what record needles under a microscope looks like

• Moderators

Amazing everything he went through to get the video, shocking..............thinking about all the steps made my brain hurt :lol: Very patient dude :D

Thanks

Edited by dtel

I'll have to go back to see if he got one point correct.

The sensors, coil pick ups, are at 90 degrees to each other in a stereo pick-up.  So the magnet is propelled on diagonal paths for each channel.

But, one channel is 90 degrees out of polarity from the other.

If it were not, a strong mono signal would result in both cuts resulting in strong up and down motion, and push the stylus up out of the groove.

Why do we care?  It is because bass was mixed mono.  I believe this is related to the fact that cranking a generator slowly (i.e. bass freqs) results in less output.  So we want more displacement in the groove.  But that would give the strong up and down.

What to do?

By reversing the polarity of one groove, the strong mono bass signal results in one channel moving diagonally up while the other one is moving diagonally down.  The mechanical result is that the stylus moves strongly from side to side, rather than up and down.  Very smart cookies!

Overall, it is wonder that this thing works to create two channels at all and that the stylus doesn't just plow the vinyl.

WMcD