Upgrading Home Theater Speaker System

ajgale1975

You came here for advice. Let me give it to you one last time. The 15" sub is FAR better. Period. And your 1400 cubic foot room with an entire wall missing in the back makes it an almost 3000 cubic foot room. Your saving money on smaller surrounds and towers so that 250$ extra is a moot point? Sorry If this comes off rude but your asking advice and seem like your not wanting to take it.

• Like 1

By far the two most important home theater speakers are the center and sub. If compromises need to be made, I'd try as hard as possible not to make them with either of those.

I have a 12" sub...it's a fine little sub. I've been planning to upgrade it since the day I bought it.

• Like 2

I think the most important HT speakers are the L/R fronts. You can love without a center or a sub, but hard to live without mains :D

I guess we agree to disagree then.  ;)

Since dialogue and LFE are so important in movies, I'd much rather run mediocre mains with a strong center and sub than the other way around.  But, that's my opinion...

OP, you've gotten a lot of good advice...now it comes down to you figuring out what you want to do in your room. 

• Like 1

Your center is THE most important speaker that the HT system anchor's too!  It reproduces the highest percentage of dialogue, a lot more than your mains.  I would buy the 15" subwoofer over the 12" any day of the week because that is what generates the impact during action sequences.  Especially since the 115 can be had as low as $649.  To each his own.

• Like 1

I think the most important HT speakers are the L/R fronts. You can love without a center or a sub, but hard to live without mains :D

I guess we agree to disagree then.  ;)

Since dialogue and LFE are so important in movies, I'd much rather run mediocre mains with a strong center and sub than the other way around.  But, that's my opinion...

OP, you've gotten a lot of good advice...now it comes down to you figuring out what you want to do in your room. 

I meant it as a joke, like it's hard to live without mains :D

I guess we agree to disagree then. ;)

Since dialogue and LFE are so important in movies, I'd much rather run mediocre mains with a strong center and sub than the other way around. But, that's my opinion...

I meant it as a joke, like it's hard to live without mains :D
i actually once watched an entire movie with out my mains plugged in on accident. There was so much going on in the center and surrounds and my room was so small I didn't notice till the next day when I went to listen to music and nothing was happening. LOL!

What a waste of time! You come here asking for advice and then listen to a salesman vs people who are passionate OWNERS of these products. Bet 1000$ mike sells these and doesn't own a SINGLE Klipsch speaker in his home. hope you love it. Shipping it back will be expensive plus restocking fee if you end up wanting what we all told you to get. But hey what do we all know.

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 2

Order placed, though Mike, surprisingly convinced me to go with the 12" since i will be 50% movies, 50% music. Hope 'twas right decision. We will find out next week :)

I'm late to the party as usual.

As previously stated; If you are mainly music, then your front left and right become more important, but if you are at all the least bit serious about watching movies then absolutely the two most important speakers are by far the center for voicing articulation and the sub!

as stated previously, with your room being open to another, your needs increased exponentially and the difference in a single 15 and a single 12 inch driver is HUGE! I would not use a sub as tiny as a 12 in anything larger than a freakin bedroom if I wanted any visceral impact with explosions. 

Let me ask you a question? Are you capable of changing your own oil or working on your own car what so ever?

Would you take the advice of the idiot behind the counter of your local O'Riley or Advance Auto Parts store?

You do realize that these idiots can't get you the correct part half of the time when you tell them exactly what you want, don't you?

Why then would you take some minimum wage earning novices advice at an Audio store who doesn't even have the financial resources to stick his foot in the pool.

Really questioning your thought process or lack there of here?

Scrappy gave you excellent advice here :(

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1