My first Klipsch speakers!

SoundMind66

Thank you wvu80 for that great info! I do like deep bass and maybe later my budget and space will allow, i will have one. I think what i love more about subs is how they anchor all music deep or not, if that makes any sense.  

I will listen to just about anything once but my favs are vocal jazz and most Jazz in general but love blues,

OK then, Mr. Sound Mind, in your honor:   :)

Edited by wvu80

Mine are way smooth, listen all day great and surprisingly bassy for a small speaker. Listening right now with a smile on my face. So happy for you.

Sounds like just what I'm looking for. And since I'm not adding a sub anytime soon, a nice full bottom end will be welcome. Thanks so much.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

I've noticed that the 160s seem to respond more than usual to wall placement. Pull them away from the back wall and they sound light and lean. Push them back and bass can easily become overpowering.

I've never had another model that responds so much to wall placement. Maybe it has something to do with the tractrix port, but I feel like I have complete control over the tonal balance.

• Like 1

Mine are way smooth, listen all day great and surprisingly bassy for a small speaker. Listening right now with a smile on my face. So happy for you.

Sounds like just what I'm looking for. And since I'm not adding a sub anytime soon, a nice full bottom end will be welcome. Thanks so much.

I've noticed that the 160s seem to respond more than usual to wall placement. Pull them away from the back wall and they sound light and lean. Push them back and bass can easily become overpowering.

I've never had another model that responds so much to wall placement. Maybe it has something to do with the tractrix port, but I feel like I have complete control over the tonal balance.

Interesting, I'm building some stands for them and I estimate they will be about a foot from the back wall for starters. I'm sure I will be playing with them a bit to get the best balance of bass. Thanks for the info.

Just got them today, yeah the cart before the horse but soon I will be basking in their glorious sound! I can't wait!

Congrats.....

Soooooo what amp are ya thinking about???

MKP :-)

I think I've decided to go with the Yamaha A-S 801. Thanks to willand suggestion to look at a couple of Yamaha models. It has everything I wanted, highly rated DAC, decodes every hi rez format, and I love retro like style. I think I'll even get it in silver for more of that 70's flavor.

Thank you wvu80 for that great info! I do like deep bass and maybe later my budget and space will allow, i will have one. I think what i love more about subs is how they anchor all music deep or not, if that makes any sense.

I will listen to just about anything once but my favs are vocal jazz and most Jazz in general but love blues,

OK then, Mr. Sound Mind, in your honor: :)

• Like 1

Welcome Soundmind,,,,Your from the home of Jessie James Dupree.....You can run those with about any boom box or receiver. I have ran Heresys with a boom box during ice storm. Everyone in the area could hear them,,lol.

Just save up and get the best one you can get you will be much happier I think.I like the old HK430 but those are getting old and the one I got probably needs work. If you were closer I have a few receivers here not great ones but could get you by for a while.

Make sure you check out crutchfield and http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/4.html they have refurbished ones.

Hey thanks ricktate, I agree with you. I've made up my mind, I'm going with the Yamaha A-S 801. My budget was about half of that before but I decided to wait on a turntable for now and that opened me up to getting a much better amp.

Congrats and welcome.

If you are planning a 2 ch system and plan on keeping it that way (ie.., not transitioning to a HT rig), I'd suggest considering a separate pre- and power amp or a nice integrated amp as opposed to an AVR or other receiver. You will get a variety of opinions on this subject from many knowledgeable folks, but taking this approach has certainly enhanced the sound quality of our 2 ch system. The brands I've used in recent years are Parasound (separates) and Marantz (integrated). These have all been SS but the tube guys will have recommendations as well.

Best of luck.

Thanks ChuckAb3, yes 2 channel only. I looked at both Parasound and Marantz. Both excellent performers. I want the simplicity of one box and the Parasound integrated amp was waaaaay out of price range and Marantz has many great integrated amps but I read a review about Yamaha's A-S 801 amp and the highly rated ESS Sabre DAC. It seems like a perfect fit for me. It's at the very top of my budget but I'm sure it will be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have my first pair of Klipsch, RP 160M.

Paired with a Hegel H80 and a XTZ 10.17 subwoofer they deliver surprisingly good sound, both with music and movies.

Tomorrow I will pick up a dspeaker 8033 cinema for better subwoofer integration.

I am pretty sure the system is going to "rock my house"

• Like 1

I also have my first pair of Klipsch, RP 160M.

Paired with a Hegel H80 and a XTZ 10.17 subwoofer they deliver surprisingly good sound, both with music and movies.

Tomorrow I will pick up a dspeaker 8033 cinema for better subwoofer integration.

I am pretty sure the system is going to "rock my house"

Wow, I'm sure it will! Sounds like it already does! Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got my RP-160Ms a week ago. Let me say that these are large ;)...especially compared to the 150Ms. Glad I took the plunge and purchased them :). To me they sound like towers...very good thing ;).

I got a pair last week as well, and I agree! Sitting upright on my desk they were too tall, so I removed the bases and rotated them...perfect.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/135353-what-i-got-today/?p=1993000

• 4 weeks later...

Is it valid to lift recievers and purchase the heaviest? I used the heaviest 23 pound amp I have to drive the low end for a few months. Then as planned now drve the low end with my 13 pound amp. First setup I could turn the volume up a quarter to half way up. Changed conn now at

Is it valid to lift recievers and purchase the heaviest?

Not any longer.  It helps to know what you're weighing. 

The types with lower efficiency, which includes class a/b, the bulk of amps out there, generate a lot of heat and require appropriate heat sinking to dissipate that, which adds to their weight.  So in the case of class a or class a/b amps, weight can be used as a very crude indicator that the amp has enough heat sinking.  Compare to a modern class d type like a crown xls, which are very light weight while also being superb amps. 

Edited by Ski Bum

Why do you need a receiver - listen to AM/FM. 

I'll never buy another when I listen to online radio. I'm pushing my JBL L80s with a Yamaha A-S501 $550.00 and the RP-280F with the Yamaha A-S301 $350.00.

Nothing better than watching the Masters thru Yahoo Sports and hearing Jordan Spieth smack that ball thru a pair of Klipsch...

~

2_4_44.jpg