I'm speechless - bike chain cleaner

mustang guy

I am not understanding what the value of the cleaning device is.

With dirt bikes we would remove chain put it in a pan of parts cleaner, let is sit, clean sprockets, remove from pan, reattach, adjust, lube and go.

Does this somehow scrub or clean better?

I don't see why anybody would want to take their chain off after every ride. With this device it is really easy and fast to do it all the time. If you do use one regularly there isn't the massive buildup you get that only a chain removal can fix. You have to remember, with a dirt bike your chain doesn't change gears, you've got two sprockets and that's it, plus the links are rather large, so gunk doesn't really mess you up much. Mountain bike chains have 3 up front and more importantly, 8-10 in the rear. Things work much better when they stay clean. Shifting is crisper and whatnot. A dirty chain can mean a bad ride and not just premature wear, so it's nice to stay on top of it.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators

The point seems to be that with this device one can clean the chain without removing it?

Thanks, I wasn't sure what the point was. The video I posted showed technique for cleaning chain on motorcycle with chain on, it certainly is easier to do then pulling chain off.

• Moderators
a rag bathed in chainsaw oil is even better - bathe the rag with a light film to clean and remove the dirt - then use a clean rag with new oil - works every time -
a rag bathed in chainsaw oil is even better - bathe the rag with a light film to clean and remove the dirt - then use a clean rag with new oil - works every time -

Does that attract more dirt and grime? Have they developed a dry lubricant that actually works better than LPS?

LPS was the SOTA when we rode bikes in 70s, it is greaseless, displaces water, prevents rust, attracts way less dirt, grime, sand, etc. It was better than most of the chain lubes available at the time. It may not have enought lubricant properties for mountain bike application.

Here is a link to a mountain bike site that describes various types of chain lube.

http://www.ems.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=23725956

Travis

The point seems to be that with this device one can clean the chain without removing it?

Yes, you just clamp it on to your chain, hold onto it with one hand, and turn the pedals with the other.  The chain gets routed through the different brushes which are bathed in a degreaser.  

A rear stand, WD40 and a few shop towels is all you need to clean a motorcycle chain. A bike will be even easier.

The video posted on motorcycle chain cleaning offers bad advice. Never clean your bike chain with water based detergents, there are plenty of petroleum based cleaners that also lubricate. I've gotten 20,000 miles on 1 bike chain (DID Gold), and I only replaced it because I'm anal about maintaining my bike. And if you can maintain an accurate rear wheel alignment, your sprocket will last just as long.

Oh sweet, they changed the locking mechanism.  Mine is just some bent wire that clicks in place.  She's a noob though,  Don't push like that, way too rough.  Turn the bike upside down and get behind it and pull, much smoother.  

• Moderators

Yes, you just clamp it on to your chain, hold onto it with one hand, and turn the pedals with the other. The chain gets routed through the different brushes which are bathed in a degreaser.

DOH, even I get it now.

• Like 1

Yes, you just clamp it on to your chain, hold onto it with one hand, and turn the pedals with the other. The chain gets routed through the different brushes which are bathed in a degreaser.

DOH, even I get it now.

just dont squeeze it very hard -or drop it  this is very thin plastic -