Something about the alert section

Woofers and Tweeters

It's certainly a more gentlemanly game dealing with fellow brothers here on the Forum. I recall Dtel picking up LSI for me until I could arrange a pony express, meeting Picky at an early Allen Park pickup, numerous trades at various Cracker Barrels (always at major interstate interchanges). Sadly some of the CL offerings on Alerts aren't nearly the community feel. It feels lousy when bidding or racing with other Forum members to a good deal.

Sorry if I've been a bit of stick in the mud about it, selling speakers from my decade old collection has made me grumpy as of late...

understandable....as my better half once told me, "you have enjoyed these spkrs, but now its time for someone else to get some enjoyment from them."

especially with all the absolutely killer spkrs you have, its got to be hard!

Edited by angusruler

I hate selling my gear! I do enjoy collecting more though. I'm at the point where I have to reduce my collection or move. I'm dreading it, and have been putting it off for years. I will not ship any of the big stuff. I'd have no problem having a forum member over, but I don't open my door to CL. Maybe it's just my area, but the responses I get are unbelievable! Best of luck with your downsizing, you've got some great stuff.

Lately there seems to be quite a few Newbies posting in the forum garage sale area and never another post on the forum.  Not much different IMHO than putting a listing on CL.  Sign up and sale.  Of course there the postings where forum members will vouch for the Newbie listing.        

If they are deals that I want, I will contact the seller and I won't post it here. 

If someone posts the deal, I will say that I have contacted the seller. 

Unlike the Garage Sale section, where we know the seller, and can know who contacted the seller and when.

In the Alerts section, many people could have contacted the seller (forum and non forum members) and you have no idea of the order.

Also, you don't know the seller, so they may play the "best offer" game.

Is it flawed?  Yes, but I think it is better than nothing.

I post here to try to help other members out, I know lots of non members watch the alerts section as well.

It is much more effective for me to contact local members about deals, several members have benefited from this (some a lot). :D

It might best for members that want to buy gear to give their location, what they are looking for, and whether they are willing to help pickup/hold gear for others.  This way, the deals can be PM'd to members close to the deal without advertising to the full forum (this has worked well for me and others).

One would hope that people will be willing to pick up good deals for other members, especially the insanely good ones.

Let's not that this section too serious.  I won't knowingly try to poach a deal that someone else here is going for, others might...

Consider the contact list idea.  I am willing to help.  I would prefer people list what they need not just "any awesome deal available."

Let's spread the love around. :P

• Like 2

i agree with what opus said. however, as he mentioned i think there are others, members & non members that basically just poach this section to find "deals" with no other intention but making money.  have seen quite a few posts as of late that members actually say thats what they would do.  "oh, thats a great deal & theres money to be made." nothing wrong with that i guess, but to me that is taking advantage of this section & other people, members & non members.  if your goal is just to find deals & poach off this section you are basically a "flipper" & ruin any good deals for others.  that can be frustrating to others that are really just looking to OWN a certain model of klipsch speaker, upgrading or adding to their system.  once something is posted here its pretty much a race to get it & all youre doing is fighting with other "members" that may or may not have good intentions.

& on the same note, has anyone noticed all the "WANTED" ads on craigslist lately for "VINTAGE STEREO GEAR"  those guys are exactly what im talking about, they are "vultures" with no other intention but to buy stuff super cheap & then turn around & flip it for a huge profit, i know of quite a few of them in my searches lately.  if you watch craigslist regularly you will see speakers or gear that was listed a few weeks ago for a great deal that was snaked by a vulture only to be relisted for 2-4 times what they paid. ruins the hobby. 

personally i have owned & sold maybe 5 pairs of klipsch speakers over a 15+ year timeframe, sold each pair for basically what i paid for them, i didnt jack up the price because of what the market was or has become due to false factors.  its kind of like the barret-jackson auction effect on classic cars, just because a super rare or top level restoration mustang sold for $50k does not mean every run of the mill mustang out there is worth that.  same applies to "most" klipsch speakers, these arent rare by any means there are probably 10's of thousands of fortes, & chorus & other heritage speakers out there that should sell for less than half what they sold for new.  but because of the flippers all the good deals you see get snagged up & then prices jaked up so they can make a buck.   

sorry for the long rant, but after you see that happen it becomes obvious there are those types out there & that is what ruins this hobby for others just starting out or wanting to upgrade or change their system.  unfortunantly the alerts section has started to contribute to this.  bottom line, if you see something you want, probably best to not post it here, & as opus said, if you see something you know another members has been looking for, PM them the info because posting it here just attracts the vultures & its all down hill from there! 

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with the two main points of alerts -

1) Point out scams and things that are questionable or to be careful with

2) Alert others about good deal, historically significant items, and oddities. 

Of course, it is generally good form to withdraw the thread if a member is actively pursuing an item and lets you know they are chasing it.

A more personal alert method is to pm local people as to a sale.

There is a fine line between alerting people in the region that are forum members and alerting everyone and their brother about a good deal. There are a couple people on AK who carpet bomb all good estate sales every week, ensuring a very stiff competition for desirable gear. Lots of people get offended when someone forever is alerting everyone nationwide about a good deal in Mayberry, and you happen to be in Mayberry hoping to get the good deal on the final day of the sale.

And BTW, i have a  thread in the garage sale side about some great estate items at great prices. :ph34r:

• Like 1