cubicle coffee: bad form, or perfectly normal? :)

Paducah Home Theater

I typically do what I want in my area and could care less if some one else likes it or not

That was the smokers argument for years.  The problem is that you're not just in your area.  What you are doing is now in someone else's area.  That's why they banned cigarette smoking in restaurants here.  You can't keep it from intruding on someone else's area.

Cigarette smoking was banned for the apparent HEALTH RISK to others not the smell, Exactly what makes 1 persons rights more important than there neighbors ?? If there is no health risk or danger to others involved why would anyone have a right to stop them...............I thought this was AMERICA where FREEDOM is supposed to be rule. ???

• Like 1

I typically do what I want in my area and could care less if some one else likes it or not

That was the smokers argument for years.  The problem is that you're not just in your area.  What you are doing is now in someone else's area.  That's why they banned cigarette smoking in restaurants here.  You can't keep it from intruding on someone else's area.

Cigarette smoking was banned for the apparent HEALTH RISK to others not the smell, Exactly what makes 1 persons rights more important than there neighbors ?? If there is no health risk or danger to others involved why would anyone have a right to stop them...............I thought this was AMERICA where FREEDOM is supposed to be rule. ???

Lincoln stopped that a long time ago.

• Like 1

I thought this was AMERICA where FREEDOM is supposed to be rule. ???

Freedom is a two way street. Libertarians are the most freedom loving people of all, yet their basic mantra is that you do not encroach on another person, otherwise you are taking freedom away from your neighbor. I try to live like this. The only disagreement is when exactly does a minor annoyance become a significant trespass that should be avoided.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Believe me I know TRUE FREEDOM no longer exists, it gets chipped away at daily, But I still believe that if my actions are not dangerous nor a health risk to those around me then my right to do X is just as good / important as your right is to dislike what I am doing,

Lincoln stopped that a long time ago.

Exactly what makes 1 persons rights more important than there neighbors ??

Who rights are more important, the person who wants to breath clean (odor free in this instance) air or the right of someone to foul it?

C'mon man.  You started it with smoking.  There is a difference between carcinogenic atmospheric pollution and kim chee.  The former is a health issue.  The latter is a personal interaction issue.  One is rights based, the other is social acceptance based.

Not me I love BBQ,  (not to keen on the wood smoke when first fired up though)

I've seen this place be so bad that you had to drive slow when passing in front of it because the smoke was so thick you could barely see. There are nearby businesses that are often surrounded with smoke for extended periods of time, on a daily basis.

I've seen this place be so bad that you had to drive slow when passing in front of it because the smoke was so thick you could barely see. There are nearby businesses that are often surrounded with smoke for extended periods of time, on a daily basis.

Sounds like my back yard at times.  Not constantly though.

Who rights are more important, the person who wants to breath clean (odor free in this instance) air or the right of someone to foul it?

C'mon man.  You started it with smoking.  There is a difference between carcinogenic atmospheric pollution and kim chee.  The former is a health issue.  The latter is a personal interaction issue.  One is rights based, the other is social acceptance based.

I can accept that argument.  The problem is, where do you draw the line? 

Neither persons rights are more important, they are equal, not liking a smell does not equal a risk..............................what if I dont like the smell of the soap you use and you walk by me are you wrong ?? should you now no longer be able to use that soap ??

Believe me I know TRUE FREEDOM no longer exists, it gets chipped away at daily, But I still believe that if my actions are not dangerous nor a health risk to those around me then my right to do X is just as good / important as your right is to dislike what I am doing,

With that attitude, I should have the right to install some subs under my desk and blast 90's hip hop all day while rapping along with it. I'd look like this video below. FREEDOM BABY!

Neither persons rights are more important, they are equal, not liking a smell does not equal a risk..............................what if I dont like the smell of the soap you use and you walk by me are you wrong ?? should you now no longer be able to use that soap ??

I guess I shouldn't have used cigarette smoke as an example.  In this instance, there is no risk involved unless the person smelling it is allergic to the smell.  We're dealing with common courtesy.  Should you be able to do something in your cubicle that bothers me?

I guess the next question I would ask is if the offender knows he's being offensive?

If you don't like my soap, I'll stop showering.  Let me know what you think in a week :emotion-41:

• Like 2

this equalls a risk / dangerous I would be all for changes

With that attitude, I should have the right to install some subs under my desk and blast 90's hip hop all day while rapping along with it. I'd look like this video below. FREEDOM BABY!

If your office has no policy against it they why not ? Although you must admit the odor of coffee is considerably less invasive than Rap music  :D

I can accept that argument.  The problem is, where do you draw the line? 

Where I draw it of course.  Subject to negotiation when it is not an obvious health hazard. 

• Like 1