Who wants to mentor me?

Jim

After seeing all of these builds and tube jargon going on, I'm interested in learning how to read and do all this DIY stuff.

Besides the obvious of reading up on youtube and google, where should I start with learning things? I feel like the little kid following around all the cool kids wanting to be involved and hanging out.

Hell I'll even spring for the member jackets for our "gang" if I'm allowed to join. I don't mind going out for the coffee run and lunch orders either.

• Like 2

I would say start by getting some junk electrical devices and rip the printed circuit boards from them. Get yourself a decent soldering station and a multimeter. You will also need a desolder pump, desolder braid, solder, and some flux. Then practice removing and resoldering components on and off the printed circuit boards you salvaged from junk electronics. In the meantime learn to read schematics. I haven't looked at this whole link but it looks informative: http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO-READ-CIRCUIT-DIAGRAMS/

Also read up on some common safety practices when working on electronics.

After you feel comfortable you can start to build stuff.

If you really want to have a good grasp on things get something like "The Art of Electronics" and work your way through that. The first chapter has some complicated maths but take your time and learn the fundamentals. If you want to specialize on tube circuits then there are several great books on tube amplifier circuits. But cross that bridge when you get to it. Start small and practice soldering, good soldering skills is really important.

After seeing all of these builds and tube jargon going on, I'm interested in learning how to read and do all this DIY stuff.

Besides the obvious of reading up on youtube and google, where should I start with learning things? I feel like the little kid following around all the cool kids wanting to be involved and hanging out.

Hell I'll even spring for the member jackets for our "gang" if I'm allowed to join. I don't mind going out for the coffee run and lunch orders either.

There would be no better place to start such a quest than the Pilgrimage in Hope, Arkansas in May, at the foot and tutelage of Roy Delgado ;)

Roger

• Like 1

There would be no better place to start such a quest than the Pilgrimage in Hope, Arkansas in May, at the foot and tutelage of Roy Delgado ;)

Roger

I must echo this. 

And I'll say Roger is no slouch in his own right. He'll talk to you and treat you like a friend that you've never met...saving you years on your audio journey. 

PM most of the guys on this forum and they'll be more than happy to help you on the next step of your audio journey. 

Scott

• Like 1

The best way would be to find someone locally that is into DIY...tubes or whatever...

The experience of being right next to someone at one's bench learning things is priceless. You are right there to ask questions, you can see what's going on.

It's what I did. He turned out to be a good friend and I learned quite a bit...well...for me...

• Like 1

Jim, what I'd do is get in touch with the New Jersey Antique Radio Club.  Most of their members, some of whom are audiophiles, live very close to you.  In addition, they host 2 radio repair clinics each year.  If you attend, you can watch the guys doing repairs and restorations on radios brought in by the public (they don't charge for this!), ask questions, and learn a great deal.  In fact, a good way to start is with an old All American Five table radio which you can pick up very inexpensively, bring it to the repair clinic, and directly learn from the guy who works on it.  He's even likely to teach you how to solder as part of the process!  Remember, a radio contains a very simple single ended audio amplifier stage which is the inspiration for many of my designs like the Gem and Sweet Potato.

Maynard

Forgot the link!!!  http://www.njarc.org/

Edited by tube fanatic
  • Like 1

im no tech savvy guru by any means, but i think it is possible that the email could have gone to the spam folder.

I just sent you a PM with a copy of the email Jim.  Did you check your spam on the chance that my emails got dumped in there?   Maynard

im no tech savvy guru by any means, but i think it is possible that the email could have gone to the spam folder.

I just sent you a PM with a copy of the email Jim.  Did you check your spam on the chance that my emails got dumped in there?   Maynard

For some reason his emails weren't hitting either folder. Changed emails and no issues now Bossman.