WTB Turntable Record Clamp/Weight

jimjimbo

why not try a thin plastic sandwich bag filled with some sand. The bag will conform easily over the spindle and the sand will hold the record down and damp vibrations which a clamp cannot do. Simple costs nothing fast see what you think. You can switch from a plastic bag to a silk bag for long term use. You can experiment with different fill salt for example or other compounds. River sand or beach sand will have round particles with smooth edges and this will be more effective than builders sand which is also sold as play sand for kids sand boxes. Builders sand is crushed and has sharp edges and won't provide as much friction because the particles tend to jam up on each other and the smooth round material permits movement and so friction which is how it provides damping, the mechanical energy (motion) results in friction which generates heat, so the mechanical energy is converted into heat. This is exactly how fibrous materials work to damp a loudspeaker.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2

OK, I was hoping to perhaps find someone that no longer needed one, or had an extra....I can easily find the new ones, that's not an issue......

Don't think I'm ready to put a ziplock full of sand or salt on top of my TT....and if you can let me know how the weight can be equally distributed around the spindle, please let me know.

why not try a thin plastic sandwich bag filled with some sand. The bag will conform easily over the spindle and the sand will hold the record down and damp vibrations which a clamp cannot do. Simple costs nothing fast see what you think. You can switch from a plastic bag to a silk bag for long term use. You can experiment with different fill salt for example or other compounds. River sand or beach sand will have round particles with smooth edges and this will be more effective than builders sand which is also sold as play sand for kids sand boxes. Builders sand is crushed and has sharp edges and won't provide as much friction because the particles tend to jam up on each other and the smooth round material permits movement and so friction which is how it provides damping, the mechanical energy (motion) results in friction which generates heat, so the mechanical energy is converted into heat. This is exactly how fibrous materials work to damp a loudspeaker.

Fantastic idea. On vacation this week so I might have to fiddle with this concept.

Things like this are what makes it worth being on this site.