Hope I made the right decision...

cradeldorf

I can REALLY appreciate the narrow visual presentation of all the newer series. IF you are happy with the sound, then you should have NO regrets. After having LaScalas and now a second pair to replace them (but need parts to finish), the newer ones certainly have the WAF.

And I'm thinking I want to build a pair of the University Classics, which are even bigger. What am I thinking??!!

Bruce

• Like 1

Good that you liked your choice and most importantly the performance !!

Yeah, those jumpers/links on the connection plate were becoming loose initially. I used to tighten them every week for first few weeks. Now I check them once a 3 months and make sure that they're tight enough and haven't been affected by their own thunder :D

• Like 1

Congrats on the new speakers! Everybody has their own tastes, I wouldn't worry much about impressing anyone but yourself. I'd recommend holding on to the 30's though for at least a couple weeks while the new speakers settle in and then do one last comparison before letting them go. You might be glad you did, or not, but better to have them on hand just in case.  Enjoy the new setup!

I can't help but want to incorporate them but there is just no room no matter what. :(

I can REALLY appreciate the narrow visual presentation of all the newer series. IF you are happy with the sound, then you should have NO regrets. After having LaScalas and now a second pair to replace them (but need parts to finish), the newer ones certainly have the WAF.

And I'm thinking I want to build a pair of the University Classics, which are even bigger. What am I thinking??!!

Bruce

Your old school bruce. :) That's not a bad thing. :)

Good that you liked your choice and most importantly the performance !!

Yeah, those jumpers/links on the connection plate were becoming loose initially. I used to tighten them every week for first few weeks. Now I check them once a 3 months and make sure that they're tight enough and haven't been affected by their own thunder :D

I don't change them because they're loose I change them because they're horrible at carrying your signal cleanly. :)

I'm glad to have come across this thread.

I currently run Heresies (3 way) downstairs and RF52's (2 way) upstairs.

I think each has its own strengths; and they both sound really nice.

I was considering KLF 20s or 30s at some point (not exactly easy to find; patience needed).

I'd be interested in your final comparison in a few weeks. If you decide to part with the 30s; I'd be interested; so would many others.

Thanks for sharing!

At this point I'm considering selling the New speakers and going back to the KLF's It's easily been 3 hours since listening to them and my ears are still ringing.... Wish they made a phenolic or poly Phragm to replace that titanium one. Can't find the specs on the HF driver so hard to tell if a different phragm could be fitted into them.

Edited by cradeldorf
  • Like 1

I had the same thing with my two hours of listening to the new line of Klipsch speakers with the copper spun woofers. They sure look pretty but after a while you get a ringing in your ears and it seems to hang on....and on...

I have a pair of RC-3 II's and an RC-3 II and they seem very harsh to me after any prolonged length of time. I have them stored away and will probably be selling them. I went back to my KSB 3.1's and my KSP-S6 surrounds with a KSP-C6 center. I love the sound stage and ease of listening.

• Like 1

Well I found out one thing, they're extremely efficient at giving you tinnitus.... My ears haven't felt like this since my 604's with the aluminum Phragms.

Cradeldorf, 604's are classic speakers that are brutal on recordings... synergy in all facets are a premium using 604's, I can only use a very small percentage of recordings with mine, hurting your ears may be an integration issue or type of 604 and box.I think you should explain the type of sound you are looking for and maybe just make a box and go active with some proven drivers. I have heard from reliable sources that 604's in the right place, in some spaces designed around them can be magical. The rooms cost about 80k for the lowly 604... look up audio "bucket list" the 604 is there for a reason...

• Like 1

I had the same thing with my two hours of listening to the new line of Klipsch speakers with the copper spun woofers. They sure look pretty but after a while you get a ringing in your ears and it seems to hang on....and on...

I have a pair of RC-3 II's and an RC-3 II and they seem very harsh to me after any prolonged length of time. I have them stored away and will probably be selling them. I went back to my KSB 3.1's and my KSP-S6 surrounds with a KSP-C6 center. I love the sound stage and ease of listening.

Did you mean RF3 II's and a RC 3 II? The RF3's Have Titanium diaphragms also... I think that's whats doing it. My Altec 604's had paper cone drivers with aluminum diaphragms and although my ears rang when listening to those the ringing was nowhere near as bad as it is tonight after listening to the RF82's.

Edited by cradeldorf

Sorry, yes I was running RF3 II's with RS-3 II's and an RC-3 II center. I sold the RF-3's a little while ago but still have the other three. Whatever it is, the clarity is fantastic with the series speakers but they seem harsh over prolonged listening periods.

• Like 1