RSW-15 & LaScalas in A New Light

Youthman

• Moderators

Thanks K5.  My daughter is going to Homecoming this Saturday.  Her and her friends are eating dinner at one of the parent's home and they said they were going to hire a professional photographer and everyone could pitch in to cover the cost.  My wife says, "My husband can do it for free".  I want the photos to be really nice so I asked a photographer friend if they knew where I could buy an umbrella and stand so I could mount my flash off camera to get some nice soft lighting effects.  She just happened to have some and let me borrow one.

Figure I better learn how to use it so of course the first thing I take photos of while everyone is asleep are Klipsch.  :D

• Like 2

• Moderators

I always thought flash was a bad thing and should only be used when you do not have sufficient lighting but I'm learning you can use flash with umbrellas or a soft box to create some nice lighting effects without it looking harsh.  I have a lot to learn and hopefully will get better by this Saturday.

There is a lot of skill and knowledge needed when using false lighting (something I know only a little about).  If you're lucky (from a lighting perspective) you might get an overcast day and get some great natural lighting.  Of course that won't help once it gets dark.  If the only light source you have is a camera flash, the Gary Fong lightsphere is a pretty decent tool, especially for hand-held photography.  Bouncing the light off the ceiling also works well if the ceiling isn't too high and is relatively close to white.  All of these techniqus will improve with practice.

Most people who use a camera mounted flash get that "flat" look.  It's the shadows that add perspective and interest to photos, people photos in particular.  You take enough nice pics, I'm guessing you know that already.  B)

The side lighting on the LS's above look a little too harsh to me, creating too much contrast.  To me you have great detail in the light side, then the shadow has none, being completely black.  I thought the woofer pic was better balanced with softer lighting and balanced contrast.

The newer digital cameras handle contrast better than ones from a few years ago, but if you take pics in the sun you can get overly bright on one side, dark on the other like the LS pics above.  The evening sun at about 4:00 pm will give you those nice long shadows with a subdued sunlight look for the outdoor shots.

If you are going to do posed inside pics the side lighting will give you some nice professional looking pics.  I would use the hot shoe mounted flash for spontaneous shots like eating (I hate those!). 

I presume you are using a zoom lens.  I'm thinking for a posed portrait picture of an individual or couple (which I don't think you're going to do at this kind of event) the ideal focal length is about 100, which will fill your camera lens nicely.  I think if you Photoshop your finished product that is less of an issue than it used to be, thanks to the crop feature using hi-res pictures.

Be sure and get all the girls together sitting on the stairway.  And of course, what could be better than the girls all doing the "Charlie's Angels fingers together back-to-back gun pose?"  It's a classic.  B)

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators
The side lighting on the LS's above look a little too harsh to me, creating too much contrast. To me you have great detail in the light side, then the shadow has none, being completely black.

Appreciate the feedback.  I'm using my Nikon D7000 in "Commander Mode" where the on camera flash triggers the off camera SB700 flash in "Remote" or slave mode.  It does not appear that I can change the SB700 Speedlight to Manual Mode to back down the power of the flash because being in "Commander Mode", it gets the info from the camera.  I would need a radio trigger ($150) or a cable remote to be able to manually adjust the flash.  At least that's the way it appears to me.

I thought the woofer pic was better balanced with softer lighting and balanced contrast.

I do too....but it doesn't have deep holes like the LS do.  I love have the light added highlights and shadows to the rubber surround.

The evening sun at about 4:00 pm will give you those nice long shadows with a subdued sunlight look for the outdoor shots.

Location will be around 5pm, outside, under lots of trees (reason for the flash to remove the shadows the leaves may create).

I presume you are using a zoom lens.

You presume correctly.  I have a 17-55 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8.  I'll likely use both lenses.  The 70-200 2.8 will compress the background even more than the 17-55 and will provide a smoother bokeh.

I'm thinking for a posed portrait picture of an individual or couple (which I don't think you're going to do at this kind of event) the ideal focal length is about 100,

Actually, that's exactly what I think I will be doing.  Taking individual and couple pics and maybe group shots as well outside.  Guess I need to clarify what they are wanting.

Be sure and get all the girls together sitting on the stairway.

Good idea.  I'm not sure who's home we are going to be at but I think they have a 2 story home.  Stair case shot would be cool.  Appreciate the suggestion.

And of course, what could be better than the girls all doing the "Charlie's Angels fingers together back-to-back gun pose?" It's a classic. B)

Thanks.  That's one area I stink at....posing.  I've only done a few "Portrait" sessions just as favors for free.  I've never had to tell my Klipsch speakers where to put their woofers.

Very nice! I like the angle and glow of the first one especially. I will have to see what I can do when i get around to photographing my new LaScalas to show you guys. Anyway, B&H has a youtube channel that has a bunch of great lectures and is pretty much my go to for info, here is a good one on off camera flash:

• Moderators

Very nice! I like the angle and glow of the first one especially. I will have to see what I can do when i get around to photographing my new LaScalas to show you guys. Anyway, B&H has a youtube channel that has a bunch of great lectures and is pretty much my go to for info, here is a good one on off camera flash:

Thanks!  I just watched a few minutes of it and already learned something.  I thought the closer the umbrella, the harsher the light but it's opposite.  Closer the light source, the softer the light.  I'll try some more test shots of the LS with the light source closer.  I will watch the rest of the video tonight.

I've watched a few of B&H's seminars.  Good stuff.

I like the look of the shadows….it makes the rest of the photo's colors shine more.

Thanks.  I guess you would say it's more of a dramatic lighting....more contrast in the lighting.

Agree with WVUs comments.

If there are other parents taking pictures, you will want to make sure that you are the alpha picture taker and that their eyes and direction should be at you until you are done. That is speaking from experience where everyone's eyes are all over the place. Usually at their parent. I am also a huge fan of candid shots. The side groups will get some of the best and relaxed pictures.

Additionally, using a second light can really take care of the shadows and contrasting side issues. If you really want to have some fun, add a halo light above the subjects. Depending on the camera you are using, I always preferred to use a prime 50 or 85 on my camera for portrait photos. As WVU mention 100 was ideal. For me it was a personal preference. Canon makes a very decent cheap 50 that is not L glass, but takes a really good picture for the money and it is a relatively quick lens.

Edited by agile1966
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Thx agile. Good tips as well.

I used to have a 50mm 1.8 but rarely used it.

I really have no desire to get into professional photography. I would rather stick to Custom Website Design, Logo and Print Design. But I still enjoy photography, just not sure I like doing portraits.

I was brought into the profession by my ex. She could compose a great shot, but had no desire to learn the craft. Therefore, by default I was forced to learn in order to protect my investment so to speak.

I have always appreciated your pics as it is obvious you also can compose a great pic and understand the technical side as well. It is sad that today anyone with a DSLR thinks they can be a photographer. Much more to it than point and shoot and let the computer do the rest...

That 50mm 1.8 is exactly the lens I was talking about. Really a fantastic lens for the money.

Edited by agile1966
  • Like 1

Just saw you were using a zoom. I would suggest you keep in the middle range of the zoom. Either extreme focal length will usually give you some issues with the pictures that you can avoid by staying in the middle.

If you can get some reflectors, that will give you some additional "lighting" in shaded areas, plus you don't have to drag a strobe around.

The stair shot is perfect as well as the Charlies Angle shot. I would also try a group shot with you above. If they have a ladder available, that works perfect as does a raised deck.

I was a Canon guy, so I don't know anything about Nikkor glass. While I love used hometheater equipment, used lenses scare me to death...

Whats the worst that can go wrong with used lenses?

"Hey dont worry, that little white spider web looking stuff inside the lens is normal and wont affect picture quality. Yeah just throw it in the bag with the rest of your gear..."  :unsure2: