New purchase pending

RX8

Hello, new to the forum.  I am also somewhat new to Klipsch.  Purchased some Klipsch earbuds a couple of years ago and they are the best I have ever had.  So, I thought I would give them a look for some new speakers and hoping the more experienced folks can provide their thoughts.

I last purchased speakers many years ago (JBL 2800,JBL sub).  Still have two Bose 101 from eons ago which I havent used much.  I got rid of the JBL when I moved recently.  Looking for a home theater set-up for movies, PS3 and some music.  Quintets appealed to me because they do not have a big footprint. 

I had placed an order for V Quintets and a R-10 sub.  Price was very good with HHGregg ($674 out the door).  However, they never shipped after they told me the "shipping labels were printed".  Their own employees didn't know about their Same Day Shipping Guaranty that is listed at their website.  After a week of run arounds I cancelled the order.  Never again with HHGregg.

I am now second guessing my decision for Quintets.  Some sale prices have me considering the following:

RP-150M X 2 for the mains ($334)

RP-250C for the center ($294)

R-110SW sub ($439 with free wireless kit).

For the surround speakers, I may hold off to see if the R-14M goes on sale.

Still need to convince the wife that this would be a better deal even though it would be about $500 more than the Quintets.

I could also bring the price down lower if I chose instead the R-15M and R-25C over the RP's.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks!

Edited by RX8

I recently picked up a pair of R-15m's for a friend's dad.

They sounded nice and clean and delivered the bass and punch his dad wanted, but compared to my RP160's I felt that the midrange was lacking and the bass sounded slower and a bit sloppier.

If you can swing for the RPs, you won't really get the upgrade itch anytime soon.

However, I'd suggest looking at your local craigslist for some used Reference gear. At least for some real Reference surrounds to match your RP fronts, instead of R-14m's.

I have a reference premiere setup for sale for 800. Where are you located?

And welcome to the forum.

EDIT: I see someone already posted a link to it above? Get me a zip and I can check shipping if you aren't close.

Edited by Scrappydue

Hello, new to the forum.  I am also somewhat new to Klipsch.  Purchased some Klipsch earbuds a couple of years ago and they are the best I have ever had.  So, I thought I would give them a look for some new speakers and hoping the more experienced folks can provide their thoughts.

I last purchased speakers many years ago (JBL 2800,JBL sub).  Still have two Bose 101 from eons ago which I havent used much.  I got rid of the JBL when I moved recently.  Looking for a home theater set-up for movies, PS3 and some music.  Quintets appealed to me because they do not have a big footprint. 

I had placed an order for V Quintets and a R-10 sub.  Price was very good with HHGregg ($674 out the door).  However, they never shipped after they told me the "shipping labels were printed".  Their own employees didn't know about their Same Day Shipping Guaranty that is listed at their website.  After a week of run arounds I cancelled the order.  Never again with HHGregg.

I am now second guessing my decision for Quintets.  Some sale prices have me considering the following:

RP-150M X 2 for the mains ($334)

RP-250C for the center ($294)

R-110SW sub ($439 with free wireless kit).

For the surround speakers, I may hold off to see if the R-14M goes on sale.

Still need to convince the wife that this would be a better deal even though it would be about $500 more than the Quintets.

I could also bring the price down lower if I chose instead the R-15M and R-25C over the RP's.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum RX8!

Agree with others on here. Not much goes wrong with a speaker, buy used and get a lot more bang for your buck!

Get something that you will enjoy for years to come! Quintets may cost over $500, but regularly sell on eBay used for $100, so get something a lot nicer 2nd hand :)

Roger

• Like 1

Scrappydue's set up is real tempting. Waiting to see what the shipping cost would be.

I understand that there are always tradeoffs with smaller speakers.  Here is what I am contemplating now.  I should add that I picked up a Yamaha receiver from Costco for $339 (model TSR 5790), which I believe is a clone of the RXV 579. My room is in the basement with tile floors and an area rug and approx. 25X25.

Found on CL Quintet's latest version V and used only "for a couple of months" and in perfect condition for $100.  These have gotten almost universal good reviews for what they are but I understand that the sound will not rival larger speakers.  I have not seen V5 for this cheap.  I could combine that with a R-110SW, currently on sale with the wireless kit included for a total of $539 ($439 + $100).  If I decide to upgrade later I have a useful sub and I am only "out" $100. 

OR

Do I go with something like Scrappydue has up for sale which are the RP-160M, RP-250C, and RP-240S for a total of $800 + shipping?   

Would a sub be absolutely necessary with the RP-160 set-up?

In a nutshell, do I go with smaller, cheaper V5 with R-110SW for $539 or bookshelf RP's with dedicated RP surrounds but no sub for $800 plus shipping?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RX8

Welcome to the forum RX8. Not sure if Quintets will be enough to fill the room you have. I had Quintets in a similarly sized room and it underwhelmed me.

Scrappy has a nice set up so I am not stepping on his toes. His speakers are a sweet set up.

I have several Klipsch speakers I can part with as my cup is overflowing so to speak. I have a set up with a pair of SB3's and a pair of B2's centered by a KV-3. All speakers are in the black finish. This set up sounds really nice together. Not mint, but nice condition. I would part with this stuff pretty cheap since I was set to use it in my daughter's room and she decided she only wanted a two channel set up. Let me know if this interests you.

Tim

I don't know why everyone thinks pallet shipping is so cheap. I looked into it with every company on here that people reccomended with the palladiums. Cheapest I found was like 700$.

Shipping these speakers to the op with my discount is 108$. Not much at all really for 4 boxes I don't think. If anyone can find a pallet shipper that can beat that by all means. But always seems to be a very long phone call to discuss what I'm shipping just to be told it's crazy expensive. Then when I ask why they say cause it's taking up floor space on a large truck. Khorns I could see. But a bookshelf based rp setup I don't think it would be worth it.

• Like 1

$108 for 4 boxes is dirt cheap.  That is a nice company discount.  With palette shipping you pay for the palette and not per item.  Depending on what's being shipped it can be cheaper when paying retail rates. If the OP can get your speakers he would have a sweet system and won't be asking what if down the road.

• Like 1

With palette shipping you pay for the palette and not per item.  Depending on what's being shipped it can be cheaper when paying retail rates.
and where oh where do you find this at? cause i literally called every place i ever seen recommended on here and every single on the companies wants to know what you are shipping to categorize it. they have to know weight and value and all that jazz.  

I'm happy with my RP-160's with no sub.

Bass is perfectly balanced and integrated and goes deep enough for my needs. Ideally, I'd like another 10-15hz lower, but what's there is plenty powerful.

how about with movies though?

I'm basically 90% music, but I still feel the same when watching movies.

Most of the music I listen to reaches as low as movie soundtracks anyway.

Edited by mattSER

Bass is perfectly balanced and integrated and goes deep enough for my needs. Ideally, I'd like another 10-15hz lower, but what's there is plenty powerful.

:unsure:  :huh:  :sad:  :emotion-41:  :emotion-41:  :emotion-41: :emotion-41: !!! 

:unsure:  :huh:  :sad:  :emotion-41:  :emotion-41:  :emotion-41: :emotion-41: !!! 

Yes, I'm talking EDM, sir  :ph34r:  :P

• Like 1

:unsure::huh::sad::emotion-41::emotion-41::emotion-41: :emotion-41: !!!
lol
  • Like 1

:unsure::huh::sad::emotion-41::emotion-41::emotion-41: :emotion-41: !!!

Yes, I'm talking EDM, sir :ph34r::P

Whoops, I just realized I wrote "most".

I listen to a lot of EDM, but "most" of my music is rock and jazz.

• Like 1