to Feet or Not to Feet....

InVeNtOr

i know this subject is in a tread somewhere, but i can't find it again. 

basically, i have my fully modded 7's sitting on a hard tile floor (it's the tile that looks like hard wood).  i read on one of these treads two guys having a "discussion" about it's better to remove the feet and have the speaker directly on the floor.  one of them even shared a very old newspaper image of Mr. Klipsch himself saying to not have feet installed.

when these were in my apartement, the feet were removed just because i didn't feel like re-installing them after i moved in.  when they were at my home, they were on.  i never did an A/B, and doubt i ever will....

so my basic question is, is it better to have the feet on or leave them off and put some foam under them?  the foam i will be using is the same stuff i put on my horns and inside the cabinet.  it's Aircraft grade antivibration foam.  basically, dynamat for airplanes.

these are in a 3.1 configuration, in an open floor plan home, on tile.  there is a very large rug in that room but it doesn't cover the entire room. 

if i'm being honest, without feet seems to be a better option, becasue i can slide those heavy suckers around easier, but if having the feet on are a much better way, then i'll go that route.

thanks for your help....

so my basic question is, is it better to have the feet on or leave them off and put some foam under them? the foam i will be using is the same stuff i put on my horns and inside the cabinet. it's Aircraft grade antivibration foam. basically, dynamat for airplanes.

I don't know what Aircraft Grade anti-vibration foam is, but it sounds like something I need.  I put just about everything I own on a rubber pad or on some foam.  B)

these are in a 3.1 configuration, in an open floor plan home, on tile. there is a very large rug in that room but it doesn't cover the entire room. [/quote

I like the 3.1 configuration, I think it is under-appreciated, but it gives you 90% of the sound which is good for virtually everything except movies that are audio immersive.  I also read your links on how you mod'ed your center.  You don't hear much on people mod'ing centers and I like what you did.

FYI I don't think feet/no feet on your L/R will make any kind of audible difference.  My large CF-4's have spikes which I removed,  The speakers now sit on a 3/4" hard rubber mat and it seems to work fine.

thanks for the complement.

i would assume i wouldn't "hear" much of a difference, but i just had to ask.  i'll probaby put a few pieces of foam on the bottom and not think twice about it.  the only problem, once it's on, it's ON! i have very badly damaged speakers, so i can't hurt the value anyways.

if you really want some of it, pay for the shipping and i'll send you all that i have.  the issue would be, they are all cut into RF7/RC7 foam kits.  so all in triangles.  you can see the shape in the "horn mod" link.  i'll stick 3 pieces on the bottom and that should balance it just fine. one of the attributes of this foam, it only needs to cover 85% of the surface to work 100%. 

i was thinking of going to just a 2.1 but i already have the extra amp and 4 other RS-42's all boxed up....i can't bare the thought of the RC7 sitting in the attic. i can't sell it either, the condition isn't 100% perfect, and i changed the crossover so now it won't match any stock RF7's. one guy on here was really interested in buying it, but i steered him away because i don't think it would sound good with stock 7's.  i guess i'm a tard for listing it for sale. sometimes i don't know what's wrong with me....lol.

if you really want some of it, pay for the shipping and i'll send you all that i have.

Very interesting, thanks for the offer, I'll take it.  I'll PM you and we can exchange addresses, so I can send you some cash.

I actually have an idea for what I will do with it.  I have had a couple of forum members send me various parts for free and I want to build a super center which match my CF-4's which will feature an EV DH-1506 compression driver I had from a previous project.  I'm trying to put it together with Klipsch Forum donated items, so the foam will be a much appreciated part of that.  At one time I thought I had a pair of RC-7 woofs, but that fell through, so I'm still looking for items, and more importantly, ideas.

+++

OT:  Your Oklahoma Sooners and OSU Cowboys are looking good!  I was in the stadium in West Virginia earlier this season when the Cowboys beat WVU in OT, they looked good.  Go Big 12!

Edited by wvu80

Do you think this foam would be something you apply to a k400 horn to deaden it?

Yeah Mark, it sounds like it's pretty good stuff.  Mr. Inventor could speak as to how good.

Do you have an need for it?  I have an idea for a project, but my use for it would not be for a long time as I am still looking for one of everything.  I would would be happy to give up my claim for it if you could use it.

Its a budget solution but i had a similar situation with my KG 5.5s and I cut out an old yoga mat we had in the shape of the speaker bottom and put that between the speaker and the floor. It actually worked pretty well to protect the speaker and sonically it helps the speaker 'Stick' to the floor which prevents micro vibrations moving it back and forth when turned up.

• Like 2

If the speakers are rocking on the floor it will help.  If not it is a crap shoot.  There may be some floor bounce interfering with the sound and a rug may help.  If the floor is vibrating at very high volume a small pad or piece of rug style material may help, about 3/4 in. thick.

• Like 1

Well years ago I use to chat with HDBR builder a lot and his idea was to use those floor grippers ...not sure what they are called now...but he told me a story. Paul had sent them to install a khorn system and put these on the bottom since the home owner had smooth floors. So I guess Paul went over to check this out and had he told them it was one of the best sounding things he heard.

So I got some for my scalas and tried them it seems to isolate and also stick them to the floor. Maybe HDBR could chime in here since I have had a transplant since then and do not remember things as good anymore for some reason. Could be just getting old   huh.  Rick

Doc,

Do you think this foam would be something you apply to a k400 horn to deaden it? I 'm thinking in terms of my Ks and Belle. It sounds like a winner, can you let me know your impressions when you put into use?

TY

Mark

that's exactly why i use it.  it makes my plastic RF7/RC7 horn sound like a wooden horn.  that is why my crossovers differ from others. 

• Like 2

donations you say.....hm.....

i have boxes of stuff i am not using.  let me go through it and i'll tell what i have and you can cherry pick your way through it.  some hot items...i do have my first set of caps from my first RC7 mod, i have gold contacts for hooking wires to speakers, i have teflon tubing for cap/resistor leads, and other mis. stuff. i'll set some stuff out and take a pic for ya.

• Like 1

So, here are the items I can let go....

good thing u r not building power/rca cables, I have much, much more!

The red twisted wire, that 12awg Anticables wire....

RF7 tweeter....

military spec twisted 12awg wire...

monoprice wire....

Caps/resistor from RC7 mod....

klipsch monster jumpers...

gold speaker spade terimanls....

Nickel speaker spade terimanls.... (I don't think they are silver)

Teflon spikes (what I used for my RC7 crossover)....

48 pieces of horn cut foam....

a large piece of Isodamp (it's the antivibration material without foam)...

mounting hardware. Those are inserts u screw into the MDF, then u can use 10/32 or 8/32 screws to have a acess.

Teflon tubing for insulating caps/resistors....

if u want, figure out how u r going to build the speaker, and let me know how many u need. I have a bunch because I was going to build custom cornscalas.

post-21676-0-93760000-1447684247_thumb.j

if u want, figure out how u r going to build the speaker, and let me know how many u need. I have a bunch because I was going to build custom cornscalas.

I'm in the middle of a project (dishwasher electrical meltdown) or I would assemble some things now for you to look at and consider.  I could use the help.

Basically, here's the idea:  I'd like to build a center out of donated parts, an MTM (probably).

I have a pair of CF-4's I modded using the EV DH-1506 compression drivers.  I have an extra DH-1506, so I was considering building some kind of economical "super center" using the DH-1506 in the middle.  Forum member pats30f4 was going to send me a pair of RF-7 woofs but that fell through, not because to pats3of4 fault. 

Zeus121996 sent me a single CF-3 XO, so that would form the beginning of a solid 2-way design.

Just today I got a gift package from MookieStl, a pair of La Scala AK XO's.  So if I wanted to do a 3-way design, that option just became available.

Parts would not be the biggest problem for me because I figured I would have to buy a couple of things.  My biggest problem is I don't have a firm concept of what to build, and I don't have the skill or tools to build boxes.

Anything you send would go into the center speaker.  If I got enough stuff to build a pair of speakers, I would then expand it into a project I could send to a forum member who wanted/needed them.

So there is my vague notion of a project.  Suggestions/directions accepted.  B)

Edited by wvu80

i know this subject is in a tread somewhere, but i can't find it again. 

basically, i have my fully modded 7's sitting on a hard tile floor (it's the tile that looks like hard wood).  i read on one of these treads two guys having a "discussion" about it's better to remove the feet and have the speaker directly on the floor.  one of them even shared a very old newspaper image of Mr. Klipsch himself saying to not have feet installed.

when these were in my apartement, the feet were removed just because i didn't feel like re-installing them after i moved in.  when they were at my home, they were on.  i never did an A/B, and doubt i ever will....

so my basic question is, is it better to have the feet on or leave them off and put some foam under them?  the foam i will be using is the same stuff i put on my horns and inside the cabinet.  it's Aircraft grade antivibration foam.  basically, dynamat for airplanes.

these are in a 3.1 configuration, in an open floor plan home, on tile.  there is a very large rug in that room but it doesn't cover the entire room. 

if i'm being honest, without feet seems to be a better option, becasue i can slide those heavy suckers around easier, but if having the feet on are a much better way, then i'll go that route.

thanks for your help....

That was my KLF 30 Mods thread. It was a huge difference to me, cleaner sounding and deeper bass. but as I always say try it and see, hearing is believing. You'll never know until you try. :)

oh, tip for the day....when it comes to installing this foam (or any adhesive backed item, such as stickers etc) spray the adhesive side with alcohol and you will be able to slide the item into place.  depending on how much you spray will depend on how many minutes you have to work with it.  for instance, if you have a large decal you want to install without bubbles or creases, spray the alcohol, place the decal, and use a paint scraper (plastic of course) and smooth it out.  you will be left with a perfectly placed decal with zero bubbles or creases. 

• Like 1

My biggest problem is I don't have a firm concept of what to build, and I don't have the skill or tools to build boxes.

So there is my vague notion of a project.  Suggestions/directions accepted.  B)

wow! that is a big problem! lol!

i'm not good on different design ideas, i'm better at taking something and improving the parts and making those have better synergy.  i personally would suggest doing the same thing one forum member did and build a normal CF4, but in a center configuration. i don't know who he is, but he build a RF-7 as a center speaker.  it looked good, real good.

if it were me, i would want something like the RC64.  i really really really like the 4 woofer design and the fact it's sealed, is icing.  now, i have zero idea if that's the "best" design, but i sure do like how it looks! lol!

i want to get rid of my 7's, and go to a RB61 /  RC64 combo just because i like how they look together with all matching size woofers. (i know, that's dumb, and i won't do it, but i just like how it looks).

i wonder, can you build a center speaker with one of those Got Hover wooden horns? would that even work? i think a 3.1 Belle set up would be killer, i just don't like the size of one as a center. that was one of my sticking points for me building Corscalas, i had issues making the center smaller, well shaped different to work in my set up as a center. 

once you answer that pm, i'll grab some flat rate boxes and see if i can get it to fit...

• Like 1

once you answer that pm, i'll grab some flat rate boxes and see if i can get it to fit...

PM sent.  B)

Basically, hang on to whatever hardware you think you might need.  I've already got some 10/32 screws with 6-prong Tnuts, so I'm good to go on mounting hardware.

You've got a good amount of banana plugs listed, and they're expensive.  I've got banana plugs, so make sure they are something you won't use again if you're thinking about sending them.

I like your idea of the RC-64 type center.  I'm leaning that way if I can figure out what parts I have will work with what parts.

Edited by wvu80