La Scala's back in the house *EDIT*

Matthews

I'd be interested in those old AA's if you don't have an immediate home for them.

"QH" you are the first to inquire about the x-overs so if it turns out I have no need for them, they are yours.  Still trying to wrap my head around what has happened at the moment :wacko:  - will be in touch

Those cabinets aren't in that bad of shape.

Gonna make em' work, "Marvel" :)  - the bottom of one of them is in very bad shape, game plan in place :emotion-21:

I like your project Matt, but it looks like those need one of everything!

-LOL- I know man, sent my head spinning!!! 

• Like 1

Is the bottom in bad shape just the co er for the doghouse? They always get beat up.

Well the one has some peeling veneer and the 3/4" plywood has separated in places at bottom corners.  Spent the morning shooting wood glue and clamping.  This one also has some evidence of water damage to the bottom panel.  Going to sand it out the best I can :emotion-21:

post-36834-0-52400000-1451265818_thumb.j

I like your project Matt, but it looks like those need one of everything!

Regarding the K-400, those things on Ebay are expensive!  I realize what I am about to say is heresy (ahem) but doesn't someone make a clone or knockoff you can get cheaper?  Something from Parts-Express maybe?

Isn't perfection the enemy of the good?

• Like 1

I know, Matt, as you are a man of Christian faith, that SOMETHING good and right will come of this.  We simply do not know what or when, necessarily.  It may be the actiions and growth of others here . . . .

Edited by JiminSTL
  • Like 1

That's just and older mid horn. My 1972 Ks have that horn in them and my 1980 Scalas have that other horn in them. So no biggy just sand and smooth then paint with enamel. You can not see the horn if you put grills on them. But if you want to re[lace just get plastic one from Klipsch. Sell those.

When I rebuilt my Ks I sanded smooth the joints and the throat painted with the black enamel from lowes. Then put O-rings in for the gasket cause the old gasket sticks out into the sound path. You have to put a dab of Vaseline on the o-ring to tighten it down though. If your going to leave grills off they look good when you veneer the fronts like I did to mine and I put metal tabs under the veneer so I could put the grills on or take them off. There are pics of them on forum. Rick

Matt, I have a horn that was "thrown in" to a purchase I made a couple of years ago. It reads: "Klipsch Inc., K-96-K, 129056, Sep 25, 1997". Is about 6 1/2" x 6 1/2". ANY possible use to you?

Very kind of you, Jim :)  - unfortunately, that horn is just a little to small.  Thank you for looking.

That's just and older mid horn. My 1972 Ks have that horn in them and my 1980 Scalas have that other horn in them. So no biggy just sand and smooth then paint with enamel. You can not see the horn if you put grills on them. But if you want to re[lace just get plastic one from Klipsch. Sell those.

Rick, if the two horns were identical, with the seam, it would be no big deal.  However, they are not & I would never be able to get them to look the same, no matter how much sanding I do.  Will call Klipsch parts today, see what they have to say.  Alternatively, Mookie has thrown a rope down the hole to help me :)

Edited by Matthews

Are you serious? Not available for what reason? Did they even ask if it was for a genuine Klipsch product?

Yeah, told them what I was doing and could give serial numbers.  They said, "we don't have any in stock".  Looks like another trip to StL to visit Sir Mookie, again...  It is ALWAYS a pleasure to see my friend though so I am looking forward to the drive :)   (if they have I-70 opened back up by then LOL)   

What does it matter what they look like ??? Are you going to leave them showing without grills???   Who is kidding who at Klipsch...so they are not making Scalas and Klipschorns there???   I think you need to talk to Roy or someone else I bet they could get them for you.  Rick

I'm guessing you've thought of this for at lease 423 nano-seconds.....

But, why not chop the top off, build a new top hat and install the K510 inside.

(then go active 2-way)

I'm here to tell you that it will sound a lot better than the stock drivers/horns.

• Like 3

What does it matter what they look like ??? Are you going to leave them showing without grills??? Who is kidding who at Klipsch...so they are not making Scalas and Klipschorns there??? I think you need to talk to Roy or someone else I bet they could get them for you. Rick

It matters to me, Rick.  No there are no grills and I don't want grills.  Have no idea of how to get ahold of Roy, or someone else...

Then put O-rings in for the gasket cause the old gasket sticks out into the sound path.
1/4 wavelength at the K400/401's upper cutoff is still ~0.5 inch, so a little protrusion is OK. Same goes for the protective screen in the throat that protects the phase plugs from debris.

An air-tight seal is what's most important.

With an O-ring, it's gotta be thin enough to prevent forming a secondary chamber in the throat with the driver installed. The stock gasket design takes up any clearance between the two faces.

• Like 1