Next up, Lil Wrecker

CECAA850

that sub looks like some serious fun!

I can't wait to fire it up.  I built the custom input bridge cable for the amp last night.  All I have left to do is wire and install the Neutric connector on the back of the box and put the corresponding end on the speaker wire and I should be ready to go.  It should be nasty outside this weekend here so I should have time, especially if I don't have to work in the yard. 

That's not for the faint of heart. The guys make it look easy. IT IS NOT!

It is cool. I am an industrial technician by trade and have not taken an automobile to a mechanic in 20 years. Having said that, I have never replaced a convertible top. On the other hand, building a subwoofer would probably be more of a challenge. I can program a PLC (industrial computer) wire up ANY industrial machine, weld.... mig, tig or stick, braze and solder. I know hydraulics, pneumatics, chains and sproclets etc.etc. However, I cant cut a 2X4 in a straight line with a skillsaw. My skill with wood is sooo poor, it is almost embarrassing, given I work with my hands and tools for a livng. I am good with a sawzall and jigsaw because we use it to cut "other" materials in the industrial world, but I need to get my wood skills up, or we need more steel subwoofer designs out there and a sharp decline in sheet metal prices. >:P~

Bryant 

• Like 2

Carl I looked at how fast the build was going at it only took a few minutes to read all the comment and look at the pic's.  This reminds me of Home Time, the DIY home guys.  They can build 1/2 a house in a half hour.  I just thought you would enjoy a little humor with this build.  Nice work!

Thanks, I wish I could build that fast.  If I posted my progress in real time, the thread would hit the second page of the subwoofer section every time I posted a picture :lol:

It looks great brother !! I am jealous.

Bryant

but I need to get my wood skills up

I'm closer to a wood butcher than a carpenter.  The only way to learn is to build something and make mistakes.  I've never had a lesson or been taught anything.  Trial and error (lots of error) have been my teacher.  Build enough stuff and one day you can build something presentable.  It worked for me.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the pics. Now I am feeling a bit wimpy with my F20s. I wonder how it would fit in as a third sub with the F20s taking 25HZ and above and letting this do the low stuff?

Ha ha ha..... you can't keep up. Someone will eventually build one the size of a minivan. In theory, I suppose you could build one that would go down to 1hz that would knock you over if you walked by it, but you would never hear it. Ha ha ha. Not that the F20 and this not so lil' wrecker are overkill, by any means. I saw the theoretical freq res and SPL on the F20 and it was bad donkey !!

Bryant

I saw the theoretical freq res and SPL on the F20 and it was bad donkey !!

This one shows 118 dB @ 17Hz @ 1 meter.  Not bad for a single 15" driver.  It's nearly 130dB @ 65 Hz!

17hz. Yep. That is getting close to where I said it will blow you off balance, yet you can't hear it. ^__^  I appreciate it in "real" world stuff though for a reason . The movie fans will have orga..nisms, obviously, but I appreciate it for the fact I want to hear 0db loss @36.7 hz. That frequency is drop "D" on a standard electric bass guitar. Any lower..... no matter the power is not "musical" in my ear. The POWER of a bass guitar on the "open E" string is mind numbing, but different bands tune differently, so E is not always E. I tune in E-flat generally, just for example.

Bryant

I want to hear 0db loss @36.7 hz. That frequency is drop "D" on a standard electric bass guitar. Any lower..... no matter the power is not "musical" in my ear.

So the first three notes of a 5-string bass isn't musical but the rest of it is?

The POWER of a bass guitar on the "open E" string is mind numbing, but different bands tune differently, so E is not always E. I tune in E-flat generally, just for example.

I like bass guitar as much as anybody as I played for 20 years but this kind of bass from live music doesn't translate well to your living room stereo. I used to play through six Yamaha 18's powered by 4,000 watts as well as my normal 4x12 cab, that was on a solid mahogany custom hand built 5-string bass with three adjustable position pickups positioned where the lowest notes were picked up nice and clear, especially a low B. In our practice space I literally damaged the drywall. Groupie type of girls would come over and sit on the sub cabinets. It was literally too much fun. But, I'm never going to find a recording where I can play it at home and expect the bass guitar to sound the same. If anybody can figure it out please let me know but from what I've seen that ain't going to happen.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I want to hear 0db loss @36.7 hz. That frequency is drop "D" on a standard electric bass guitar. Any lower..... no matter the power is not "musical" in my ear.

So the first three notes of a 5-string bass isn't musical but the rest of it is?

The POWER of a bass guitar on the "open E" string is mind numbing, but different bands tune differently, so E is not always E. I tune in E-flat generally, just for example.

I like bass guitar as much as anybody as I played for 20 years but this kind of bass from live music doesn't translate well to your living room stereo. I used to play through six Yamaha 18's powered by 4,000 watts as well as my normal 4x12 cab, that was on a solid mahogany custom hand built 5-string bass with three adjustable position pickups positioned where the lowest notes were picked up nice and clear, especially a low B. In our practice space I literally damaged the drywall. Groupie type of girls would come over and sit on the sub cabinets. It was literally too much fun. But, I'm never going to find a recording where I can play it at home and expect the bass guitar to sound the same. If anybody can figure it out please let me know but from what I've seen that ain't going to happen.

I feel you as well as far as playing bass. I am a guitarist at heart, but I am a multi-instrumentalist (not a guitarist that can simply bang at other instruments) and I actually started playing bass before guitar, and played it for about a year before deciding to play the six string. My first electric guitar was a 1963 Gibson SG bass. I even owned an American five string all hog Rich Bich. However, all the songs I liked were done in notes D and above. I am far from saying it sounds bad my brother.... it is simply not my personal taste and just below what clicks in my mind as music. I would have loved to hear low B at few thousand watts on your rig. Had I heard it up close and personal, that few notes of an octave may have changed my mind when played by a musician not involved in "extreme metal."

Bryant

that few notes of an octave may have changed my mind when played by a musician not involved in "extreme metal."

funk nasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8mnPtldtck

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

That's not for the faint of heart. The guys make it look easy. IT IS NOT!

It is cool. I am an industrial technician by trade and have not taken an automobile to a mechanic in 20 years. Having said that, I have never replaced a convertible top. On the other hand, building a subwoofer would probably be more of a challenge. I can program a PLC (industrial computer) wire up ANY industrial machine, weld.... mig, tig or stick, braze and solder. I know hydraulics, pneumatics, chains and sproclets etc.etc. However, I cant cut a 2X4 in a straight line with a skillsaw. My skill with wood is sooo poor, it is almost embarrassing, given I work with my hands and tools for a livng. I am good with a sawzall and jigsaw because we use it to cut "other" materials in the industrial world, but I need to get my wood skills up, or we need more steel subwoofer designs out there and a sharp decline in sheet metal prices. > :P~

Bryant 

I feel your pain . I was a maintenance mechanic in my younger days and could do almost anything with metal .

Decide to build a mailbox out of wood one day, and what a disaster ! It was truly embarrassing  :wacko:

Edited by Gnote
  • Like 2