Should I upgrade?

dtr20

I have a pair of Belle Klipsch speakers that sound amazing.  I am running them with an old Sony TA-1144 receiver.  My friend offered me first dibs on a Marantz 2250B receiver that he is picking up this weekend along with a McIntosh tube amp.  I really like the bass that is able to come out of my Belles with this amp.  Is it worth upgrading?  Will I still be able to get the same amount of bass with the Marantz?  Thanks

By all means upgrade to the Marantz. It is an old receiver, and it may need to visit the electronics repair guy, so don't throw out the Sony yet.

If you really want to make those things come to life, give us a budget figure and we will help you spend 20% more than that.   :)  Marantz has some bigger badder receivers... Here is a site full of cool data to peruse. 

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

Thanks for the info. He was told the marantz didn't work, so it's going to his friend first who will repair it, then we will see how much he wants for it.

there is repairing and then there is rebuilding. Components of the vintage of the Marantz in question need to be rebuilt not repaired, it is not the same thing. A rebuild means you replace (with new and the best quality you can afford) all electrolytic capacitors as a minimum. It is also a good plan to replace the film caps as well followed by any other parts that are worth upgrading or which may need replacement (input caps coupling caps feedback caps anything signal path supply bypass caps). Spending money on a repair is just a waste at this point better to do a full rebuild and your repair will happen at the same time, repair first and you are paying twice for parts and labour.

• Like 1

If it isn't working, I would personally pass. This is a lower value Marantz and it's a pig in a poke as they say. Most folks won't pay to rebuild/restore anything under the 2285 and that is a stretch. When you feel like you want more out of your Belles, throw a budget out there for us, and we will seriously help you find something great.

If you want big solid state sound out of a vintage receiver, it's hard to beat the Pioneer SX1250 and 1280. They don't come cheap, and a restoration can cost almost $1,000 itself. Here is one for sale that is not only restored, but they filmed the restoration process.

The cost, $1,700 and they will not ship. You would have to pick it up in Lancaster, NY. Pioneer SX 1250 sx-1250 2 Channel 160Watt Receiver - Fully Serviced and restored.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm certainly not suggesting that you buy this particular receiver. I am demonstrating that the really good ones cost a lot more because of what Moray said. It takes a great deal of expertise, a lot of time, and a lot of money. If you bought a run of the mill 1250, you can pay a guy just under $900 to restore and rebuild it for you. Of course, you will pay shipping two ways and probably wait 6 months for it.

There are some folks here who use the 1250 and 1280, and occasionally they sell one. You might post a want to buy (WTB) add in the Garage Sale section here. If the person selling is trustworthy, the forum folks will tell you. 

Edited by mustang guy

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the info. He was told the marantz didn't work, so it's going to his friend first who will repair it, then we will see how much he wants for it.

there is repairing and then there is rebuilding. Components of the vintage of the Marantz in question need to be rebuilt not repaired, it is not the same thing. A rebuild means you replace (with new and the best quality you can afford) all electrolytic capacitors as a minimum. It is also a good plan to replace the film caps as well followed by any other parts that are worth upgrading or which may need replacement (input caps coupling caps feedback caps anything signal path supply bypass caps). Spending money on a repair is just a waste at this point better to do a full rebuild and your repair will happen at the same time, repair first and you are paying twice for parts and labour.

Absolutely correct. My example.

I took a Marantz 2500 in for a evaluation locally and the pro told me to replace TWO caps, blow some air to clean up the inside would come to $400-$500. Absurd.

I decided to instead to have the Marantz 100% refurbished meaning approximately 30-40 caps being replaced as well as films, transistor etc for $1200.

Keep in mind this is about an 30-40 hr job vs the first guy maybe 30 min and there is no telling if some part will fail again. Then be charged another couple hundred? No thanks.

Do it right the first time.

On a smaller scale I'm having a Sony STR 7055 completely refurbished right now. Cost about $400 and it'll be good for another 20-30 years. Amortize that and it comes out to a sweet deal.

But first you have to love the sound of the unit and be able to compare it to others in it's league. Apples to apples. Then if you do have it sent in for a full year down & rebuild.

Good luck.