Subwoofer swap

derrickdj1

This is pic of the big and little brother.  I will gule the baffles later today and cut the hole for the speaker terminal cup for the Mini and full Marty.  So, the HT will basically be 4 Mini Marty, 2 full Marty and 2 DIY dual UM 18 subs.  Four will be corner loaded and the two dual seal subs will be on the center wall of the HT.  All this after I move a few things and run some wire.  The interesting thing is the Mini and full Marty have at least as much if not slightly more output than the dual cab subs.  The only advantage for the dual cab subs is the extension below 15 Hz.  It is almost a waste of two drivers for the little bit extra extension.  Maybe I will swap them out also for two more vented subs and more headroom in the system.

Tomorrow sand the boxes, prime and paint the boxes.

post-50685-0-89300000-1441918900_thumb.j

Made it to third base with the project.  the boxes are 5/6th painted.  When I flipped them I will paint the tops. Leaving them upside down for a day or two will seal the glue for the top due to the weight.  Also, I learned to paint the bottom first this way they won't stick to anything if I take them in the house in a couple of days.  Just the sheer weight on the risers can cause sticking.  These will be nice and dry since I won't bring them into the house until next week.  I have to rearrange things in the basement first.  The platform that the Mini Marty is setting on will be the riser for that sub.  I will not use risers for the full Marty sub due to the height.

post-50685-0-58380000-1442091717_thumb.j

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Wow Derrick! :blink:

Approaching "BassPig" territory with that build. :emotion-14:

Beautiful work. :emotion-22:

I caught that bug from the people here.  Nothing excels like excess, he, he.

Then move some stuff there, sale it, or put it in storage and collect dust.
I doubt dust is collecting anywhere in your basement with that much firepower. Just crank it up and "poof" no more dust. 

The dust just blows around.  If I don't keep things clean in the man cave, I will have a dust bowl on my hands.

I have all the boxes finally in the house.  Two more drivers to go for tonight.  I am tempted to put the two new  SI drivers in the dual box but, they are for a spring project, the Beast.  Tomorrow I will run some extra wire and do some touch up painting on the boxes.  Here are a few pic's of the distributed bass system.  Can't wait to do some measurement and maybe a compression sweep of the system.

post-50685-0-49780000-1442619431_thumb.j

post-50685-0-28060000-1442619440_thumb.j

post-50685-0-34260000-1442619450_thumb.j

post-50685-0-73700000-1442619457_thumb.j

Edited by derrickdj1

I am half way with the second sub.  This one is a full Marty, 4'' tall and just over 2'' wide and deep.  Tomorrow I will put on the top and baffle and get ready to paint.  I will line the sub with foam mattress stuffing.

The AVS guys line the ported subs and don't use stuffing like polyfil.  The reasoning behind it is reflections in the vented box.  I am not sure how sound this belief is.  A sealed box should also have reflections.  Polyfil or similar stuffing should work in a vented box without ill effects from my understanding.

The rule of thumb says foam sheets for ported subs, polyfil for sealed.  One pound of polyfil for each cubic foot of sub.

I put some polyfil in my ported CF-4's and it brought the pitch down, which means they are now VERY accurate (stockers were a little nasal).  That means I have both, with foam sheets loose in the two top sections where the drivers are, and some light polyfil in the very bottom where the ports are.

Of all the mods one can do to speakers and subs, I think the polyfil and/or foam makes the most immediate easily noticeable audible difference.

Edited by wvu80

Houston we have a slight problem.  I can't use the UM 18's in all 8 subs without getting another amp.  I will go ahead and use the SI drivers and place them in the dual cab box and use an I Nuke 3000 DSP in bridge mode.  This will free up an I Nuke 6000 DSP to run the Mini Martys'. I will just store the two unused UM 18's for a spring project.

Edited by derrickdj1