Midrange horn placement

EmilC

hello gentlemen

I'm thinking of replacing the JBL 2380A clone that came with my Crites cornscalas. I dont want to perform surgery so Im looking at placing it on top of the speaker but my concern is the height. The tweeter horn would be at ear level but the midrange would be firing over my head. 

Anyone see an issue with this?

If I understand correctly, you will take the JBL 2380 which is a horn w/CD and place it on top of the CS.

The horn really doesn't need an enclosure, so no problem there.  I would suggest you aim the horn mouth downward towards your listening position.  I think you should be able to get a pretty good sound.

I'm thinking of replacing the JBL 2380A clone that came with my Crites CornScalas. I don't want to perform surgery so I'm looking at placing it on top of the speaker but my concern is the height. The tweeter horn would be at ear level but the midrange would be firing over my head. Anyone see an issue with this?

Yes.  I wouldn't "fire it over my head"--rather I'd raise the compression driver at the back of the horn to aim the midrange horn at your listening position (LP).

Other than that, you might also remove the tweeter from its cabinet position and place on top of the midrange compression driver - arranging the joints between their horns and compression driver housings to be aligned (i.e., time alignment).  The effect on the resulting soundstage won't be subtle.  If you have to, raise the tweeter up a bit more over the midrange in order to clear the midrange horn. 

I'd even flip the CornScala cabinets over 180 degrees to put the woofer at the top of the cabinet nearest the midrange horn.  Align the compression driver attachment surface with the dust cap on the woofers below, and the tweeter mounting face to its horn with the midrange compression driver.

YMMV.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

Uhhh, I believe he said put a new horn on top of the cabinet so he wouldn't have to modify the cabinet itself.

Being higher, it would depend on the vertical coverage of the new horns whether or not this would work. The horn on top could be tilted down as well.

Bruce

Uhhh, I believe he said put a new horn on top of the cabinet so he wouldn't have to modify the cabinet itself. Being higher, it would depend on the vertical coverage of the new horns whether or not this would work. The horn on top could be tilted down as well.

Easy - just stick the midrange horn mouth out in front of the cabinet in order to lay the compression driver on the top of the cabinet (like my center JuBelle in my profile).  You have to do that anyway in order to time align the midrange to the woofer.

gallery_26262_6_1571719.jpg

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I'm thinking you don't use the fireplace very often???

I don't live in cold country -- but you do. ;)

• Like 1