Car Audio Gurus wanted

The History Kid

My mom managed to blow at least one if not both speakers in the back of my '06 Taurus. I had those speakers for the lifetime of the vehicle (in my possession), and it took her less than a few weeks to totally wreck them. She just doesn't understand how source levels work apparently.

They were a pair of Pioneer's prior. I'm wondering what the forum thinks I should look at brand wise for replacements. My budget is probably maxed at $75 for the pair. Thoughts? (I welcome referral of direct/online brands as well.)

Are those 6x8 speakers? If you can fit 6x9's I might could help out, have a real nice set of older Clarion Pro's with silk dome tweets. I think you can buy adapters at Wal-Mart for less than $10. They're way better than the typical crap you can find at that price nowadays. They were $300 new and I caught them on sale for $220. 20 years ago. :)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

3-way silk dome Clarion Pro SE3905's.  You can have them for whatever you think they're worth but $50 plus $25 shipping would be sweet. :)  To be honest I have no idea what they are worth and would sell them for cheaper if it would help.  Have had them in storage for 20 years.  Won a whole shelf full of trophies with these but then wrecked my car.  Haven't seen anything in modern times that I would think would be better in your price range.  PM or call if you're interested.  270-556-8427.  

20151218_202250_zpsdix5gkst.jpg

20151218_202146_zpsacs4obsu.jpg

Make sure you measure the depth and don't get anything that exceeds the maximum clearance.

I have found Infinity & JBL to be a great sounding not very expensive speaker, if not using an outboard be sure to choose something at least 90 dB efficient and the higher the better.

If an outboard amp is used the efficiency becomes less important.

The Infinity Reference 9632cf would be my first value pick but look around and decide for yourself, if you have the option to hear them first before you fork out your cash please do so.

Infinity link

JBL

• Like 1

Sadly, those guys are a bit too big.  I'm going to check out Met's stuff first.  She's got fair balance in that car as it stands, and rarely has passengers.  I'm probably going to replace the front two with the JBL's that jason suggested too though. 

Somewhere down the road I'd like to get the smaller speakers put in everywhere in my Fusion.  There are 10 fittings, and I think only 6 or 8 are in use.  When I had some body work done on it not too long ago, they put me in the same vehicle with all 10 running, I could actually tell the difference - probably because of the driver-side back door speaker being near my ear.

4x10 will not fit without modifications unfortunately.

Ha, brings to mind back in my day, when i saw/got a deal on speakers, i jumped and got-em, made them fit.

My first experience with subwoofers was before they became mainstream, cut out a big hole in the rear deck of my 73 Delta 88 for a 15" Altec woofer, worked great while it lasted.

I had two different buddies place in iasca nationals with these same speakers. One won his class in a beretta and is where half my gear came from when he redid his car afterwards. The other was modified door panels in a Ford ranger. They were very popular back then. I'll get them out on Monday. If you don't like them then don't pay me anything. :)

• Like 2

Ha, brings to mind back in my day, when i saw/got a deal on speakers, i jumped and got-em, made them fit.

I cut my car to hell doing this. Ports from a bandpass box firing through the rear deck, 6.5's in kick panels, tweets in the ac vents, center channel in the ash tray, 6.5's in the doors, 8" in quarter panels, none of that was supposed to fit. :)

• Like 1

I cut my car to hell doing this. Ports from a bandpass box firing through the rear deck, 6.5's in kick panels, tweets in the ac vents, center channel in the ash tray, 6.5's in the doors, 8" in quarter panels, none of that was supposed to fit. :)

"I cut my car to hell doing this"

Of course you did, as i have done, there is NOTHING that stood in our way of Kick-Azz-Sound.

Sawsall, Tin-snips whatever we had to work with, as you also remember, TOOLS, did not matter, we used whatever we had at the time.

End Product?

Just exactly what we wanted.

And we ONLY read instrucions when something does not look right, that sir is called being an American. :emotion-21:

• Like 2

Kid just came over and is always happy to get kickazz stuff that he knows, works.

Kid said they come at the perfect time as he is redoing his small work truck audio system.

He has never really ask me for anything, but today he ask if i did not have any old recievers laying around.

Like an "indash" unit, well i just happen to have an Alpine, top of the line 10 years ago, too beat up to offer here.

and yep it's in a Tote, so back up the ladder i go,,,,,,Happy kid.

• Like 2

You should totally pull some bookshelf speakers out of a tote...I'd take them for sure. :P

Believe it or not, every time i get into this "Audio Tote", i need to pick up and move two dam little woodboxed speakers.

I'll look and see what they are, but dont get you're hopes up too much, cause i think they may be from a souround system or something like that, and who the hell knows who made-em...i'll look.