Lord of the Rings DVD is just AWESOME

Dafishguy

Hi all,

Well here's another disk for your demo library. I picked this disk up yesterday and gave it a spin last night. WOW, this disk has a THX-EX certified Dolby Digital sound track with earth shaking bass that dosen't quit. The sound is some of the best I have ever heard on a DVD. When the Wrathes shreek, it goes right through you. There are many places in the movie where the bass is sub 20 hz. This is bass that you only feel. You don't hear this bass, it just shakes your pant legs and the chair your sitting in. (As well as everything else within a 50 foot radius) Just imagine if the extended four disk set coming in November has a DTS-ES sound track. It will be unbelievable. The movie runs almost 3 hours so they couldn't fit a DTS track on the disk or they would have had to add a third disk to this set. I'm sure the collectors edition with an additional 30 minutes of scenes and four disks will have a DTS-ES track. I enjoyed this movie in the theatre but I enjoyed it even more on DVD. The sound was better and the picture was as clear as in the theatre albeit not as big. I HIGHLY recommend this disk for your library. Buy it as soon as you can... You won't be disappointed.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sweeet! I just picked this DVD up myself last night (had it on pre-order for the past couple months). Unfortunatly, I did not get the chance to spin it up yet. After reading the above, now I cannot wait till after work to try it out! I already have the "extended/director's cut" version on pre-order! I also very impatiently awaiting the next LotR (The Two Towers) movie to come out in the theater.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

I've had this disc a week now and have watched it several times. Demo disc for sure although I'm failing to see the word THX anywhere on the box. The version that is just out now only has DD-EX whatever that is. I thought EX was exclusive to DTS audio. Speaking of THX did you guys hear the big news about splitting from Lucas?

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Hi synthfreek,

The THX certification note is shown when you first start the DVD. It says "This is a THX certified feature" or something like that. Yes I heard about the sell out of THX to that Singapore company. I can't believe George Lucas sold it because he needed money. I just don't understand how you could sell something that you worked so hard to make into a standard. That Singapore company will rape and pilage the standard making is worthless in no time. However, your current disks still have some credibility with THX standard. But I fear this will change and THX will be a meaningless sales gimmick. I truly hope I'm wrong.

Skonopa, you and I sound like we have alot in common. I too am picking up the Collectors Edition in November... And I too can't wait for the Two Towers movie. It should be great.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

dafishguy,

Are you talking about the whole movie sounding like that or a soundtrack on the movie. My ksw-12 was going nuts on volume -60 and I normally listen to movies at -40 (my son was in the room and I did not want to to loud for him.) I have to agree it was a great moive. I never saw it in the theater but knew I was going to get the dvd. And at 16.49 at the local wal mart for wide screen who could resist.??

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Harman Kardon TC-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

thx on disk doesn't amount to much, but the EX can. that's the format developed by dolby & thx to allow for the matrixed rear center channel, & 1 or 2 rear surround speakers, if you have those & the processing in your receiver/prepro.

dts uses ES. & that can be either ES 6.1 matrix or ES 6.1 discrete. "the haunting" was the 1st to use ES discrete.

anyway, i'll have to rent this 1. thanks!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I finally got to watch my copy tonight and holy $#/+ was that awesome!!! No kidding about the bass! I definitly gave that REL a serious workout! Talk about feeling the low effects! There are several of my friends that said that want to come over and see it as soon as it came out on DVD (we all went to the movies to watch it back in december). I think this'll completely blow them away when they see it on my Klipsch based HT Smile.gif

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Got it and watced it yesterday, the sound is increadable, this is a definate disc toshow off your system.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

really enjoyed it last night! followed the book closely enough, and wasn't dissapointed w/the rendition of what i imagined the characters would look like. CAN'T WAIT for the next!! great sound, epic story.

avman.cwm39.gif

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I rented the LOTR DVD & sadly enough I couldn't enjoy the DD EX just due 2 the fact that the sound kept fading away ... AAARRRGGGHHH!!! ... o well just have 2 wait untill november when the DTS Ex comes out ...

------------------

HTS:

- Reciever Onkyo TX DS595

- DVD Onkyo DV-S535

- Xbox

- TV Grundig Xentia 82 Flat

- Klipsch Quintet Microsystem

- Klisch KSW 10 Sub

I guess it is one of those if you read the book you will love the movie syndrome things.. The movie is long,zzzzzzzzzzzzzz But it also has it's moments too.

BUT BORING!!!!!!

That said, the picture quality and sound are a 9-10

So I am at a loss...Great technically, but not worth getting too hyped about. Besides..I guess their is a better version comming out in NOV so all you LOTR big fans, might want to hold off and get the one with all the goodies and extras too.

Indy,

Boring? BORING???

"YOU - SHALL NOT - PASS!!!!"

This was one of the most thrilling films I saw last year, and has rocketed to at (or near) the top of my all-time favorite films.

Of course, I do love the source material, but even my wife (who usually does not like SF or Fantasy) liked this and has seen it all seven of the times I have...

I hardly think it's boring... yes it is long, but damn if it's not a great movie. Not to mention the shear sound quality involved. But then, everyone has their tastes for movies, some find then interesting, while some find them boring or just "average." But hey everybody's different.

Well thanks for not shooting this messenger...LOL

OK, how about just too long, and the plot at times is "clouded" to where your going as the viewer!

I do agree, as stated, "Great sound, great visuals" Thats why I gave it a 9-10 in picture quality looking at the effects and in sound also.

Glad were all "still" friends.

Whine, Wimmper and Moan.

I have had this DVD from Netflix for over a week now and I still have not had a chance to watch it. cwm23.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Harman Kardon DVD-50(DD, DTS)

VIDEO: InFocus ScreenPlay DLP Projector

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>