Next up, Lil Wrecker

CECAA850

Those two bottom panel braces add no structural value to the cabinet.

Leave them off another is built, its just added weight.

As in the past when you've felt the need to critique my work, I'll pass on your advice.

I'm not sure if its part of the plans or not, i have not built one but the braces are about as much use as a pair of severed floor joists holding up a floor.

Learning is a good part of construction, take my word of advice and experience as a good thing not as a criticism of you in general.

Don't be so hostile. :rolleyes:

The braces are attached at the back and bottom.  There's no other way to brace the floor.  If your advice didn't always come across as thinly veiled criticism I might take it seriously.  It's the same thing as posting a smiley after calling someone hostile.

• Like 1

Carl,

Is this a one off, or are you taking orders? :D

It's not a one off as the plans are readily available at the link I (think I) provided at the beginning of the thread.  It may be a one off as the driver was specially built to handle the power of Ronnies amp.  I think I got the one and only D4 coil Ficar had.  The dual 1 or dual 2 Ohm standard coils could be used with other amps though.  I would imagine shipping would be cost prohibitive.  It might be cheaper to find a local builder.

I dont know, I see that TV show called shipping wars. The site is called Uship and it seems if you could find one already taking the trip, adding something like this (strictly guessing) would be $ 400.00 ish? Still dont know if its cost effective though.

Cant wait till Carl fires it up (hopefully tonight) and bring it to life. 

• Like 1

THERES A VID OF IT BLOWING A CANDLE OUT!!! Claudej1's 2 dts10's could of came close but not quite although not sure if anybody has tried with them

Just for you beeker, I tried it with a bic lighter.  It blew it out about a foot from the mouth and it wasn't all the way up.

I have the new driver in, up and running.  This thing is DEEP and POWERFUL.  People throw around superlatives all the time regarding subs so I won't even try.  I can however say that is the most powerful single driver sub I've ever built, period.  My garage is a terrible place to test cabs as I work in the middle of the floor and it's very open.  With the garage doors down, it was shaking everything inside.  My daughter came out and said she could feel it in the kitchen (not hear, feel!).  We have a slab house and detached garage.  At one point I reached in to feel the assembly to make sure nothing was getting warm and it literally hurt my chest.  The whole session the amp and driver both ran cool which was awesome.  I don't think Ron will ever test it's limits in his house. 

• Like 4

Well, next Saturday will be transport day. Thank You Carl for your kind offer to help me set this thing up. Its hard for me to get my head around this beast and cant wait till Lil Wrecker and I become more acquainted. Its kinda intimidating till I learn it. 

• Like 1

THERES A VID OF IT BLOWING A CANDLE OUT!!! Claudej1's 2 dts10's could of came close but not quite although not sure if anybody has tried with them

Just for you beeker, I tried it with a bic lighter.  It blew it out about a foot from the mouth and it wasn't all the way up.

I have the new driver in, up and running.  This thing is DEEP and POWERFUL.  People throw around superlatives all the time regarding subs so I won't even try.  I can however say that is the most powerful single driver sub I've ever built, period.  My garage is a terrible place to test cabs as I work in the middle of the floor and it's very open.  With the garage doors down, it was shaking everything inside.  My daughter came out and said she could feel it in the kitchen (not hear, feel!).  We have a slab house and detached garage.  At one point I reached in to feel the assembly to make sure nothing was getting warm and it literally hurt my chest.  The whole session the amp and driver both ran cool which was awesome.  I don't think Ron will ever test it's limits in his house. 

Honest question- what is the reason you need a sub this powerful? Is it good to have the headroom or if you have a large space to energize or is this more just an exercise to see how much bass you can produce from a horned sub?

Honest question- what is the reason you need a sub this powerful? Is it good to have the headroom or if you have a large space to energize or is this more just an exercise to see how much bass you can produce from a horned sub?

There's a lot of reasons.

Headroom is a good thing.  The easier a sub works, the less distortion it produces.

This sub has to keep up with 2 speakers that are 101dB efficient.

He has a very open (lossy) floorplan

In order to reproduce HT content that's frequently below 20Hz, you need a powerful sub that won't drop off and keep up with the mains even when playing below 20Hz.

• Like 3

There's a lot of reasons.

Headroom is a good thing.  The easier a sub works, the less distortion it produces.

This sub has to keep up with 2 speakers that are 101dB efficient.

He has a very open (lossy) floorplan

In order to reproduce HT content that's frequently below 20Hz, you need a powerful sub that won't drop off and keep up with the mains even when playing below 20Hz.

Ok that makes sense. How low can the Lil Wrecker go before dropping off? Also, how many movies actually have ULF below 20 Hz?

it's illogical until you have one :P

Lol I have been meaning to Visit Cantilope for a while now to hear his THT, I will probably be hooked.

On a separate note, would it be possible to create a IB/Folded horn hybrid in which the back of the driver fired into the attic space but shot forward through a horn then into the room?

Ok that makes sense. How low can the Lil Wrecker go before dropping off?

The box is tuned to 17Hz and should be flat to there.  Below that you'll get some room again and useful output to the low teens I would guess but you'd actually have to measure to be sure.  There's TONS of content below 20 Hz in movies. 

• Like 1