What line do the Klipsch KV Center Channels go with?

japosey

The KV-4 has the big 2 inch K-64-KN compression driver on a Tractrix horn that matches up with the 2 inch K-63-KN driver and Tractrix horn of the Epic CF-2/3/4.

The KV-2/3 use a smaller 1 inch driver with an exponential cone and significantly less power handling. I'm not really sure what they match up with?

jimjimbo,

That is what I have read (and experienced personally):  the KG 2.2V center channel speaker integrates very well with the KG line.  In fact, I have the KG 2.2s as L/R, and the 2.2V as the center down here in my home office (basement).  They were made to go together, and they sound wonderful, IMO.

Oops.  My bad.  Failed to read.  The question is about KV centers, not KGs . . . . Sorry.

Edited by JiminSTL

The CF-3/4 were made 94-95-96.  The KV-4, which looks to me like a perfect match for the CF-3 and the CF-4, was made in 96-97.  The smaller KV-3 was made from 93-97.

My question is, was there a larger center made for the CF-3/4 in its day?  I wonder why the KV-4 came into production at the end of the Epic series run?

People rave about the RC-7 and RC-64.  I wonder why there isn't so much love for the KV-4?  Too big?  Too short a production run?

Edited by wvu80

Dave,

I did own/use the KV-4.  With my KLF-30s and 20s.  I loved the KV-4 before I sold it when the chance came along to "upgrade" to the more matched KLF-C7.  While I do not, evidently, have the understanding and/or ability to make finer auditory distinctions (meaning, I loved the KV-4 in its then-current use with the KLFs), even I was able to detect some difference (or so I thought) when I substituted the C7.  20% "better"?  Don't know.

But that KV-4 is one heckuva speaker! 

• Like 1

In 1994 I called Klipsch inquiring about literature for their KG line of speakers and literature for matching center speakers and also subwoofers. Klipsch mailed me the literature for the entire KG line, the matching KV center speakers and their SW series II subwoofers. Several dealers I visited were selling the KV centers as matching center speakers for the KG towers. I still have the literature today, but not the speakers.

Keith

Thanks for all the responses.  The literature I have from the early 90's lists all the KG line including the KG 2.2V.  There was no reference to the KV center channels.  I assume they began producing the KV line since they were a little more streamlined and would fit better above or below a TV.  I imagine they would work with several lines from the 90's given the similarity of the tweeters.

The CF-3/4 were made 94-95-96. The KV-4, which looks to me like a perfect match for the CF-3 and the CF-4, was made in 97-98. The smaller KV-3 was made from 93-97.

My question is, was there a larger center made for the CF-3/4 in its day? I wonder why the KV-4 came into production after the Epic series was over?

People rave about the RC-7 and RC-64. I wonder why there isn't so much love for the KV-4? Too big? Too short a production run?

You need to go back and look at the Klipsch webpage you linked to... The KV-4 was introduced in 1996. And that was the last year of the Epic CF series. The KV-4 shares the same 2 inch driver of the CF-2/3/4 and they all have a Tractrix horn.

So it appears Klipsch decided to finally make a center channel (the KV-4) to match the CF-2/3/4, even though it was the last year of the production run.

The other KV center channels had a smaller 1 inch compression driver with an exponential cone. Those more closely match the KG series floorstanding speakers (3.5, 5.5, etc) and their production run.

People who have the KV-4 and KLF-C7 really like them. For some they may be too big... but their relatively short production runs (and rarity these days) may have more to do with why they're less well known or liked than the RC center channels.

• Like 1