Klipschorn corner placement

boubou

Hello,

I've attached a few pictures showing the corner placement of my two speakers. Because of wall mouldings and right side radiator my speakers cannot be placed flush into the corners. There is 1 to 2 inch distance from the wall. I get very good bass response nevertheless. Also the speakers are on the respective corners of a 25 foot length wall. By my calculations there is a 19 foot or so space between the two speakers. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

post-60846-0-49000000-1424467859_thumb.j

post-60846-0-80440000-1424467877_thumb.j

post-60846-0-08000000-1424467891_thumb.j

Edited by boubou

Guest Steven1963

Welcome to the forums!

Are you not happy with the sound as they are placed?  You say you are getting very good base response but you are posting and asking for suggestions.  So I'm not sure (and I'm sure others will feel the same) what you are asking?

• Like 1

You need a 3/4"  4' X 8' sheet of Baltic Birch, a decent table saw, Black paint and a Cordless drill.    Enclosing the backs of your K-horns is simple and will make a huge difference in the sound as compared to them not being sealed with a wall.  Its shockingly simple and the screws don't go into the speaker cabinet, they're simply shot into the braces of the tail board and the braces on the side grills. I was pretty nervous about doing mine, but once I took a look at where the screws went and how it wasn't permanent, I did it and it was very, very easy.     I have been so happy with enclosing mine, I haven't even pulled them back off to paint them black yet !

Edited by Max2
  • Like 2

Just get 1 or 2 inch pipe foam and seal the speaker to the wall do not forget the horizontal top part of the bass bin where the bass bin starts. I also noted they sit on hard wood .....go get what they use to call grippers at wally world ...but what they are is little pads that keep items from sliding on slick floors and they will also insulate cabinet from the floor.    Rick

• Like 1

I think they look pretty nice where they are, and since you think they sound good, I suggest caution about fixing something that ain't broke.  If you attach something on the back, you might end up pushing them into the room, which might show or might not, depending on how the panels come out at their edge, and might create unintended conflicts with other furnishings or that radiator.  The radiator doesn't look like it has a lot of clearance from your K's.

Some recommend building false corners.  One member IMO got carried away with it, and ended up with big, indecorous wood slabs on each side of both K's.  Not worth it to me!  I have a window sill on one side that caused me to cut a notch in my side grill, because I had a bass problem and the displacement showed a bit too much.  I had to really cut up a grill frame because of an oversized heat register on the other side, which the grill cloth covered over, fortunately.

Slow and easy is the word from here....

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

You need a 3/4"  4' X 8' sheet of Baltic Birch, a decent table saw, Black paint and a Cordless drill.    Enclosing the backs of your K-horns is simple and will make a huge difference in the sound as compared to them not being sealed with a wall.  Its shockingly simple and the screws don't go into the speaker cabinet, they're simply shot into the braces of the tail board and the braces on the side grills. I was pretty nervous about doing mine, but once I took a look at where the screws went and how it wasn't permanent, I did it and it was very, very easy.     I have been so happy with enclosing mine, I haven't even pulled them back off to paint them black yet !

Thanks very much for this insight. It makes a lot of sense. 

Welcome to the forums!

Are you not happy with the sound as they are placed?  You say you are getting very good base response but you are posting and asking for suggestions.  So I'm not sure (and I'm sure others will feel the same) what you are asking?

Thanks Steve. I am happy but a bit of a perfectionist. The insight I received from Max2 may up the performance to another level. Also by showing a picture of their placement other members with similar placement may be able to offer some insight. 

Just get 1 or 2 inch pipe foam and seal the speaker to the wall do not forget the horizontal top part of the bass bin where the bass bin starts. I also noted they sit on hard wood .....go get what they use to call grippers at wally world ...but what they are is little pads that keep items from sliding on slick floors and they will also insulate cabinet from the floor.    Rick

Great suggestion. I presently have round felt pads. The beige foam carpet grippers will give better coverage. Thanks for that!

I think they look pretty nice where they are, and since you think they sound good, I suggest caution about fixing something that ain't broke.  If you attach something on the back, you might end up pushing them into the room, which might show or might not, depending on how the panels come out at their edge, and might create unintended conflicts with other furnishings or that radiator.  The radiator doesn't look like it has a lot of clearance from your K's.

Some recommend building false corners.  One member IMO got carried away with it, and ended up with big, indecorous wood slabs on each side of both K's.  Not worth it to me!  I have a window sill on one side that caused me to cut a notch in my side grill, because I had a bass problem and the displacement showed a bit too much.  I had to really cut up a grill frame because of an oversized heat register on the other side, which the grill cloth covered over, fortunately.

Slow and easy is the word from here....

Sound advice. Thank you.

Guest Steven1963

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks Steve. I am happy but a bit of a perfectionist. The insight I received from Max2 may up the performance to another level. Also by showing a picture of their placement other members with similar placement may be able to offer some insight. 

Ahh a perfectionist!  Then you'll want to rip down that wall molding, move that radiator and raise that ceiling (if 8 foot) and get those speakers tight against the corners and walls.  :rolleyes:

But you knew that already.  

I am envious of the width and the length of the room you have them in.  Can I ask what year those are?  Perhaps they could benefit from a capacitor replacement?  Anything more than about 20 years and those caps are drying out. How loud do you listen? Some of the networks that the guys make on here might be something to look into depending on your listening levels (extreme slope) and what you thing needs to be changed - such as too much midrange or treble, etc.... carpeting in front of the speakers helps to absorb some of the higher frequencies.  

Long story short you've come to the right place if you want suggestions about how to make your Klipschorns sound as good as they were made to sound. Everyone on this site is extremely helpful and very pleasant to deal with.

• Like 3

Hello,

I've attached a few pictures showing the corner placement of my two speakers. Because of wall mouldings and right side radiator my speakers cannot be placed flush into the corners. There is 1 to 2 inch distance from the wall. I get very good bass response nevertheless. Also the speakers are on the respective corners of a 25 foot length wall. By my calculations there is a 19 foot or so space between the two speakers. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

please turn you speakers vertical

• Like 1

Hey    Max2   why not seal those holes at bottom also ? Rick

I actually already have 9" pieces to do that, I have just been enjoying them so much I haven't pulled them back off to add them yet.

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures. Looks super straight forward! I could probably do it myself! Looks great!

No sweat Boubou and thank you.

A member here Davis419b was they guy that filled me in with the idea and the "how to".   Apparently he has done several pair this way and would be a great source of info.

Edited by Max2
  • Like 1