What is the purpose of a Vertical Cornwall?

• Moderators

I saw these on CL and realized they weren't the "typical" looking Corwall and remembered some comments about Vertical Cornwalls so I googled it and found the same images.  Just curious why would one want to rotate the horns vertical instead of horizontal?  I would think that limit drastically the dispersion of the horn.  Are they meant to be laid on their sides?

• Moderators

Ok, so they do turn it sideways.  That would make more sense.  The speaker would then be "shorter" and make it easier to be used as a center.   I can understand that.  Just when I googled vertical cornwall, all of the images were pairs of speakers and they were all standing upright.

On its' side or upright I think any difference you hear has more to do with the vertical alignment of the drivers from top to bottom VS. being offset as with the vertical Cornwalls.  Vertical Cornwalls sound wonderful when you get them set up in the room right.  Perhaps it could make a slight difference if you were attempting a wider sweet spot.  Of course, I actually only care about one seat... mine!   :P

Like this pair

the vertical Cornwalls with grilles are to me more appealing than the non-grilled CW Decorator - it's a lot cleaner look - wow are these nice - Klipsch really did a very nice job with that design

cornwall.jpg

So Randy, the pair I posted look like they are designed to stand upright like they are. Wouldn't that not sound as good with the horns being vertical?

for sure - The proof is that regular Cornwalls are time aligned - plus if you add a k400 to a Cornwall - Voila - super Cornwall  - super midrange - the horizontal plane is the ideal for sound quality -

Now - if you lay the CW VERTICAL  on it's side like in  this picture - the horns are in perfect alignment and must definitely sound a lot better than a CW vertical standing upright -    

-dont forget that most JBL and EV were designed with the woofer and the drivers in the vertical plane - so maybe PWK was trying to ride this wave as well until he finally went for the Horizontal placement as the ideal

vertcornwallinside.JPG

Edited by Randyh

• Moderators

Wouldn't that not sound as good with the horns being vertical?

Probably if used standing up, they probably stood them up for a picture, they are made to lay down. I really like how they made the new Ki 362 where the direction of the horns can be changed. Being made to be mounted either way for commercial instillations it makes things much easier, or to lay down for a center channel.

post-9700-0-52860000-1430711496_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wouldn't that not sound as good with the horns being vertical?

Probably if used standing up, they probably stood them up for a picture, they are made to lay down. I really like how they made the new Ki 362 where the direction of the horns can be changed. Being made to be mounted either way for commercial instillations it makes things much easier, or to lay down for a center channel.

pro quality Studio monitors are all designed where the direction of the horns can be changed -here are the best out there - the KLEIN HUMMEL , simply by removing the 4 screws and rotating the mids and tweeters assembly

$_86.JPG

Stock verticals will give you slightly better time alignment with the tweeters when the pair is arranged with them on the outside edge.  

Made to be on their side?  Made to be used either way looking at the arrows painted on the back of mine.  I kind of doubt if Paul placed them on their sides when sliding them into corners but there are many who know a lot more than me.  

• Moderators
pro quality Studio monitors are all designed where the direction of the horns can be changed

I really like that idea, it makes the speaker much more versatile however it's used.

pro quality Studio monitors are all designed where the direction of the horns can be changed

I really like that idea, it makes the speaker much more versatile however it's used.

here is how Klein Hummel describe the setup of their Tweeters and MIDS whether horizontal or Vertical   -

Quote :   The mid‑range driver and tweeter are mounted on a fully enclosed (sealed cabinet) sub‑baffle with sculpted baffle wave‑guides, which K+H call MMDs, or 'mathematically modelled dispersion' waveguides. The sculpted baffle is made from the same LRIM (Low Resonance Integral Moulding) material as used in the O300, both to provide controlled dispersion over 80 degrees horizontally and 60 vertically, and to avoid edge‑diffraction problems. If the monitor is to be used on its side, perhaps as a centre channel in a surround system, the sub‑baffle can be rotated to suit very easily.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb09/articles/kleinhummelo410.htm -

Edited by Randyh