Local accident goes national

Coytee

Traffic accident other day, several dead.  Tragic story.

I was at one of my branches (my branch in Greenback is my smallest.....and I happen to live in Greenback, this was about 4 miles from work)

I was at the Greenback branch a couple weeks ago and the manager pointed out a child in the lobby (bank) to me.  He was after a bag of popcorn.  They helped him out and the manager also handed the boy a coke.  he took that out to the car and that's the last that it was in our mind.  Don't know if he shared it with everyone in the car or had it all himself.

Later found out his family was pretty poor and enjoyed the treat (popcorn) they got at the bank on every Friday.  Seems he was one of the children killed.

This branch is "downtown" and has a diner next door.  I was at the diner yesterday for lunch and they already had a funeral donation dish out.  At this time, I had no clue what was going on or who the funeral was for.  I hadn't yet heard about the accident.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/09/6-dead-including-3-children-in-tennessee-highway-crash-authorities-say/?intcmp=latestnews

• Like 1

Very sad occurrence. And especially sad as this is close to home. I had to read this on the air, and lost composure midway. And in this size community, everyone tends to be closer knit. Tragedy hits especially hard. 

• Like 2

Today I was on that road.  I use it almost every day.  It's a well manicured road, four lane.  Speed is 55 for most of it.  Yesterday when I was talking to the folks at the branch, they said the rumor at the time was that the offending vehicles driver might have had a medical issue.  On the news last night they stated that the driver has had 3-4 prior DUI driving issues.  The insinuation was that this might have been another DUI situation.  (not very fair to the driver if it was indeed medical)

The gal at the branch was telling the manager that she was glad he'd given the boy a Coke a couple weeks ago (verses maybe shooing him out of the branch after he got his popcorn).

One never knows what tomorrow may bring.

• Like 2

Sucks, wish I hadn't entered this thread. I especially hate hearing about young kids getting hurt, particularly for stupid shyt done by someone else.

Edited by Gilbert

Sucks, wish I hadn't entered this thread. I especially hate hearing about young kids getting hurt, particularly for stupid shyt done by someone else.

Think of working in an O.R. and having to harvest organs from a child killed from falling off his bike while not wearing a bicycle helmet.

You do this just once and your kids will wear helmets.

It's all Tragic,  When it happens close to you or you have become involved it seems like it's more Tragic,  :-(

Edited by Taz