Disc Players: Oppo, Marantz, or Denon

The History Kid

Here's a tidbit on the 95; originally it had th ecapability to play ISO files but then the 'industry' challenged Oppo and they updated the firmware to dis-allow it. Players with the older software command a higher premium. I sold my 95 with the older software for a good price because I didn't play ISO files and that is how I ended up with the 105. Figure if I was spending that much I would go with the Darby model; I should have saved that hun.

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?51814-OPPO-BDP-93-95-FW-Upgrade

Edited by USNRET

I'd look for a used Oppo BDP-83 since budget is a big concern. Even though it is an older model, it still has 7.1 out, HDMI as well as component video etc...... really all sorts of stuff. One of the biggest benefits of Oppo over most other brands is the content it will play. If you could load a piece of gravel into the tray it would try and play it. I have some PAL DVD stuff from my favorite band (they are German) and my Oppo plays it fine. Oppo is actually a "value" brand in terms of bang for the buck on the lower tier models. 

Bryant

Just for grins I went to Oppo site. They discontinued the 105 and only sell the 105D now????

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/

Wow I did not know that. In that case a trade and you give me the C-note since mine is harder to come by.....lol

Check your email but don't let it go to the spam locker as I have a Nigerian adress.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

Go Oppo. We're using the BDP 103 in the HT system and it works beautifully. Based on some recent bad experience with their CD players, I no longer trust Marantz' quality. Three lemons in a row with the CD6005 from Music Direct, and I've been a fan of Marantz' house sound for many years. Most disappointing and I would not take a chance on one of their multi-disc units.