How Much Will it Cost...

rebuy

I'm figuring new, and without reducing the overall cost by re-selling the old AVR.

I think the basic Atmos setup is 5.1.2.  Presuming you already have 5.1, I would say you need a nice modern $400 AVR and Klipsch elevation speakers are $500 a pair.    So with cables and such, maybe a thousand?

http://www.klipsch.com/dolby-atmos-speakers

RP-140SA_-_Back_635713415450532000_mediu

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR444-7-1-Channel-V-Receiver/dp/B00WSECTYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444261843&sr=1-1&keywords=pioneer+receiver+atmos

TX-SR444__B__Front_R640x320.png

Edited by wvu80

I didn't like the sound of my last Onkyo.

I have a Yamaha that is 7.1--sitting in its Box

Maybe if H-K,  which is what I currently use--would get back to real AVR's

I might consider it.

The movie selection would have be Much Better than what is currently offered.

Which Onk did you have?  The earlier Onks had a reputation for running hot both physically and bright on the top end, audio-wise.  Most of the comments I've seen where people don't like the Onks is with the older models.

I have an two year-old Onk 717 AVR which runs warm not hot and sounds great with Klipsch.  Onk in recent years changed some of the technology in the amps, maybe that's why mine might sound different?

I looked for other Atmos AVR's and the Onk seem to come in at the sub-$500 range.  You get into the HK's and Yamaha's and it's closer to $7-800.

Edited by wvu80

The earlier Onks had a reputation for running hot both physically and bright on the top end, audio-wise.  Most of the comments I've seen where people don't like the Onks is with the older models.   I have an two year-old Onk 717 AVR which runs warm not hot and sounds great with Klipsch.

My Onkyo TX-SR705 has been running strong since 2007 and it is about as neutral as an AVR can get.  Excellent with movies but does not have the musical prowess of my NAD AVR and pre/pro.  Now that is not really a fair comparison because the 705 is a lower midlevel model and my NAD T773 is a flagship model and my T175HD pre/pro retailed for $3000.00.

Which Onk did you have? 

I had a 608 and it was pretty solid

Okay, I am confused. :unsure:

Bill

Well-If Atmos is "NEW" and the majority of AVR's do not have this processing capability

you have to buy new equipment.

It depends on how much you are willing to spend for a new AVR that sounds as good as the one you have.

Couple of AVR options:

Pioneer VSX-1130-K....  7.2 x 100wpc  w/Atmos: $600 (BNIB)

Denon AVR-X4100W.... 7.2 x 125wpc w/Atmos: $750 (BNIB)

Onkyo TX NR545....7.2 x 115wpc w.Atmos: $700 (BNIB)

Yamaha's entry level Atmos RX-A850 is $1000

Marantz's entry level Atmos NR1606 is $700... but is only 7.1 x 50wpc

==========================

Klipsch upward firing add-on modules RP-140SA: $500 pair

Klipsch ceiling speakers CDT-5650-C ll: $700 pair

50ft 14AWG Speaker wire for Atmos speakers: $11.00

==========================

So, based on MSRP.....$1100 for an Atmos capable AVR & pair of speakers. (you can/should find better than MSRP).

Yeah, That's a lot of money to watch a movie. 

We're a speaker forum. We buy speakers for movies & music.Any amount of money spent could be categorized as "expensive just to watch a movie". But, if you want to upgrade (any portion of) your HT (whether it be a TV, Speakers, AVR, etc.)....$1000 & change is a small amount relatively speaking. Atmos changed my HT experince , making the upgrade completely worthwhile, no question. But, depends on how much of a movie buff you are or not.