Multimedia HT Ideals

derrickdj1

It is not related to measuring: the layout of the room will be changed to put the screen and speakers on the longest wall and move the seating back.  The TV will be wall mounted where the screen will come down a few inches in front of it.  I think I need an HDMI switcher/splitter.  This way I can run the BDP to the projector.  My previous option 1 was less work but, not Ideal to take advantage of the large screen.  I have a feeling this is turning into a mini theater build.  I am even thinking about some track light with a dimmer.  There is a slight chance that I will only have to move one or two subs.

• Like 1

Well, the projector arrived today and most like I will have the screen and mount by Saturday.  I can already see this is going to be a little more work than I was looking for.  I showed the wife 100 in. diagonal on the measuring tape and she just shook her head, lol.

It shrinks faster than you want it to. At your distance you could have went another 20-30" and be perfectly comfortable. First time or two you turn it on may be weird but then it's just perfectly normal especially if it were 2.35. 16:9 starts getting a little tall for my taste with some material.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Not a fan of screens, Just paint your wall with flat white ceiling paint and don't waste money on those screens.

It's the frame that you're paying for. The screen material for a non-AT screen isn't quite as important as many people think. A fat velvet covered frame can make it look hella nice though.

• Like 1

Metro, I have not thought about watching regular TV on the big screen.  I guess you can.

Works perfectly fine. Only problem is that if you have a 2.35:1 screen you'll be wanting all the TV shows and playstation games to be in the same ratio but most aren't.

Metro, I have not thought about watching regular TV on the big screen.  I guess you can.

Works perfectly fine. Only problem is that if you have a 2.35:1 screen you'll be wanting all the TV shows and playstation games to be in the same ratio but most aren't.

I will be learning a lot along the way.  I guess I should have paid attention reading the HT thread when people talked about projections and screens.  :(

How are most people hooking up the BDP and TV to the projector?

Edited by derrickdj1

Both my receiver have two outputs for hdmi. One with audio which goes to tv the other is video only for the projector. And your 100" ain't gonna be nothing. You will get used to it so fast. I'd leave your room just the way it is. You have everything dialed in already.

• Like 1

HDMI from dvd/blu ray player to the projector and rca outs from the dvd/blu ray to my Harman Kardon amp.

Sorry I didn't process the question correctly, I don't do a tv. the only time I do tv on my setup is Superbowl, and then I use a digital converter box and feed it to the projector with the RBG yt thingys. and send the audio to the amp .

Edited by cradeldorf

In regards to playing tv on a projector, satellite works fine since it has a box but with broadcast you need a channelmaster tuner and antenna. If you're used to using the TV as a cable tuner you need a channel master tuner as well. You can find them on ebay straight from the company cheaper than wholesale. Supposed to be refurbished but I'm not sure they are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Channel-Master-Cable-TV-Antenna-HD-Tuner-Digital-to-Analog-Converter-Box-7001-/261911699800?hash=item3cfb276158:g:vm0AAOSw3xJVbRIx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Channel-Master-TV-Antenna-Indoor-Outdoor-Omnidirectional-SMARTenna-3000HD-/251980322957?hash=item3aab32988d:g:V1QAAOSwZd1VbNQm

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Both my receiver have two outputs for hdmi. One with audio which goes to tv the other is video only for the projector. And your 100" ain't gonna be nothing. You will get used to it so fast. I'd leave your room just the way it is. You have everything dialed in already.

I pulled the avr manual.  That's been a while since I have done that.  There are two HDMI's out on the avr.  One is the master control and the 2nd one I can use for the projector.  I am going with options 2.  The wife likes that one better.  The wall have been measured, Projector mounts spot located based on the throw of the BenQ projector.  I hung the flat screen TV mount this AM.  Later today I will move out some furniture or relocate the  cable outlets to the other wall.

HDMI from dvd/blu ray player to the projector and rca outs from the dvd/blu ray to my Harman Kardon amp.

Sorry I didn't process the question correctly, I don't do a tv. the only time I do tv on my setup is Superbowl, and then I use a digital converter box and feed it to the projector with the RBG yt thingys. and send the audio to the amp .

I will have to see if the HDMI 2 will output the cable TV.  This is not a high priority since the Flat screen will be in the room.

In regards to playing tv on a projector, satellite works fine since it has a box but with broadcast you need a channelmaster tuner and antenna. If you're used to using the TV as a cable tuner you need a channel master tuner as well. You can find them on ebay straight from the company cheaper than wholesale. Supposed to be refurbished but I'm not sure they are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Channel-Master-Cable-TV-Antenna-HD-Tuner-Digital-to-Analog-Converter-Box-7001-/261911699800?hash=item3cfb276158:g:vm0AAOSw3xJVbRIx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Channel-Master-TV-Antenna-Indoor-Outdoor-Omnidirectional-SMARTenna-3000HD-/251980322957?hash=item3aab32988d:g:V1QAAOSwZd1VbNQm

I hope the HDMI 2 will work the cable through the projector.  If not, I will just do Netflix via the BDP.  I new this was going to turn into a big project.  I will move the speakers and subs tomorrow.  This time I will only use 4 locations, two in each spot.  This should net a bit more spl and still keep a good FR.

Today's update:  The room is officially tore up, he, he.  The TV is up and wall mounted.  The Screen is outlined in painter's tape and some of the gear will be under the TV and Screen.  The sectional is now around 22 ft. from the TV and screen.  Tomorrow I will wire the subs, FW speakers.  Moving the cable connection to the back wall was a bear, grrr.

post-50685-0-25320000-1448217652_thumb.j

• Like 1

Today's update:  The speakers wire runs were done today and all the main speakers and surrounds work.  This set is utilizing FW that are place 5 ft from the Mains.  I couldn't get my wireless ethernet gizmo to work right so I ran some cat 6 Ethernet cable to the HD PC/My Book by Western Digital.  Tomorrow I will complete the wiring of the subs.

The Screen arrived to day.  The projector came the other day: now waiting on the ceiling mount to arrive tomorrow.  Hopefully before the weekend  is up, the screen and projector will be up.  Then some wall repair work. :(

That the wall is much better than the way it was before...Now you just got to move couch a little.

That is what my wife said.  I did move the couch over.  Ran most of the sub cables today, screen is up, and tomorrow I will mount the projector into the ceiling.  I ordered a 50 ft. sub cable to reach the I Nuke amps.  I need to hide a lot of wires and patch up a few wall and add a splash of paint.

Hopefully by the end of next week, I will be 90% done.  Then I can hang some of the movie posters.  I am try to use stuff I already have to keep the cost of the project down and not due a lot of building like for a dedicated HT.  This space will be 90 + % for music and other activities.  Here are some update pic's.  The room is a mess, lol.

post-50685-0-58500000-1448419459_thumb.j

post-50685-0-54200000-1448419471_thumb.j

How close do you need to be, lol.  Maybe I will change my mind later but, with the pic that big I really don't want to sit any closer for now.  I like the open space that will be between the seating and audio/video gear.  I don't like sitting up close in theaters.

Derrick,

Think about this..... It appears from the photos that the entrance to the room is just in front of where the phone is mounted to the wall. This should remain a walkway. Just to the left of the walkway is the front edge of coffee centered to the screen. Your couch instead of being set like a "L..... Set it up like "V" with the coffee table in the center. Those big *** subs should go behind the "V" shaped seating area in an array ... 2 angled in from each outside wall and 2 more closed to the center.

As far as that chair and foot stool. That needs to go all the way to the back of the room..... Just a thought

G.E.M

Edited by oldred
  • Like 2

Derrick,

Think about this..... It appears from the photos that the entrance to the room is just in front of where the phone is mounted to the wall. This should remain a walkway. Just to the left of the walkway is the front edge of coffee centered to the screen. Your couch instead of being set like a "L..... Set it up like "V" with the coffee table in the center. Those big *** subs should go behind the "V" shaped seating area in an array ... 2 angled in from each outside wall and 2 more closed to the center.

As far as that chair and foot stool. That needs to go all the way to the back of the room..... Just a thought

G.E.M

Great ideas, I will soon be fighting with a similar space issue with furniture & gear placement.

Derrick,

G.E.M

The entrance to the basement is actually off to the left of the sectional.  The open area that you are seeing to the right of the phone goes to the bathroom and a storage room.  Off to the left, it leads to the other half of the basement.  Doors close that section off.  The space really is not a walkway except for the bathroom.

There are two subs behind the sectional and two off to the left and another near the L portion near the wall.  So, two should act like near field.  The subs are just to large to put them side by side in an array which is what I wanted.  The problem with the room is that it has quite a few bends which makes it hard to use in a way.

I got the projector up but need to adjust it lower and further back to utilize more of the screen.  It's going to take some work to get things just right.  I will get an electrician out next week once I get the project set correctly to install a ceiling outlet.