AT&T UVerse wiring question

jimjimbo

I would imagine some of you folks have UVerse service.....

My setup is as follows:  Main gateway and receiver in the living room, one wireless receiver in bedroom, one wireless receiver in the basement (my space).  

Problem:  Wireless reception to the basement receiver is terrible.  The receiver does have an ethernet port.  I tried to connect a cable tonight from the main gateway upstairs, to the receiver downstairs, and it pretty much killed my entire network, temporarily (had to disconnect that ethernet cable to the downstairs receiver, and then reboot all of the receivers).    I did have to run it through a switch, so wondering if that might have been the issue.  

Suppose I'm just looking for a bit of advice or ideas, something I may have missed.  Thanks.

Why not get rid of wireless receiver and use a wired one in basement. They always try to raise my rate but I keep telling them I will drop them if I do not get a belter price, It takes several transfers on the phone till someone can lower the price for me but it has worked for 2  years. If google ever gets to my town I will drop them. I think cable companies are shaking in their boots about now everyone is jumping ship. The cell phone will be next I hope. Rick

Problem: Wireless reception to the basement receiver is terrible. The receiver does have an ethernet port. I tried to connect a cable tonight from the main gateway upstairs, to the receiver downstairs, and it pretty much killed my entire network, temporarily (had to disconnect that ethernet cable to the downstairs receiver, and then reboot all of the receivers). I did have to run it through a switch, so wondering if that might have been the issue.

I don't know Uverse or your router.  However, my guess is that there is some setting in your wireless router that needs to be reconfigured.  For instance the setting might say "wireless only" or it may say "wired only."  I don't know.

Can you get into your router config menu by using a browser and just look around?

I found this online, I don't know if it applies, but try typing this URL into the browser and look for a config page:

http://192.168.1.254/

Try contacting ATT tech support.  I doubt you are the first person ever having this issue.

Edited by wvu80

I think you are on the right track with hardwiring your devices together.  Can you get to the setup menu of the receiver in your basement?  Check to make sure that ethernet port you plugged into doesn't say "WAN" on it  I'm assuming the ethernet port you plugged into in the LR is a "LAN" ethernet port because the WAN port should be connected to the box on the outside of your house.  I don't know what kind of gear they gave you in your basement but hopefully it is robust enough to act as a hardwired access-point, and that single ethernet port is not some sort of WAN or diagnostic port.

I have a similar setup with my U-verse receiver acting as the main router for my network - defining the IP address range (192.168.1.x) and handling DHCP for for my home network.  It's hardwired to two Linksys access-points  (not provided by U-verse) in my house via LAN ethernet ports.  These are setup as dumb bridges on the same network as the main U-verse router.  Wired or wireless clients accessing one of these Linksys AP's get their IP address and access the internet via the U-verse router over the hardwired ethernet port connecting the Linksys to the U-verse router.

This is a picture showing what you want to do:  http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Acces_point.jpg

You just have to figure out if/how it can be done with your U-verse gear.

If google ever gets to my town I will drop them.
Our power utility in Chattanooga provides gigabit fiber to your house. Rates are reasonable. Most routers you have in your house can't even handle that higha  data rate. For slightly less they offer a measly 100 megabit,

They recently started offering, to homes mind you... 10 Gigabit residential service. I believe it's around $350 a month.

Bruce