Jason Str - Your Eggroll Recipe Awaits You

Jeff Matthews

I saw your post in the Chinese restaurant thread.

Eggrolls are very, very easy to make.

Buy:

1. Cooking oil for deep-frying (vegetable, peanut, canola, or whatever)
  2. 1 pound ground pork (this will be near ground beef in the store).
  3. 1 16 oz bag of pre-mixed cole slaw.
  4. Frozen egg roll wrappers (not all grocery stores have them, but they are easy to find in a big city)

The cole slaw looks like this:

op-coleslaw.jpg

The egg roll wrappers look like this:

0004717_gefen-egg-roll-wraps.jpeg

Directions

Dump the cole slaw and uncooked pork into a mixing bowl.  Add a generous amount of salt and pepper.  Mix thoroughly.  This is your filling.

If you have a deep fryer, pre-heat it to 375 fahrenheit.  If not, pre-heat enough oil in a small, deep sauce pan to permit you to fully submerge an egg roll while cooking.

Put a thawed (but still cold) egg roll wrapper on the countertop, in front of you.  The corner should face you, so that it is oriented like a diamond shape (not a square shape).

Take a few tablespoons of filling and put it on the wrapper.  Put it fairly close to the corner closest to you.  Tuck the sides in over the filling.  Roll it up.  Dab a drop or 2 of water at the end (the far corner of the wrap) to seal the wrap to itself.

Submerge the egg roll in the oil for about 2 or 3 minutes.  

Repeat.

These things are delicious!  Enjoy with some duck sauce.

asian-gourmet-duck-sauce-102047.jpg

• Like 2

Just for reference that Moo Moo song was written about some guy who got busted sneaking into Lincoln park zoo and nailing a cow and was caught brown handed.

Careful, you might be insulting some Texans…

I won't judge anybody and never been to Texas anyways.

Yum love egg rolls. If your ever in the Katy Texas area go to Changs not PF Changs just Changs.

I live in Katy.  Never been to Changs, though.  My friend and I usually eat once a week at the Chinese buffet next to the Katy Mills Wal-Mart.  It's pretty good.

We have had too many Chinese buffet's close down around here lately, one was very good but lasted only a month or two.

Normally the buffet's don't have the best egg rolls but sure there are exceptions.

Yum love egg rolls. If your ever in the Katy Texas area go to Changs not PF Changs just Changs.

Yes, i could make a meal out of just egg rolls.

If I'm ever down that way. :)

Jason, we went to Chicago's China Town and asked a local where to eat.  He pointed us to a very popular restaurant at the corner of the big strip.  Presidents have gone there to eat, according to all the memorabilia all over the walls.

Based on that experience, I drew 2 conclusions:

1.  Chicago's China Town is dwarfed by Houston's.

2.  Chicago's Chinese food is "ok" / pretty good, but if that's their example of the best, we have Chicago beat in that department as well.

I love Chicago, though.  Downtown is much cooler than ours.

• Like 1

Yes, i could make a meal out of just egg rolls.

If I'm ever down that way. :)

Jason, we went to Chicago's China Town and asked a local where to eat.  He pointed us to a very popular restaurant at the corner of the big strip.  Presidents have gone there to eat, according to all the memorabilia all over the walls.

Based on that experience, I drew 2 conclusions:

1.  Chicago's China Town is dwarfed by Houston's.

2.  Chicago's Chinese food is "ok" / pretty good, but if that's their example of the best, we have Chicago beat in that department as well.

I love Chicago, though.  Downtown is much cooler than ours.

When i go downtown i eat at Carson's ribs, they have the best cole slaw i ever had. I get the BBQ pork chops with all the fixins.

Can't remember ever going to Chicago's China town.

Dangit…..all this talk of egg rolls has me craving some. You guys are forcing me to send my wife out to get some for the football game :D

Great idea, make sure you have enough beer before she leaves.

Indiana still believes in prohibition, we can't buy beer or liquor on Sundays :(

That law is currently being overturned, hopefully.