DIY Speaker Placement and Screen Size

bop29291

Before today I was only really considering 16:9 but now I'm thinking 2.35 since the few movies I do own seem to all be 2.35.

Be for I start the frame I would like to see an image overlay of what the two ratios will look like size wise. I have seen some screen calculators to get dimensions, but are there any that display a graphic with your own custom numbers?

Thanks so much guys for the all the replies today, I hope I can live up to your expectations. I typically get bogged down in the details which leads to nothing getting done. I call it "analysis paralysis" hence why my world is filled with many unfinished projects.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

We have a 2.35:1 AT screen 130" wide (real width, not diagonal).  It looks great from about 12 or 12.5 feet away.  The brand is Seymour.  The fabric texture doesn't show from our seating, or even a little closer.  They will provide just the fabric, or electric retractable screens, as well as some other choices.

Remember, the filmmakers (for the most part) select 2.35:1 when they want the image to be bigger on your retinas, not smaller, which a 2.35 screen accomplishes.  On our screen, narrower shapes also look good (the black/grey bars on the sides are not distracting), including 1.37:1 (movies before about 1953),1.66:1 (some foreign and some domestic films), 1.78:1 (16:9, so named so you would have to do the math to know that "wide screen" HDTV was actually narrower than the modern American standard theatrical "narrow screen"), 1.85:1 (the aforementioned standard) and 2.20:1 (the usual 70mm shape).  There are about 10 aspect ratio in all. 

I would suggest viewing in total darkness, except for the light from the projector.

Most newer projectors have a "Lens Memory" function that will allow you to zoom to a predetermined image size.  At your projector distance, you may have to re-focus, though. 

Make sure you can fully fill the width of whatever 2.35 screen you select, with the zoom adjusted for it, before you buy.

Edited by garyrc

Just throwing this out there.

If you can swing it I would 100% go with a Acoustically Transparent screen. I just converted mine over to AT a few weeks ago (my thread is a few down from this one) and It is IMO the best thing I could have done for a theater like experience. And it was super cheap to do, would be even more so if your in the US 

I also went with matching LCR which was a huge improvement. Just another option before you really start building.

May I ask what brand and type?  Is this fixed?

I am interested in one also but I will also have a flatscreen TV so the AT screen has to be roll up or another form of storage.

Just throwing this out there.

If you can swing it I would 100% go with a Acoustically Transparent screen. I just converted mine over to AT a few weeks ago (my thread is a few down from this one) and It is IMO the best thing I could have done for a theater like experience. And it was super cheap to do, would be even more so if your in the US 

I also went with matching LCR which was a huge improvement. Just another option before you really start building.

May I ask what brand and type?  Is this fixed?

I am interested in one also but I will also have a flatscreen TV so the AT screen has to be roll up or another form of storage.

Not to derail the OP thread, you can see it here. ;)

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/162164-super-budget-theater-rebuild/

Before today I was only really considering 16:9 but now I'm thinking 2.35 since the few movies I do own seem to all be 2.35.

Be for I start the frame I would like to see an image overlay of what the two ratios will look like size wise. I have seen some screen calculators to get dimensions, but are there any that display a graphic with your own custom numbers?

Thanks so much guys for the all the replies today, I hope I can live up to your expectations. I typically get bogged down in the details which leads to nothing getting done. I call it "analysis paralysis" hence why my world is filled with many unfinished projects.

Here is the max for 2.35:1. I will work on the 16:9 to see how big it can be. 

yB20GlQ.png

s8fhRgr.png

rEAKMO4.png

PRP9NcY.png

Zhs1eXf.png

gwtmCQL.png

I got carried away...   :)

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 4

In a PM, I was asked how big a 2.35:1 would have to be to hold a 110" 16:9 picture would be. I thought I would post my reply here for folks who might ask the same question:

It's math.The height of the 16:9 and the 2.35:1 would be the same, which means the 9 and the 1 side of the ratio would be equal. 

Here's the math:

y = screen height 

= screen width

2.35:1 would be 2.35 * y = x

16:9 would be 16 * y / 9 = x

The diagonal is the hypotenuse of a triangle. It's the old Pythagorean Theorem from school. 

Here's the math:

z = Screen diagonal

x2 + y2 = z2

Let's use a height of 10 to see what we have.  If y=10

2.35:1 = 2.35 * 10 = x = 23.5" width

16:9 = 16 * 10 / 9 = 17.78" width

2.35:1 diagonal = 23.52 + 102 = z or 552.25 + 100 = 652.25 and the square root of 652.25 is 25.54 diagonal

16:9 diagonal = 17.782 + 102 = z2  or 316.13 + 100 = 416.13 and the square root of 416.13 is 20.4 diagonal

Finally to your question. If you have 110 diagonal (or hypotenuse) of a 16:9 screen, then how wide would a 2.35:1 need to be? You know the diagonal of the 16:9 is 110, so you need to get the height of a 110" screen so you can solve for 2.35:1.

For this, the simplest thing to do is look at the height of a 110" diagonal screen you would buy. If you know that, you can plug it in the the 2.35:1 calculations above.  Using a typical 110" 16:9 screen height of 53.875" if, you want to know the width of a 2.35:1 screen that can hold a 110 diagonal screen inside it would be 2.35 * 53.875 = 126.61 wide. The diagonal of that 2.35:1 screen would be 53.8752 + 126.612 = 137.62. The size of that screen would be 137.6" diagonal

edit: A MUCH simplified equation is to take the 16:9 diagonal and multiply it times 1.25 to get a 2.35:1 screen with the same height.

Edited by mustang guy

DaLite makes a 133" snap on screen that is AP. http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/Projector-Screens/Da-Lite-52x122-Da-Snap-97503-HC-Cinema-Perf-Fabric-Cinemascope-Format-Projector-Screen-11722.html. It would work well in this application.

Hey all you sub guys. What would be the placement of subs in this room? He hasn't asked for this, but you know it's coming.

One more thing, I would move the right rear speaker to the back corner and use your AVR to increase the gain some. That way you have a way in to the theater seating.

Edited by mustang guy

Well unless he finds a 5th tower he would have his rc-64 as center. My personal vote would be to stash a 83 for spare parts. Move the other to center location. Sell the rc-64 or hang onto in case you ever move and can't have three towers. But then find a pair of rs-52 or 62 that take up no floor space so couch can be gotten too very easily.

Once again your enthusiasm surprises me. I didn't say it in original post, but the budget left here is next to nothing right now. I'm into so many things that none of them get the full attention they deserve, hence an 8 year old home theater that's still unfinished. My goal here is to finally complete the install. That said I want the size and placement of the screen to be accurate based on speakers I currently have for LRC and keep in mind I've been happy for 8 years with blackout cloth quality lol. Clinton's suggestion of going AR is something I'm going to do. Mustang Guy's work with screen size has helped me decide on that the 137" size 2.35 is what I plan to do. I'm leaning towards the spandex route.

• Like 1

Well unless he finds a 5th tower he would have his rc-64 as center. My personal vote would be to stash a 83 for spare parts. Move the other to center location. Sell the rc-64 or hang onto in case you ever move and can't have three towers. But then find a pair of rs-52 or 62 that take up no floor space so couch can be gotten too very easily.

Completely right. As a matter of fact, here are some big older ref speakers, the RS-35's on the bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RS-35-REFERENCE-SERIES-Surround-Speakers-PAIR-RS35-/121904848313?hash=item1c62185db9:g:PIEAAOSw~OVWzlk6

If those are your surrounds, you could use one of the RF-83's as the front center and the other one as the rear center and run a 6.1 configuration. 

Selling that center would more than pay for these rs-35's.

Once again your enthusiasm surprises me. I didn't say it in original post, but the budget left here is next to nothing right now. I'm into so many things that none of them get the full attention they deserve, hence an 8 year old home theater that's still unfinished. My goal here is to finally complete the install. That said I want the size and placement of the screen to be accurate based on speakers I currently have for LRC and keep in mind I've been happy for 8 years with blackout cloth quality lol. Clinton's suggestion of going AR is something I'm going to do. Mustang Guy's work with screen size has helped me decide on that the 137" size 2.35 is what I plan to do. I'm leaning towards the spandex route.

if your on a budget you could list a single 83 and possibly someone would snag for a center and sell your 64 as well then you will have some extra cash. Just making sure you understand that LCR (as in three identical

Speakers) is king. If you think your rc-64 is a good center switch a tower in and calibrate and try a few movie clips. You will see how inferior a horizontal center to a vertical is I would guess almost immediately.

Edited by Scrappydue

You have to forgive me but I love my RC-64. More importantly having sizable rear surrounds has allowed me to here and feel sounds from there I've never experienced before.

You'd love a matching LCR way better than the RC-64. ;)

You'll be so happy you chose to go with a AT screen regardless which center you go with.