Which Ohm tap for Best KHorn performance

richieb

So I have a pair of nicely designed amps with 4, 8, 16 Ohm speaker connections. I know I will probably be told to try all three for best results but with stock K33 woofs and K55 mids which rating should be followed. Xovers are ALK extreme slopes.

I have followed this scenario with my 16ohm ZU's using the 16 taps and indeed they sound better.

Technically what is the KHorn recommendation?

In order to avoid having to re-EQ your Khorns, the lowest output impedance tap setting should be used.  However, I see a lot of people using their amps for EQing (albeit without much control over what's happening other than pushing the bass performance up and down).

A plot of the Khorn's input impedance from Richard Heyser's Khorn review of 1986.  Your amp should have lower output impedance than the minimum input impedance of the Khorns in order to avoid the re-EQing issue:

Heyser KHorn impedance plot.png

As the electrical input impedance of the loudspeaker (varying with frequency) begins to drift toward the value of the output impedance of the amplifier (usually constant), the amplifier begins to "couple" to the loudspeaker crossover (or in the case of direct-coupled drivers--the driver itself).  This means that the amplifier begins to act in a nonlinear fashion, and its output no longer linearly changes with its input voltage signal.  This means that the amplifier starts to drive the loudspeaker at those low-input-impedance frequencies (as shown in the plot above--the bass bin frequencies) more, thus unbalancing the equalization of the loudspeaker. 

One way to handle it is to re-EQ the amplifier and loudspeaker together so that the output is flat with frequency.  However, as the crossover network and the long loudspeaker cables begin to heat under load, the resistive portion of the impedance begins to grow (Ohmic heating), thus reducing the output of the loudspeaker again at those low impedance frequencies (i.e., the bass below ~400 Hz).   

Another way to handle it is to simply reduce the output impedance of the amplifier by using the lowest impedance tap of the output transformer so that the amplifier's output impedance remains at least 10 times lower than the loudspeaker's input impedance at all frequencies.  Then the loudspeaker-amplifier can be re-EQed, and it will remain stable under high load conditions--it's stable with load and temperature.

Chris

ALK ESNs are swamped (designed) to produce a virtually constant 6-8 ohm impedance to the amplifier (which comes from the impedance of the woofer).  You should use the 8 ohm tap when using ALK ESNs.

You can go read how to use these type of networks here.

www.alkeng.com

So I have a pair of nicely designed amps with 4, 8, 16 Ohm speaker connections. I know I will probably be told to try all three for best results but with stock K33 woofs and K55 mids which rating should be followed. Xovers are ALK extreme slopes.

I have followed this scenario with my 16ohm ZU's using the 16 taps and indeed they sound better.

Technically what is the KHorn recommendation?

Ask ALK?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/32872-new-extreme-slope-crossover-requiring-no-zobel/

I'd use the 4-ohm tap since he's claiming 6 Ohm across the loudspeaker--not 8.

In any case, you should hear little or no difference at all with the 4 or 8 ohm taps on your amplifier(s).

Chris