A light sprinkle last night

USNRET

Guest Steven1963

It rains a lot here - 8 months out of the year. But in the 40 years I've lived in this area we've never gotten more than about 2-3 inches of rain in a day (24 hrs - at my house). I can't imagine that much water coming down out of the sky; what it looks like and how it affects the ground.

Edited by Steven1963

Well, you can put it into perspective if it makes you feel any better... 

I vividly remember being introduced to the concept of rain over two days in 1979 in Galveston, Texas, i.e., the blue-green colored areas on the map below: 28 inches of rain in 36 hours.  I actually worked those days on Pelican Island and managed to commute both ways - although the truck that I drove almost washed away with the runoff coming off of the 51st street bridge on the west side.  I learned how to plane through it when exiting the bridge ramp.

Alvin, Texas just up the road about 15 minutes and the home of Nolan Ryan got 45 inches in 36 hours - a record, IIRC. 

I'd never seen real rain before those two days. 

Claudette_1979_rainfall.png

Edited by Chris A

Guest Steven1963

I've seen those 'live' shots during hurricanes but it never seems to be raining that hard...at least the video doesn't pick it up well. I would expect not to be able to see a distance when rain comes down like that. If anybody has a video of rain rates above 2" an hour or so I'd like to see what that looks like.

• Moderators
If anybody has a video of rain rates above 2" an hour or so I'd like to see what that looks like.

Do not have a video but we got 21" in 24 hours once, we couldn't leave for 3 days all the roads were flooded. 

The good news :( is that it is supposed to rain Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri. My back yard had just drained enough to mow the last 15' or so of the property and now I have ducks swimming back there again.

Guest Steven1963

I can't believe you guys don't have a 30 second clip of rain coming down that hard to show all your out-of-state relatives/friends what it is like...

Tell ya what, you post a 30 second clip of that downpour to prove it happens, and I'll post an 8 month clip to prove it rains up here in stretches that long. :P

• Moderators

It rains a lot here - 8 months out of the year. But in the 40 years I've lived in this area we've never gotten more than about 2-3 inches of rain in a day (24 hrs - at my house). I can't imagine that much water coming down out of the sky; what it looks like and how it affects the ground.

I grew up on the West Coast, first 26 years, but had visited family in Texas briefly all through that time. Apparently, always managing to miss bad rain.

Moved here in '97, and within a couple of months knew what everyone was talking about when they described the rain as "coming down in sheets." It literally does. I have witnessed several times where people have to come to a complete stop on the freeway because you cannot see in front of you, even with the fastest of wipers.

It was quite an eye opener.

So the big PSA ads running the last couple of days are the familar:

Turn around. Don't drown.

• Moderators

I can't believe you guys don't have a 30 second clip of rain coming down that hard to show all your out-of-state relatives/friends what it is like...

Tell ya what, you post a 30 second clip of that downpour to prove it happens, and I'll post an 8 month clip to prove it rains up here in stretches that long. :P

Rains almost every day down there on Gulf Coast in the summer.

I have friends in Seattle and Vancouver, and they claim it can be overcast, NO sun, for six months solid. Is that true? They say when sun comes out, it is opposite to Snow Day, everyone skips school, work, whatever, to enjoy the Sun.

Everytime I have been there is has been beautiful and sunny.

Edited by dwilawyer

Guest Steven1963

Rains almost every day down there on Gulf Coast in the summer.

I have friends in Seattle and Vancouver, and they claim it can be overcast, NO sun, for six months solid. Is that true? They say when sun comes out, it is opposite to Snow Day, everyone skips school, work, whatever, to enjoy the Sun.

Everytime I have been there is has been beautiful and sunny.

My standard line for people asking about the weather up here is to tell them it does nothing but rain year-round. But that's because I want to keep this little gem of a region all to myself: "Oh don't move up here you'll never see the sun...it's terrible!"

Truth be told, you can indeed go months without seeing the sun usually late November through February. UNLESS we get a cold spell (cold for us is highs in the 20s or low 30s), then you see the sun. If the temperature is hanging around 40-45 for highs, which happens for weeks on end, then it is likely cloudy and raining intermittently - you can go 3 or 4 days and never see it stop raining, break for a day (no sun though) and start all over again.

Summers are simply amazing. 75-80 from about mid July until mid-September. No rain or very little. Sometimes a heat wave will take us into the 90's for a day or two but not much longer. Humidity is low: 30%.

Consider: we don't get hurricanes, tornados are extremely rare and never above F1. No earthquakes (a volcano every now and then), floods are rare, droughts are non-existent, wildfires happen only in the mountains and are usually minimal, 6" of snow maybe once a winter and is usually gone after 2 days - sometimes the next day, beach is 1 1/2 hours away and so is skiing, hiking, 600 foot waterfall and hundreds of smaller waterfalls, salmon fishing, on and on and on.

Yeah, you will go a few months without actually seeing the sun and yeah, usually that first sunny day with some warmth (usually late March early April) will cause headaches for employers.  But I wouldn't want to live anywhere else until I retire.

Edited by Steven1963

• Moderators

Here is a taste of what it is like. This I would describe as moderate, at least what is comming through in the visual. You see trucks pulled over to sidebof road, at about 2 minutes in the driver pans down to the speedometer to show speed.

You could not drive that fast in a "heavy rain", even with polorized lenses, which help. That looks to have been taken during the day, even as dark as it is.

https://youtu.be/rIjOYpAfusw