Upgrade to Rf-7 ii maybe

Jeppe

I currently have a system of rf-62 ii, rc-62ii, rb-61 ii and dual svs PB-2000. They are only used for home theater.

Now that there is clearence sale, I consider to upgrade before it is to late. I would buy the rf-7 ii and rc-64 ii.

Is the rf-7 ii worth the upgrade/money? I dont have a chance to listen to them as i live 500 miles from the nearest dealer. The Rf-7 ii and rc-64 ii cost 4500$ in my country (I envy the America's ^^).

My goal is to end up with a 11.4 system in the future. So I could use the rf-62 ii as wide speakers. Would that go Well together with the rf-7 ii?

Also I have been using rb-61 ii as side surrounds and I am not really happy with them. Would the rs-62 ii be any better?

Sorry for my bad english as it is not my spoken language.

Jeppe,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes I think the RF-7II/RC-64II combo will be an upgrade across the board.  Bigger speakers with bigger sound is what you will get but they also handle the delicate nuances and details with music and movies.

My goal is to end up with a 11.4 system in the future. So I could use the rf-62 ii as wide speakers. Would that go Well together with the rf-7 ii?

Sure they will sound fine together.

Also I have been using rb-61 ii as side surrounds and I am not really happy with them. Would the rs-62 ii be any better?

The RB-61II's are great bookshelf speakers but I do think you might like the RS-62II's as side surrounds better.

Sorry for my bad english as it is not my spoken language.

Your English is great.  Pick any other language in the world besides English and ask me to speak it and then you will know what bad is. ;)  :D

Bill

Edited by willland

I just went from 82II's and 62II to 7II's and 64II. Money well spent in clarity and more prescence. 2 channel music sounds like nothing I ever heard before as well. The 64II offers a lot of meat/growl in the center and very good clarity. Not that the others were "bad", these are just "better".

I see them as speakers that are diminishing returns for me now with regards to upgrade. I would have to spend a lot more $$$ than I am probably willing to make anything more than a lateral move, so they are with me for a long time.

I have now decided to upgrade my system to:

RF-7 ii Front

RC-64 ii. Center

RF-62 ii. Wides

RB-81 ii. Front height

RB61 ii. Rear height. (Only because I have them allready)

RS-62 ii Surround sides

RS-62 ii. Surround rear

SVS-PB 2000 Dual

I have been looking at an amplifier named Rotel RMB-1512. It has 12x100 watt. Would that be enough power to drive all my speakers?

• Like 2

• Moderators

I've always owned 200wpc amps for RF-7ii and RF-83 systems but 100wpc would likely be just fine to use.  I just prefer having the headroom that 200wpc offers so I don't have to worry about clipping.  It wasn't until I bought my LaScalas that I felt that I no longer needed an amp due to their efficiency and the fact that they do not have the low impedance dips that the RF7ii's have.

I have been looking at an amplifier named Rotel RMB-1512. It has 12x100 watt. Would that be enough power to drive all my speakers?

I'd be a little skeptical but it may be just fine. That is a class D amp that was made for distributed audio, aka. background music from ceiling or small outdoor and commercial speakers. Plus it at least retails for 3 grand. For that kind of money you could get multiple traditional amps with big toroidal transformers that would spank it. I'm not familiar with them though.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Shame on me for not looking at the amp specs, I just saw Rotel and moved on.

What about two of these?

They have tested at 140wpc all channels driven. Low profile and low heat. $2000.

I owned one and it was nice.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I have now decided to upgrade my system to:

RF-7 ii Front

RC-64 ii. Center

RF-62 ii. Wides

RB-81 ii. Front height

RB61 ii. Rear height. (Only because I have them allready)

RS-62 ii Surround sides

RS-62 ii. Surround rear

SVS-PB 2000 Dual

Wonderful setup!  Enjoy! 

I will echo what has been said about a little more power (a separate two channel perhaps?) to run the 7ii's.  100wpc will certainly run well though.

Hmm. Thank you for the answers. This is a nice forum for a rookie to ask for advice.

What about the Rotel RMB-1066 which i apparently can mono bridge to run the front stage in 3x150 wpc? I just dont know how to mono bridge. But I guess I can learn it.

How big is the room that you will be using all of these speakers in?  There is a good chance that all of them will not work in most movies unless you matrix them.  Surround speakers need to be space to get the best spatial cues and decrease sound congestion.

How big is the room that you will be using all of these speakers in?  There is a good chance that all of them will not work in most movies unless you matrix them.  Surround speakers need to be space to get the best spatial cues and decrease sound congestion.

The room 8x4 meters dedicated HT with an 130" fixed screen. I do know that I can not use all the speakers for now. I will be waiting for 13.x.6 avr to be released. I know it might take a few years before that will happen. For now I just try to get my hands on the speakers before I cant buy them anymore.

• Moderators

Mono bridge is when you take two channels on an amp and combine them by connecting your speaker's negative cable to one channel and the positive speaker cable to the other channel. Sometimes the amp will also have a "bridge" switch

Mono bridge is when you take two channels on an amp and combine them by connecting your speaker's negative cable to one channel and the positive speaker cable to the other channel. Sometimes the amp will also have a "bridge" switch

Got it. Thank you very much ^^