Ancestry DNA

Jim

Has anyone done the Ancestry DNA kit to test their families backgrounds? I did it for me and my wife, and am going to do the paternal and maternal next, then do the Natgeo one to trace our families beginnings and how they migrated.

I was very surprised to say the least. Was very nice doing it though.

Edited by Jim

I haven't done it, but is certainly interesting to me for sure.

I will say that I read a couple of years ago of a person who had utilized several different "companies" to do the testing/analysis and tracking, and while some of the results were similar, there was quite a bit that was very different, so I was quite leery of any further investigation at that time...I would hope that the technology and the companies running the tests have improved to an extent to make it more reliable/believable.....

How far are you thinking of going back? I was able to go back more than 400 years on the maternal side of my family by researching parish records from Norway online. I could have gone back even further  if I had the time.

My 1st male relative recorded as having a child in that parish was a listed as being a Dragon (Dragoon) in the Royal Swedish Army. Although his name was Norwegian I suspect he had been posted elsewhere under Swedish control prior to settling down.

• Like 1

I haven't done it, but is certainly interesting to me for sure.

I will say that I read a couple of years ago of a person who had utilized several different "companies" to do the testing/analysis and tracking, and while some of the results were similar, there was quite a bit that was very different, so I was quite leery of any further investigation at that time...I would hope that the technology and the companies running the tests have improved to an extent to make it more reliable/believable.....

Jim,

I was also leery in the beginning, but they have gotten better over the past year or so. Besides this one there is a company called 23andme that does an in depth one,as well as Ancestry doing 2 others, maternal (for women's lines) and paternal (men's lines).There's also the Natgeo one that traces the lineage back to where your families lines started.

I'm looking at doing the paternal one for me as I don't know who my real father is, so I'd like to at least know the heritage line.

How far are you thinking of going back? I was able to go back more than 400 years on the maternal side of my family by researching parish records from Norway online. I could have gone back even further  if I had the time.

My 1st male relative recorded as having a child in that parish was a listed as being a Dragon (Dragoon) in the Royal Swedish Army. Although his name was Norwegian I suspect he had been posted elsewhere under Swedish control prior to settling down.

I'm looking to do the mix up of my makeup, then what percentage is from my father and then mother, then with the Natgeo one, it's supposed to trace back to where "Adam and Eve" had their family lines start.The maternal side goes back further all the way to Africa and the 3 main tribes that they say we came from, and the paternal side goes back to the 4th and 5th at most.So if the line breaks somewhere in between it will give a lineage that will be god for conversation if anything.

Funny thing on mine is my makeup is way off from what some of my family stated. It shows on my end I have 14% coming from Sweden and Norway.

I am just really starting to get into the search,so I'm having issues going back to my great great grandparents.I found my great great grandmothers parents, but not my great great grandfathers parents on my mother's side.

My report shows 95% of my line is from Western Europe and the UK.

The nice thing about the Ancestry one is they start matching you up with people who are similar to your lines and you can make contact that way. Can't hurt to start that way. Only thing is they started me with 296 matches that are at least a 90%+ match on my DNA that could be anything from a 2nd cousin to a 5th cousin.

So on my end I will never know my father's family as I never even got a name. On my mother's side I can go back further. The Natgeo test will be nice to show the tracking of their beginnings.