They Arrived!!!! But......

Orange Peel

I got my RF-3's and RC-3 today. When I opened one of the RF-3's, one of the corners was busted up, not sure how that happened, had to be when UPS was shipping it around. I'm SO bumbed right now. I will take a pic so you all can see it. I don't feel like having UPS pick it up, re-ship it to Wes, have Wes look at it, and then have to wait to see what UPS says! I might just have to live with it, maybe try to fix it or something. I left Wes a message at home, I will see what he wants to do, or figure out, and then go from there.

On a happy note, dealing with Wes has been FANTASTIC! He notified me when they shipped, all the tracking numbers emailed to me, pics when I asked, etc. If anyone buys anything from him in the future, rest assured you will be getting a smooth transaction without worries.

I'll let you all know how they sound later, I just had time on my lunch to unbox them and stand them up. Frown.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

Scott,

Thanks for the heads up phone call and I'm very disappointed that UPS caused the damage to one of the RF-3's. I felt that the additional packaging I added should have withstood their aggressive handling. It would have taken a severe drop to cause the damage you described, pure negligence on their part. As we discussed on the phone, I 'm not satisfied with their recommendation to return the item to the shipper for the inspection. That inconveniences you and still does not remedy how to get a replacement. As I stated I will make further inquiries as to the possibility of a more suitable and convenient remedy for you. What really troubles me is the difficulty that may be encountered in finding a replacement RF-3.

Please keep me informed and I will do the same as we drudge through the UPS claims quagmire.

Respectfully,

Wes

Note: Can any members here offer suggestions and/or advice as to how to expeditiously get through the USP Claims Process?

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Just today I received a check from UPS for a damaged package. They broke a neon sign that I packed VERY well and clearly labelled. I can't imagine what they must have done to break it, probably something similar to what happened to you.

Anyway.

Wes, as the shipper, should be the one to file a claim with UPS. UPS then has 5 business days to arrange inspection of the goods at OP's location. There is absolutely no reason why it should be returned to Wes first. In my case, they dragged their feet and waived inspection. I'm guessing they do the same for all but the largest of claims. UPS will send or fax Wes claims paperwork. I suggest that you request fax, since the mail version took over a week to arrive. Wes will fill out the necessary information and fax it back to UPS. Included with that form should be some proof of value/cost to replace. The original receipt would be great if you have it. I didn't, so they recommended I print out similar items from eBay as an estimate of value. I did that and they filed the claim right away. They cut a check for the full value I reported plus the initial cost of shipping within another 5 business days. Make sure you include the cost of shipping in your claim since you'll probably have to pay shipping on your replacement down the road.

Lots of info here, but just follow it in order and it goes very smoothly. Don't be shy about getting the highest possible reimbursement from them, they're the jerks that went out of their way to break your package. Plus, you should get something for the hassle. Find the highest RF3 auctions and submit those if you don't have the original receipt. If you do have it, go for the full value and split the difference in a way that seems fair to the two of you.

This message has been edited by tripod on 08-12-2002 at 05:47 PM

Scott - I feel your pain. I experienced the same thing with a Velodyne F1500R sub. They beat up a couple of edges on it and broke the grill. I don't think I'll ever ship this type of thing through UPS again. They just don't seem to handle heavy objects very well.

Of course, it couldn't be repaired very well (MDF, ya know) so they settled the claim by reimbursing me for the price I paid off Ebay plus shipping. Still, I didn't have my sub.

Doug

------------------

My System

tripod,

Thanks a lot! Just the kind of detailed info I need. I could not see the logic in returning the item and subjecting it to further damage. I will contact UPS to fax me the required claims documents. I do have the original purchase documents on file too. Hopefully the process will go smoothly. After receipt of funds, I can reimburse Scott. He may be able to keep the damaged one too, possibly modify it for a full range center speaker. A replacement RF-3 and the damaged one for a center would be the kind of compensation he deserves.

Sorry to hear about your shipping debacle too.

Many Thanks,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-12-2002 at 06:13 PM

Well, I talked with Wes, gave him the info he needs.

GET THIS! When I got home I looked at the speaker again, and they dropped it so hard it broke the tweeter off the horn mount. I took the mount off and found the tweeter stuck to the top woofer per their magnetics, NICE! The speaker wire even came undone. The 2nd woofer has a warpness to it too. I will get pics of this for everyone to enjoy.

Wes just called me and said UPS will be contacting me tomorrow to setup a date for them to come look at it.

So it's moving along, hopefully I can get something out of this from UPS.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

BUMMER!!!

I hope the two of you working together can get it resolved.

Hey, getting new speakers could be nice!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

That really sucks guys, UPS better not screw up my SVS Ultras that are coming.

My condolences to both of you. The headaches and time consuming crap this sort of thing brings up is unbelievable. Kind of like dealing with the government, at least Ontario's.

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Dual SVS Ultras w/ samson 1000 watt amp

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

Wow! Bummer, dude!

UPS should be able to pick up the speakers at the destination and settle the claim with the shipper. That is what they did when they managed to crack a magnesium frame woofer shipped to me. The damage was due to the shipper's poor packaging. But it didn't keep UPS from paying off. I contacted the shipper. They sent me a new one and filed the claim with UPS. A few days later, a UPS guy showed up with a label to ship the damaged one out. It went straight to their warehouse somewhere in the south where they try to unload the goods they damaged and had to eat.

FWIW to anyone shipping UPS, they do not provide special handling, meaning they consider themselves basically free to ignore "fragile", "handle with care", and "this side up" labels. I do put those kinds of labels all over my packages, though, just incase some kind soul might take pity them.

Speakers with MDF cabinets are a real problem to ship via any package service. Even Klipsch seems to have a problem getting products in one piece to the dealer, in the original factory packaging. It doesn't take much of a drop to destroy them unless they are packaged very, very well. They just cannot take much of an impact. You have to assume they they will be dropped a few feet. I destroyed an MDF bookcase dropping it no more than a few inches. IMHO the best way to ship speakers with MDF cabinets is on a pallet via air, or via a company that specializes in less than trailerload shipments.

OTOH I have shipped Heresys, which have 1/2" or 3/4" plywood cabinets all around the country, both via UPS and USPS, with no problems other than a crossover which was ripped off the cabinet wall because the last person who had it out did not put it back in with the correct screws.

MDF has certain advantages for speaker cabinets, but strenth sure is not one of them.

quote:

Originally posted by Malcolm:

FWIW to anyone shipping UPS, they do not provide special handling, meaning they consider themselves basically free to ignore "fragile", "handle with care", and "this side up" labels. I do put those kinds of labels all over my packages, though, just incase some kind soul might take pity them..

Well my position to UPS on the "Special Handling" issue is; I paid a Premium via an "Oversized Charge". Therefore, that cost conveyed to me that there would indeed be a more than adequate amount of care provided those two items. Well beyond usual and customary handling practices. So based on the stated damage, neither I nor the buyer was afforded the benefits of those added cost. I'm seeking full compensation of replacement and shipping cost! Anything less is unsatisfactory! They will have a worthy adversary if the decision is otherwise!!

I recognize that all RF Series Mains pose an additional challenge for shippers, because of the weight distribution, especially when boxed. The RF-3's shipping weight is 69lbs and measure 42"L X 21"W X 14"H. They cannot adequately be handled by one individual without the use of a hand truck. My firm position is the damage was incurred due to the shippers negligence. Just a matter of drugging through the Damage Inspection and Claims Processes.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-13-2002 at 06:03 AM

Well, I got a call from UPS today, they will be inspecting the RF-3 this Thursday. They will be taking digital pics, and such, and then it should take about 7-10 business days he said to get it taken care of.

I will keep you posted on what happens next.

The speakers sound wonderful still, I am enjoying them as much as I can. The sound is so clear, crisp, and loud, much better than my Polk RM6000, by about 1000x's Smile.gif I get my PSW650 tomorrow, and that should really add some thump to the program Smile.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

Scott,

Regarding our conversation a couple of days ago, I'm awaiting your pic's of the damage speaker and shipment box as well.

Please tell us your impression of the condition of the RC-3 and the RF-3 that survived the journey intact? In the waiting mode here for the arrival of the UPS Claims Documents, they're being mailed, as their Customer Service Rep informed me they do not fax those documents to claimants.

It appears the process is moving along reasonably well.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Wes - I took pics lastnight, I will download them today and post them later this afternoon. Sorry for the delay there, I had to borrow the digital camera. The good RF-3 is PERFECT! Not a scratch on her, the RC-3 is in excellent shape too. All speakers seem to be making the correct sound. I'm still truley amazed with the performance of these bad boys, best speakers I've ever owned and heard. I took pics of the damaged speaker, and I took pics of the entire system all setup. I'm currently not using the center speakers foot peg to raise the rear of the speaker up, I don't like how it's a spike, and I don't want it to scratch up the top of my big screen. Klipsch should have made it a rubber foot or something. Maybe I will modify or something, because I would really like to use it.

The process does seem to be moving along well, I just hope they will reimburse us for the FULL amount of a new RF-3II, or the purchase price of the RF-3, $400, this way I'm able to purchase another speaker without further out of pocket cost, know what I mean? Damn UPS, damn them all to hell! Wink.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

OP

I'm glad even the damaged speaker sounds good. Be sure NOT to tell the person from UPS that! Maybe they'll leave it with you for "disposal".

Wes

UPS offered to fax me the forms after they failed to show up in the mail for a week. They then arrived in the mail 2 days after the fax. So, wait a couple of days, and then call and request a fax. I think it's just a stalling strategy on their part. They had specially formated fax versions of the claims forms, so they must use them frequently.

Please be sure to post any additional roadblocks that they present. It's good for all of us to be aware of how they try to work the system against their own customers.

I forgot add that I also LOVE how when you're sitting down on the couch, in front of the TV, and listening to some music, how it sounds like the sound is coming from the center of the TV, not the sides of where the speakers are. Man that was a long sentence Smile.gif It's crazy, every speaker I've owned sounds like it's coming from the sides where the speakers are, and not from the center of the room, it sounds like the center channel is on in 2 channel mode when it's not. AWESOME!!!!

Tripod - Oh don't worry, I will be telling them it don't work Wink.gif They are meeting me at my work, so I will be boxing it back up, with the tweeter stuck to the woofer, and all. They won't even get a chance to hear it, and I WON'T be letting them take it away either, I will tell them that the shipper told me to keep it for my troubles and he doesn't want it Smile.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

This message has been edited by Orange Peel on 08-14-2002 at 11:35 AM

If they resolve it the way they did my Velodyne claim, they will issue a pick up tag after they settle the claim (probably for the full value to replace with the same item, e.g. another used one) and a driver will appear in a few days to take it away to the UPS junkyard in the sky. If you get to keep it, I'll be shocked.

I know what you're hoping -- I was hoping they'd leave the Velo with me as well.

Doug

------------------

My System