RC-7 verses RC-64

artto

• Moderators
Either way the term muted or muffled should never be associated with a speaker known to be "too bright" see what I'm saying.

It is when it's aimed at your ankles.  When I first bought an RC-7, it was above my TV.  I wasn't getting the detail everyone else said I should be.  Then someone suggested I angle the RC-7 towards my ears and BINGO!  That was it.  Might be what the OP is hearing.

• Like 1

The other thing is the RC7 doesn't sound quite as articulate as the RF7 ii to my ears. Not sure if it's the speaker or just because it's lower and closer to the floor.

Once picture is worth a thousand words.  I would guess if you got the RC7 tweeters in-line with the RF-7 tweets you might hear that articulation you feel is somewhat lacking.

• Like 1

Once picture is worth a thousand words.  I would guess if you got the RC7 tweeters in-line with the RF-7 tweets you might hear that articulation you feel is somewhat lacking.

Yeah, I guess I was wondering why you don't move the RC 7 to the top of the cabinet (where you said you'd put the RC 64ii) first and see if it sounds better.  Otherwise, you'll never know if it's simply a setup issue or not.  Could be that when you move it up to the top of the cabinet, you get a much better sound.  I know for my setup, I have my center firing out from the same height as the tweeters in my towers...soundstage is completely seamless.  Just my $0.02...

• Like 1

With my original RF-7s, I did not care of how the RC-64II blended with them. Just felt that the speaker was missing something in the details compared to the towers. Vocals felt very laid back.

RF-7's are very bright to the point where a resistor mod is a very common and popular thing to do in order to tone it down. This is unnecessary with the RC-64ii and RF-7ii. Taking a 64ii and making it play with an unmodified RF-7 would probably do exactly what you just said it did. :)

Both towers were Dean-G modded...so not an issue on my end.

Yeah, I guess I was wondering why you don't move the RC 7 to the top of the cabinet (where you said you'd put the RC 64ii) first and see if it sounds better.  Otherwise, you'll never know if it's simply a setup issue or not.  Could be that when you move it up to the top of the cabinet, you get a much better sound.  I know for my setup, I have my center firing out from the same height as the tweeters in my towers...soundstage is completely seamless.  Just my $0.02...

Understood  :rolleyes:

There's several reasons I haven't done that.

1. The RC-7 is black. All the other speakers and cabinetry is light colored teak or cherry. With the RC-7 in the cabinet under the TV the color issue moot. On top out in the open it obvious. (I got a really good price on it) I planned on putting in the cabinet because my old TV was a DLP/LED rear projector and couldn't be wall mounted so that was the only place the RC-7 could go.

2. The RC-7 is actually a little higher (wider) than the RC-64 meaning that the TV will have to be mounted higher to clear the speaker. It's the same reason I decided to sell my Belle Klipsch, buy RF-7ii to replace the Chorus, and get some wanted real estate back (see pic). I could have used the Belle with the Chorus and gotten the floor space back but I don't like the TV as high as it would have to be over the Belle.

3. I know it seems kind of trivial, but that couple inches of TV height difference is kind of a make or break it situation for me. I don't like looking up at the screen. It could be a little higher than what it is now, sitting on top of the cabinet. The RC-64 would put the TV right at or slightly above where I would prefer the TV to be.

4. I decided to buy a RC-64ii. Cosmetically it matches the RF-7ii (not required but desirable). Klipsch obviously made some changes to the Reference 7 series (IMHO) for the better. The RC-64ii was made to integrate with the RF-7ii.

5. If the RC-64ii works out, I get some more storage space for DVD's/whatever, where the RC-7 currently resides.

When I get the RC-64ii I'll have the opportunity to try the RC-7 on top of the cabinet and compare the two. If I get better sound with the RC-7 then I'll have to decide whether I want to compromise regarding the higher TV placement.

There's obviously been a lot comment pro & con with this so there's no clear cut choice to influence me either way. This is not my main system. So while I appreciate good sound with TV & movies, it's not the ultimate priority as it with music on my main 2-channel system. It just seemed that things like speech in movies when coming from the center channel needed a little more presence and articulation.

I'll report back on my findings. Should have the RC-64 within the week.

I guess it's one those you've got to try it yourself kind of things. I don't really expect too much difference except for getting the center speaker higher and away from the floor/carpet and closer to the TV where the dialog belongs.

Edited by artto
  • Like 1

The height of the RC 7 vs the  RC 64 was a major consideration in my choice to go with the RC 64.

Well, there you go........great minds think alike!

;)