Strange Question

BigStewMan

So a friend writes:  "If you had to live the same life over and over again for eternity, would you choose the life you are living now?"  

If you say no, the follow-up question is "then why are you living the life you are living now?"

For me, the answer is no.  Too many regrets. I don't like the second question.

• Like 1

In short, a resounding No!, because I didn't know then, what I know now.

Currently living the life I have, because I'm too old to pursue the career I longed for most of my life, but didn't go for it, because I puss'ed out..... didn't have the balls to just go for it.

But then, had I done otherwise, I may not have the great wife and children I do now. Moral of the story, don't dwell on the past, live for today.

• Like 7

Pedal to the metal.  The follow up question is fine if you had many different lives to try.  Otherwise it just sounds like an excuse for suicide.  The only reason I would say no is if I knew I had more chances, otherwise, I'm cool with what I've done regardless of the regrets.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The follow up question is fine if you had many different lives to try.

But we do--we can whine or make changes. I can agree with Gilbert…in hindsight, i’ve played it way too safe.

You only have one life, this isn't a dress rehearsal! Edited by dtel's wife
  • Like 1

So a friend writes: "If you had to live the same life over and over again for eternity, would you choose the life you are living now?"

If you say no, the follow-up question is "then why are you living the life you are living now?"

For me, the answer is no. Too many regrets. I don't like the second question.

The second question isn't profound. Sure, if I could live it over if choose one that was a little better. Let's score them like this: if today's life is a 6, I would choose a 10 as the one to live over and over. But a 6 is certainly not a 0! Therefore, there's nothing bad about living this one out.

Now, as you get real old, your quality falls, that's a fact. And if my quality falls below say a 2, them I will choose to end it.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

The bigger fallacy is the presumption that you can just wish your 10/10 life, and it will be yours.

I think that is what I said, but carry on.

I thought you said that one of the fallacies is you might think you know what you want but be in error.  What I said is that even if you know what you want, that doesn't mean you can have it.

The bigger fallacy is the presumption that you can just wish your 10/10 life, and it will be yours.

I thought you said that one of the fallacies is you might think you know what you want but be in error.  What I said is that even if you know what you want, that doesn't mean you can have it.

That's a very fine distinction.  If you substitute your term presumption with my you think the concept is pretty close.  In the end the result is the same is it not?

That's a very fine distinction.  If you substitute your term presumption with my you think the concept is pretty close.  In the end the result is the same is it not?

I think not knowing what you want and not being able to get something you know you want are 2 very different things. But we need not digress over this....