New build suggestions JWC's DBB or KPT904's

Pete H

So I'm waiting for a pair of Faital Pro's to arrive so I can play with a 2 way active build and I have come to the conclusion that I just don't have room for big horn loaded bass bins, nor do I have the corners for them so I want to build a 2 way rig utilizing 2 15's in each of the bass cabinets.  I've looked to just find a used set of KPT's but nothing so I know that JWC and Rudy and I'm sure others have built the DBB's and others here have the KPT's and I believe some have the JBL version of the KPT's so any suggestions, pro's and cons for these or other dual 15 cabinets that I should consider or does anyone have first hand experience with more than one of these that I have mentioned? 

I've built split cornscala's, own Cornwall 2's but want a 2 way with more bass output and great mids and I've lost count of how many 15's I have laying around so I'm listening.

Thanks!

Great thread looking forward to it. Still cant understand how some builders prefer the horn on top of the cab with 2 15"s below placed vertically  (maybe ease of construction)? Some say its  best to split the woofers and place the horn between the two, others like Jbl in their newest TOTL Everest project place them horizontally with the horns on top....

I would do the DBB, I think most could have an ideal how a double 15 cab would sound.  Hmm, just gave me an idea.  I have an older Peavey cab with two 15's, I might measure it and see if it will work for some drivers I have.  Just to play with.  But yes, if my next build wasn't going to be a Belle or Lascala I would go with the DBB.

Great thread looking forward to it. Still cant understand how some builders prefer the horn on top of the cab with 2 15"s below placed vertically  (maybe ease of construction)? Some say its  best to split the woofers and place the horn between the two, others like Jbl in their newest TOTL Everest project place them horizontally with the horns on top....

At this point, I'm open to suggestions but want personal experience and measured performance to be the guide.  I'm just the builder, not the developer.  LOL

following, this should be cool

not when Denise is giving me crap for working in the shop and not on her kitchen.  :angry:

Placing the woofers vertically moves the horn closer to ear level.

tc

• Like 1

Rudy is using H frame bins for his twin fifteens I think along with a big horn  using a 6.5 or 8 inch cone in the horn which I believe is an azure. Perhaps he will jump in here. see link http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/U_and_H_Frames.pdf

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project10/Project10.html

Edited by moray james

At this point, I'm open to suggestions but want personal experience and measured performance to be the guide.  I'm just the builder, not the developer.  LOL

following, this should be cool

not when Denise is giving me crap for working in the shop and not on her kitchen.  :angry:
I feel your pain, some women just don't get it ???

He got a pair of Bert's Oris horns.

Bruce

Thank you Bruce, I knew it was either the Oris or the Azure. He is running tangband wide band driver and seems really pleased. I have heard these drives in an open baffle designs and I can see why he is happy. No they are not up to AER or Lowther but they are very good never the less. I would be just as happy.