Hey lawyer dudes

USNRET

• Moderators

This smells of a cover-up. First, they had her clearly for DWI but no such charges were ever filed. This allowed a circumvention of the justice system completely in this regard. Had they charged here with DWI in the first place minimum sentencing standards would have come into play.

This is not simply a case of being lenient because she was a judge, this is a case of completely sweeping the issue under the rug.

Animal Farm. Plain and simple.

We don't have minimum sentencing in Texas on a first DWI if you get probation. There is a state mandated class and a mandatory surcharge.

I haven't seen the facts of yet or the video.

The video on here may be on this link,

http://m.krgv.com/news/Commission-Issues-Admonition-of-Justice-Longoria/31928466

• Moderators

This is typical. I don't see the big deal.

People who are generally-perceived as "respected" citizens are treated with more leniency. Usually, their accomplishments (or lack thereof) tend to tell you whether they are the type that needs a good whoopin' or not.

Why not cut an accomplished, first-time offender some slack? I'd rather see that than the "zero tolerance," "one size fits all" disciplinary policies that schools, for instance, implemented in order to avoid perceived "favoritism." When assessing whether to punish and to what degree, a person's accomplishments ought to be considered. Just my 2 cents...

while I might tend to agree with this on some levels, I can not with judges or police, How can one charge / judge someone for failing to follow a law when they themselves do not follow it............................Hypocrisy at the highest level

Agree with Carl POS.

That depends. Do we have any evidence that she sentenced first-time offenders to hell?

Judges are supposed to be people, too. I know if I was standing before a judge, needing a little mercy, I'd sure want that judge to see me through human eyes. I wouldn't want some infallible, intolerant judge judging me. I would be afraid of that.

Judges are in very powerful positions. I think they ought to be able to relate and sympathize with normal people who find themselves caught-up in their own bad judgment. Yes, people need to pay the price for their bad judgment, but the price they pay should be a fair one. I think you might tend to get a more fair price from a judge who knows how to put a price on something through his/her own experience.

If this judge is a decent person, then, I imagine that from now on, she will temper her rulings in DWI cases by her own experience. After all, the state bar could have come down on her much harder. She got a break. These kinds of things can shape her into an even better judge.

She is an appellate judge, 13th Circuit, she won't be sentencing any one for DWI.

• Moderators

Was the engine running? Key in the ignition when they found you?

Not funny and it was in Iceland where the 'laws' are different but when hosting a party in the base housing a CD was missing and needed to be recovered from the car. Open the car door to retrieve the disc, naturally the keys were in hand, and the Icehead police decided that there was intent to drive never mind all the guests in the house and holding a compact disc. DWI.

Just a side note; we were only permitted to have 10 CDs in the vehicle and all of them had to be registered with security, change a CD take a trip to security. Couldn't have us selling compact discs on the black market.

Did you know that a properly flushed windshield wiper washer system could dispense alcohol as long as you had a tube to attach to the nozzle? No booze allowed off the 'agreed area' either.

It wasn't meant to be funny, it was a legal question relating to Thaddeus' situation of ending up in a ditch.

Trying to figure out where Iceland came into the picture, I must have skipped over something.

It wasn't meant to be funny, it was a legal question relating to Thaddeus' situation of ending up in a ditch.

Trying to figure out where Iceland came into the picture, I must have skipped over something.

Neither, I was off topic relating an un-related experience.

I was passed out in a ditch when they found me and I didn't want to see my dash cam footage played in court. So I decided to save money on a lawyer and just take responsibility for my actions. After 15 months of probation and $10k in various fees and services I had learned my lesson.

This article makes me angry.

Was the engine running? Key in the ignition when they found you?

No, yes. And they had a witness describing my attempts to get out and push it out of the mud (it was a residential area).. no small feat since I had blown out both driver side tires and driven until the rims had no lip. They were able to trace back the gouges I created in the street.

It's a moot point 8 years later. ;)

• Moderators

Neither, I was off topic relating an un-related experience.

I figured it out now.

Well, you are certainly right about Iceland being way different. Here you typically have to be either driving or operating. So there you could be at home, clearly drunk, go out to get something out of your car, like a CD and they can get you for DWI?

So there you could be at home, clearly drunk, go out to get something out of your car, like a CD and they can get you for DWI?

For some reason the quote function was malfunctioning but yes, keys in hand for whatever reason meant DWI. It was an Iceland thing.

On another occasion during my 3 years of Icelandic duty I was at a function, knew I shouldn't drive so I called a friend who came and got me. She was stopped while taking me home and was arrested for DWI. After a night in jail and immediate assignment to the military's rehab program her blood test came back 0.0. Oh, now we drop the charge.

Up there any time that you didn't call (and pay) a taxi the taxi drivers would radio a report of DWI.

Edited by USNRET

I'm not a lawyer, so I think I will save the $4.99 / month subscription they want for me to read this article.

How are the rest of you even reading it? Did you subscribe, or find it somewhere else?

I run an ad blocker in Chrome. I think it may disable some of those less intelligent pay walls.

I'm not a lawyer, so I think I will save the $4.99 / month subscription they want for me to read this article.

How are the rest of you even reading it? Did you subscribe, or find it somewhere else?

I run an ad blocker in Chrome. I think it may disable some of those less intelligent pay walls.

I run AdBlocker on Chrome also. Still wanted me to pay. :(

Thanks for the links Carl. Now I know what's up. I think that judge that let her off wants her to have his babies.

:)