RC-64II Driver Replacement

antwone

My new RC-64II comes with a dimple on one of the cones as shown. Hard to tell but the seller sent me a genuine Klipsch woofer to replace the one with dimple. Does anybody know whether this process will change the sound of this speaker, would it be exactly same as a new RC-64II? Thank you for helping!

post-62202-0-16200000-1452119942_thumb.j

Edited by antwone

My new RC-64II comes with a dimple on one of the cones as shown. Hard to tell but the seller sent me a genuine Klipsch woofer to replace the one with dimple. Does anybody know whether this process will change the sound of this speaker, would it be exactly same as a new RC-64II? Thank you for helping!

I already went through this with you on the AVS fourm, no it wont as long as its the same driver as others said in your thread on the AVS forum as well. :/

• Like 1

I already went through this with you on the AVS fourm, no it wont as long as its the same driver as others said in your thread on the AVS forum as well. :/

Thank you for your suggestion even on another forum. I am waiting for the new driver and heard some people talking about I should pair the driver with other 3 on my speaker. But if Klipsch is not doing that anyway when manufacturing them, I shouldn't worry about pairing process right?

Change the driver or keeping the old driver = same sound.

Thanks! so which means for my speaker, there is no pairing/integration process for all 4 drivers. Klipsch just puts all 4 woofers from assembly line together and they are all independently replaceable. This is less complicated than I expected for a speaker making process.

Thanks! so which means for my speaker, there is no pairing/integration process for all 4 drivers. Klipsch just puts all 4 woofers from assembly line together and they are all independently replaceable. This is less complicated than I expected for a speaker making process.

The tech that goes into making those four speakers work with each other is actually more complicated than you think, but what everybody said above is correct.  Any OEM Klipsch part is spec'd to exactly match the one it is replacing.  They are not "paired" in any special way.

Even though there are four identical mid/bass drivers, the two on the inside have a different crossover point than the two on the outside.  It is this exact extra step that makes your RC-64 II one of the finest centers in the Klipsch universe.  Congrats on a fine purchase!  :emotion-21:

And just for information purposes (I'm not picking on you) the dimple is on the dust cap, not the actual cone material.  It is perfectly fine as a functional driver, I would hang on to it in case you ever need another one, which I doubt you will. 

+++

And guys, cut Mr. Antwone a little slack here.  This RC-64 II is his baby, and he's looking for some validation that his baby is OK.  I would too.  :)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.  If you are replacing the woofer with another RC-54 woofer, no the sound will not be effected.  If you were to replace it with a woofer from the newer RC-64ii, it possibly could sound different (but probably not). 

And just for information purposes (I'm not picking on you) the dimple is on the dust cap, not the actual cone material. It is perfectly fine as a functional driver, I would hang on to it in case you ever need another one, which I doubt you will.

I agree.  Since you have the new replacement woofer coming, I would swap it out for cosmetic purposes but definitely hang onto the one with the dimple. 

It's funny...I googled "dented RC-64ii woofer" as I was going to try and post one with a huge crease in it but instead found your photo.  Even funnier....I didn't even see the dimple you circled....the one I saw was the one up and to the right of it.  So you actually have two dimples in the driver instead of one.  :(

1m.jpg

Thanks everyone! Yea it is bugging me a lot after knowing there are two dimples on my new purchase. But I guess I got no other options as it might be not considered as defective?

I will swap it out because when I run it without grill, which is what I usually do, the one that is not circled out is pretty obvious. The outcome will be perfect based on many posting here and there. But having a DIY project right after a new purchase isn't making me very happy.

Welcome to the forums. If you are replacing the woofer with another RC-54 woofer, no the sound will not be effected. If you were to replace it with a woofer from the newer RC-64ii, it possibly could sound different (but probably not).

And just for information purposes (I'm not picking on you) the dimple is on the dust cap, not the actual cone material. It is perfectly fine as a functional driver, I would hang on to it in case you ever need another one, which I doubt you will.

I agree. Since you have the new replacement woofer coming, I would swap it out for cosmetic purposes but definitely hang onto the one with the dimple.

It's funny...I googled "dented RC-64ii woofer" as I was going to try and post one with a huge crease in it but instead found your photo. Even funnier....I didn't even see the dimple you circled....the one I saw was the one up and to the right of it. So you actually have two dimples in the driver instead of one. :(

1m.jpg

The circled one is pointed out by AVS forum, and yes I am lucky enough to have two on the same driver!

OP, I would not sweat this.  Replacing the driver should take about 10 min, and as long as it's the same part #, you will be good to go.

I've personally had to replace a few drivers and tweeters on new speakers over the years (not Klipsch).  It's not a big deal and I don't think about it once it's done.  

OP, I would not sweat this. Replacing the driver should take about 10 min, and as long as it's the same part #, you will be good to go.

I've personally had to replace a few drivers and tweeters on new speakers over the years (not Klipsch). It's not a big deal and I don't think about it once it's done.

Thank you! I previously thought swapping one driver would have effect on the harmony with other three, felt bad about it. Now if all is good, I'm fine with it.

• Like 1

The tech that goes into making those four speakers work with each other is actually more complicated than you think, but what everybody said above is correct. Any OEM Klipsch part is spec'd to exactly match the one it is replacing. They are not "paired" in any special way.

Even though there are four identical mid/bass drivers, the two on the inside have a different crossover point than the two on the outside. It is this exact extra step that makes your RC-64 II one of the finest centers in the Klipsch universe. Congrats on a fine purchase! :emotion-21:

+++

And guys, cut Mr. Antwone a little slack here. This RC-64 II is his baby, and he's looking for some validation that his baby is OK. I would too. :)

Glad to know how my speaker being top of the Reference line. If the 4 drivers are not sort of paired, I think I will swap the driver simply for better looking:-)

Thank you for your suggestion even on another forum. I am waiting for the new driver and heard some people talking about I should pair the driver with other 3 on my speaker. But if Klipsch is not doing that anyway when manufacturing them, I shouldn't worry about pairing process right?

They're just transducers, not really like dye lots on curtains that need to be matched. :) Generally speaking, if it were pretty old you might notice some difference before the new one is broken in. New one like you mentioned though, not so much.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Thanks everyone! Yea it is bugging me a lot after knowing there are two dimples on my new purchase. But I guess I got no other options as it might be not considered as defective?

I hate to say it but this is probably going to happen again in the future. If you even look at those cones funny they sprout a dimple. I personally wouldn't consider it to be defective at all but can certainly understand wanting a new and expensive item to be absolutely flawless in every way. I baby my stuff like crazy and have one on one of my 10's.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I hate to say it but this is probably going to happen again in the future. If you even look at those cones funny they sprout a dimple. I personally wouldn't consider it to be defective at all but can certainly understand wanting a new and expensive item to be absolutely flawless in every way. I baby my stuff like crazy and have one on one of my 10's.

I agree, even though I hate this type of thing most in the world, it is still gonna come lots of time in my life. I just replaced that driver with the one seller sent to me, the new driver has the same model and it's a perfect fit. But the date this new driver was manufactured is in 2013, 2 years earlier than the drivers on my speaker (2015). And it also has slightly darker bronze color on the dust cap. Do you think different year make drivers can work together perfectly like a new speaker?