Bob Dylans Sings The Great American Song Book

thebes

Dylans latest intrigues. The last person I'd think of to hit the great American song book, but that's just what he's doing with his latest studio release "Shadows in the Night".

I've listened to a couple of cuts from this on utube, and I'm pretty sure that this is not what his voice was crafted for.  No I'm not one of those who think his voice is shot. I consider it's current state to be perfect for his music.  I hated Dylan when everybody loved him and now I couldn't be more happy.

What I wondering, though, has anyone actually bought this and what are your impressions.

His only major interview on this album, was, get this, in the AARP magazine.  He says in there that they were all recorded live, each songs taking about 3 hours to finalize. He used  just his regular band (sterling musicians by the way) plus a couple of other instruments on some songs.

I also note it's available on wax at 180 grams pressing.

post-12696-0-06300000-1426120606_thumb.j

What I wondering, though, has anyone actually bought this and what are your impressions.

Best song writer in the business--hands down, by far.

Haven’t bought it.

Considered seeing his concert; but, read that he was doing very little of his old stuff (pre-80s)--which happen to be the ones i like best.

My impressions?  I do a pretty good Bullwinkle and a decent Yogi Bear, and I’ve nailed the Randy Mantooth on acid impression. 

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 2

I heard segments of cuts on NPR when the interviewed the the guy from AARP. I couldn't believe how good his voice sounded. Far better than his Christmas album.

The interviewer, Robert Love, came from Rolling Stone, which is partly how AARP got the only interview.

Bruce

• Like 1

Cool comments guys.  Forgot to mention that there is no mixing on this album, which means no compression and other artifacts that can be the bane of the a good album.

He tours a lot. They've taken to calling it the Endless Tour. Kinda like Willie Nelson and The Stones, always on the road.

Forgot to mention that there is no mixing on this album, which means no compression and other artifacts that can be the bane of the a good album.
Compression is used a lot in live situations and of course it is mixed. Has to be mixed to get the balance between instruments. Not enough facts...

Bruce

Hey Bruce,

I'm just going according to what Dylan said in the interview.  Here's his direct quotes:

In his 36th studio album, Dylan leads a five-piece band including two guitars, bass and pedal steel, and occasional horns, in austere and beautiful arrangements that were recorded live. It is a quiet, moody record with “no heavy drums and no piano,” he says more than once.

(another Dylan quote: "But! I did record those songs, believe it or not, in that same order that you hear them. We would usually get one song done in three hours. There’s no mixing. That’s just the way it sounded. No dials, nothing enhanced, nothing — that’s it. It’s been done wrong too many other times. I wanted to do it rightly."

"Rightly" sure does sound like a work Dylan would use.

• Like 1