Amp choice for Epic CF-2?

Thrasher

I am just getting started a bit.... ok, a lot...

I have a pair of Epic CF-2, ver.1, all stock no mods, that I hooked up to my Marantz 2270 (little over 70 wpc). The sound is good, but they seem under powered. Any suggestions? I had been under the impression that these speakers would come to life with this set up. Not the case? Ideas or suggestions would be great. They don't sound bad, they just don't really hit or sound as I'd think they should. I may sell the 2270 and look for something different. Suggestions?

Also, I am still needing to add a sub and a nice cd player as well. Not wanting to go too modern...so keeping that in mind when trying to choose an amp as well.

Edited by Thrasher
  • Like 1

Amp suggestions, or are there too many nice amps to pair those with?

I have not tried this yet, but what I think may be a good match would be the Rogue Audio Sphinx integrated amp, it is a tube hybrid which still gives a bit tube sound but a solid state output fro the power. The Sphinx is 100wpc and it is getting good reviews.

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_sphinx.htm

As I said in another post, I think the CF's and some Klipsch like more power. I have CF3's and am using a 100wpc Yamaha.

Bob

I agree as well... The Epic CF's and the KLF series seem to really like a good, solid amp. Even on my CF-1's, I'm using a Carver 6250 receiver (rated 125 wpc) and they sound great.

One thing about the CF's is they are smoother and more laid back. And I think it catches some people by surprise, as they don't have the typical "Klipsch" sound.

Now I wouldn't run the full rated power (200 wpc continuous, 800 wpc peak) through a nice set of CF-2's. But I think those specs say a lot about what they're capable of.

http://www.klipsch.com/cf-2/details

Edited by GPBusa

I have my cf4's with a marantz 2252b for the highs and use the preamp outs to feed a crest ca6 pro amp rated a 350 @ 8 ohms to power the woofers. They sounds very very good with the benefit of being pasively biamped and able to tame the tweeter or up the woofers if you wish.. I highly suggest you give it a try. Try doing some research. Might just be a better cheaper option for you as well and you can keep the marantz. Hope i helped and dont hesitate to concact me with further questions.

Alex

i have read that the CF3's and 4's can dip below 3 ohms and though efficient, can be demanding on an amplifier.  You want a amp that can handle the dips and not strain.   I used a Rotel RB991 for many years and loved the sound with my CF3's. It was 200 watts a side at 8ohms and over 300 watts at 4. Does your Marantz have preouts for adding an amp. 

i have read that the CF3's and 4's can dip below 3 ohms and though efficient, can be demanding on an amplifier.  You want a amp that can handle the dips and not strain.  

I called a Klipsch tech support about this a few years back and he told me the impedance can dip, I think the best amp would be solid state as sometimes tubes like a fairly flat or even impedance range.

Edited by rbtwsp

With so many quality options, is it merely a matter of flipping a coin at this point based on item availability? Bang for the buck with all the previous options listed, ie Carver, Yamaha M70, Proton D1200, etc... What do you guys go off of when taking the plunge with your decisions? Take a chance and simply buy it and listen?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221691095933?rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191512688908?rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-M-70-NATURAL-SOUND-400-WATT-STEREO-POWER-AMPLIFIER-AMP-PRISTINE-/251839989199?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa2d545cf

Or, keep looking?

Edited by Thrasher

Well, I'm rather Carver biased as will anyone be to the things they own. But that M-1.0t MkII is a beast of an amp and great sounding. Russ Kall is the one who rebuilt my amp and its outstanding. There are lots of people in Carver forum who would help out in a second for anyone with Carver gear, too. The Proton I've always had a huge amour of respect for in an amp and heard it run Magnepans, Infinity Kappa 7's and 9's surprisingly well, too. That Yamaha is a good amp but I've not personally had as much dealings with them. I'd be careful with that seller though as they have a 0 feedback rating and he gives NO description of his own about the amp; just a copy/paste from a website or another auction. I'd steer clear of that one unless it could be picked up locally.