Center Channel Comparison: RB-81II, RC-62II, and BIC Acoustech PL-28II

Superdave

I have been using the RB-81II (Vertical mount) as the center and have felt that I was not getting the full realm of the center channel stage. So, I decided to pick up a couple of new center speakers to test against each other (RB-81II, RC-62II, and BIC Acoustech PL-28II). Please keep in mind that this is based my opinion on my room set-up, listening preferences, etc..

I used a switched power strip and a 12 volt DC 30 amp relay and wired it to be the switch between center speakers (A & B.) So, basically flip the switch on the power strip would enable one speaker, then flip the switch off and the other speaker would play, works great. Only one speaker could play at any given time. I only tested 2 speakers against each other and would determine my choice to move on from there.

The center level is set a +2db on all comparisons and I didn't make any other adjustments to the set-up.

(1st Match-up) Klipsch RB-81II versus the BIC Acoustech PL-28II  - The first impression is that the BIC plays quite a bit louder than the RB-81II. But, the RB-81II has more clarity and refinement easily and also does blend better with the RF-82II Left and Right Fronts. The BIC is not a bad speaker, it just doesn't work well in my system. So this round, the winner is the Klipsch RB-81II. BTW, my BIC is for sale, pm me if interested.

(2nd Match-up) Klipsch RB-81II versus RC-62II - My first impression is that they both sound very similar. After listening to different sources and at different volume levels, it was fairly easy to hear how the RC-62II seem to widen the center channel and bridge the gap between the front left and right speakers to give a better front sound stage presence. The RB-81II is a very good speaker, I'm just not sure it's wide enough in a audio sense to be a center channel for a large room such as mine. 

So, the overall winner is the Klipsch RC-62II.

Edited by Superdave
  • Like 1

Wellllll let me ask you this. How did you level match the speakers? Cause if you didn't all your results are useless. It takes a lot to really A/B properly. Two amps are really needed. And if you wanted to hear it eq'ed to the room you really need two separate receivers to do it properly.

I would anticipate that with your speakers, the 62 would probably be the one to come out on top.  But, I think scrappy is right in that a true A/B test isn't as simple as you described.  In order to do a true A/B, you need to run both speakers fully calibrated for the room and your other speakers.  So, you'd need to run your room calibration on each speaker and then perform your test with those settings.  Otherwise, what you get is a result of which speaker sounded best with a random setting...not necessarily which speaker sounds best in your room with your system.  The results could be the same...or they could be significantly different.

This was a simple A/B comparison, just a impression of the how the different speakers sound compared to each other.  I like the snapshot reviews.  They aren't definitive, but they are interesting.

OTOH most of us tend to like speakers that are a little brighter, but in this case it sounds like the brighter speaker stuck out like a sore thumb.  It might have sounded better if it were properly blended with the other speakers.

I agree with both sides.  B)

The problem is the spl difference. It skews any kind of real comparison. I mean you can think whatever but it is not a fair fight without everything being exactly equal for each speaker. Just saying. I would think an rb-81 would best a rc-62ii. Only reason I really mention all this. If it was louder prolly a little more efficient.

• Like 1

The RC 62 is a good center soudbar, lol.  SuperDave you may be like me, I prefer 6 in. drivers for the center and don't  really care for larger drivers.  The 6 in. Klipsch diver is very well suited to the male and female voice.  This is my guess why the RF 63 is so well recieved and liked.  With a couple of 6 in. woofers, the speaker is not bass shy but, it is not bass heavy.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 4

I prefer 6 in. drivers for the center and don't really care for larger drivers. The 6 in. Klipsch driver is very well suited to the male and female voice

Add me to your fan club.

I don't know why but a pair of mid/bass drivers in that 6-7" range in an MTM configuration sounds just about right to my ears for male and female voice, just as you said. 

I have a center MTM featuring all Usher drivers with the woofs being 7".  It has a very pleasant sound with our main HDTV.  You can listen to it all day long without ear fatigue and it is clear as a bell, and can be driven loud when asked to.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I'm attempting to level match as Scrappy suggested so I just completed running Audyssey twice (all 8 positions) and it has changed the entire sound, but unfortunately not in a good way. It requested that I turn down the subs so much that they barely even move, changed my L/R to Large, Crossover points, etc. I have posted some pics of the changes that it made. I was expecting positive changes from this, but for me my ears can do better.

I will manually make changes back to the way I had it, cause if I were to leave it like this, I might as well just have a sound bar. 

post-60616-0-45880000-1445110206_thumb.j

post-60616-0-82440000-1445110289_thumb.j

post-60616-0-68200000-1445110300_thumb.j

The few times that I've run any kind of auto setup I just gave up on trying to run the subs as part of the process. For me it was easier to just unplug the subs and level match all the speakers in the room, once that was done I plug the subs back in and adjust those by ear.

I agree that comparing the speakers as you did without accounting for gain is kind of unfair. You may very well come to the same conclusion anyway but all the speakers should be tested at an equal output.

RB-81 II specs:

Frequency Response: 44Hz-24KHz ± 3dB SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m POWER HANDLING: 150W RMS / 600W Peak NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible Low Frequency Driver: 8" (20.3cm) Cerametallic cone woofer HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER:

1400Hz

RC-62 specs:

Frequency Response: 57Hz-24KHz ± 3dB SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m POWER HANDLING: 150W RMS / 600W Peak NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible Low Frequency Driver: Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic cone woofers HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 1500Hz

Looking at the specs they seem fairly close. When moving from the 62 to the 81 you might try bumping up the center gain by 1 or 2 db for your comparison to level the playing field. As close as it though I really don't think it would make that much of a difference but you never know.