Subwoofer swap

derrickdj1

I have be think of replacing two of the sealed 4 cu ft boxes with two more large vented subs.  The vented subs have quite a bit more output in the 15 Hz and up frequencies.  I have a feeling that if I tuned the box to around 16 Hz that this will get me a lot more output from 12 Hz and up.

Today I brought some 3/4 MDF (two sheet) and cut the pieces.  This will be my first complete sub build so, it should be an adventure.  Pic's of the build will be posted. :blink:

• Like 7

Dave the box is around the size of my two vented subs, 9.5-10 cu ft.  Either way, it is a big sub.  Tomorrow I will do the brace work and get the top on it.  I need to buy a router to do the baffels.  I have not decide on the finish.

You will need to weigh it when completed and post.

• Like 1

Are you doing the Marty thing? I bet you'll end up with a lot more output... I have been thinking about doing something similar.

Hey Holt, good to see you. :) My vented subs are basically Mini Marty and this is basically another Mini Marty.  I will build the second in a couple of weeks.  I figures around 6 db more output in the 15 Hz and up.  I am more interested in some of the things I can do with the DSP.  Much more margin and headroom with the vented sub.

Dave, it should be 140-150 lbs.  This is why all the subs have riser with wheels except for two risers with no wheel.  It is the only way to move these things around.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

The birch is not has heavy but the sheet cost twice as much, lol.

probably more like 3 times as much. The 5x5 sheets should be about $55 or $60 but a 4x8 is closer to $90-$95. MDF can be had for like $30-$33.

5x5 sheets are 1/2".  at least around here if you're talking Baltic Birch.  I love working with that stuff.

5x5 sheets are 1/2".  at least around here if you're talking Baltic Birch.  I love working with that stuff.

You can get it both 1/2" and 3/4". Well, 18mm... close but not quite. That's the only thing I don't like, because it screws up the math.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/34balpack3-p-6_plywood.html

Specialty wood stores typically carry the real deal, 5x5 sheets from the baltic region around eastern Europe / western Russia. Places like Menards has more of the 4x8 stuff. Some of it you have to watch out for because it's sometimes manufactured in China and isn't really void-free, plus they probably use funky chemicals. 13-ply void-free 5x5 from around the baltic sea is what you want.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Well, I got the work bench ( large trash cans) :huh:  setup and did a few things.  Internal bracing is done and the baffles were cut.  I was going to try the router but, that didn't go well.  I am on the far left of the learing curve with router.  I will glue the baffles later to and put the top on before sanding everything down.

post-50685-0-84160000-1439314262_thumb.j

post-50685-0-66920000-1439314282_thumb.j

post-50685-0-78160000-1439314319_thumb.j

• Like 2