Upgrading my speakers + receivers

Puravida

I'm want to upgrade my speakers & receivers to a better setup for playing movies and music. Now i have:

• 1x Receiver: Denon 3803
  • 1x Center: B&W LCR60
  • 4x Front & Back: B&W 602
  • 1x Subwoofer: REL Q200

I'm thinking of buying:

• 1x Receiver: Marantz SR6010
  • 1x Center: Klipsch RP-250C
  • 2x Front: Klipsch RP-280FA
  • 2x Back: ??????
  • 1x Subwoofer: REL Q200

I saw the Klipsch RP-280FA in the store and now i think it's to big for my small room (see photos). Also any idea's/tips for rear speakers? Or any other speaker/receiver possibilities?

Thanks!

post-62166-0-82760000-1451664023_thumb.j

post-62166-0-27040000-1451664030_thumb.j

Edited by Puravida

Looking at the Dennon AVR X4200W, it has the same features as the 6010, but also offers a 3rd zone capability, and 2 triggers.

Accessories For Less had the 4200 before Christmas for 999, now 1099.

6010 is now 999.

good luck with your eventual decision.

Oh ok! ^_^ A bigger center is possible like the Klipsch RP-440C. With those big speakers around is a subwoofer still neccesary? (i have to keep my neighbours happy) :rolleyes:

For just music I would say no.  For HT and the use of the .1 LFE channel, I would say yes.

Bill

I would go towers and a center to match them Puravida. The footprint won't be much bigger but again the tweeters will be at ear level as Derrick stated. I would say definitely get a sub, it takes the load off your speakers and adds a lot to the soundstage. I love your floors by the way!

• Like 1

Personally if you aren't getting the atmos towers I'd get the 260 over the 280 and spend the saved money and skip the 440c and get the 450c.

I agree.  If no Atmos is in your near future, then the 260's would be just about perfect for your room.  Yes, get the better center speaker.

Bill 

• Like 1

Another vote here for the best center you can find.  Then, the sub.  I like a sub for both movies and music.

Don't think of a bigger center and a sub as "loud."  What I found by following that advice was I could actually play softer because the sound, especially dialog is so clear through a high quality center speaker.  Because it's so clear, my wife actually turns the sound down and finds it more relaxing because she doesn't have to strain to hear dialog.

The sub can add loudness, but what it adds for me is a nice depth for the lowest octaves.  I don't have to crank up the sound to get the bass to sound good.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Bigger is never bad!! Adding a sub is a move you will not regret ... and the deeper it will go, the better. Finally, get the best receiver you can afford, but know what you are paying for. I will always pay for a cleaner signal but not for bells and whistles i don't need or won't use. Sound quality is the deal.

Welcome aboard and best of luck.

I'm no expert but I'd decide on 250's, 260's, or 280's and then use the same all the way around. If there were any way to get speakers in the ceiling, I'd do that for Atmos..  

I'm shopping for an Atmos system too and while I really like the Marantz 6010, there are things that are only in the 7010 that I think I'd want while with Yamaha the 2050 seems to have them and it is priced like the 6010.  Yamaha is worth a look.  

You can also get some deals on last year's models.  With Marantz that means model numbers that end with 9 rather than 10 and with Yamaha it means models ending with 40 rather than 50.