Do the newest Klipschorns still use the K401 (resin?) midrange horn? The K55X driver?

garyrc

You can find the spec sheet for the most recent K-Horn on the company site.

It seems that variations on the K-77, K-55, and K-33 are being used. There is no specific mention of the 401 but there is a picture which seems to show the narrow end of it.

It seems to me that the newest K-Horn uses the same basic components.

OTOH, I expect it is using the redesigned crossover similar to the AK-4 which shows up on the crossover page.  I have only read that there is an AK-5 which is only slightly different.  Does anyone know specifics on this? The LS II got a great review and I suspect it is because of the newer crossover in that unit.

I have not seen any traffic on just how much different the newer K-77 and K-55 perform. 

WMcD

OTOH, I expect it is using the redesigned crossover similar to the AK-4 which shows up on the crossover page.  I have only read that there is an AK-5 which is only slightly different.  Does anyone know specifics on this? The LS II got a great review and I suspect it is because of the newer crossover in that unit.

I don't have the specifics at hand any more, but you may recall that I installed an AK-4 kit in my 1962 K-horns back around 2003 or so.  This kit included the new X-over on a new woofer panel, a new tweeter, a new mid driver, and pre-cut wires (by Monster Cable).

I had got the resin K-401 much earlier.  It was not changed for the AK-4 update.  I have seen no indication or posts on the forum that it has been superseded.  I believe it's the current model of 400-Hz mid horn.

I asked about the AK-5 shortly after I got the AK-4; it seems to have been developed in conjunction with the closed back K-horn at around that time.  I tried the couple of very minor changes to convert the AK-4 to the AK-5 -- The difference was very small, but not in favor of the -5, as it seemed to put a small hump in the mid-bass, at least in my 1962 shell.  My system retains the AK-4 K-horn by preference.

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

There is no specific mention of the 401 but there is a picture which seems to show the narrow end of it.

Thanks.

Where on the website is the picture seeming to show the narrow end of the K401?

I actually have had K401s for several years now, as well as the K77F, K55X, and AK4 X-over upgrade.   I was just wondering if they had made any further upgrades, other than exchanging the K77 and the separate front mounting bracket for one that is all in one piece (K77D?).

EDIT:  Oh, I see it.  It looks like that could be either one, or a new version.  I don't remember whether the K400 had a brace part way up.  When I get the time to walk out one of my Khorns and look at the bracing pattern of the K401, I will.  The horn in the picture looks like it may have a slight metallic sheen.

Edited by garyrc

Last time i checked out some La Scala II's and Klipschorns at the local Simply Stereo they still used the K-401 horn.

Been 2 years at the most.

Looking at the pictures of the new models on the Klipsch websight i cannot tell with the backs enclosed but the length of the horn has not changed and that would lead me to believe that the K-401is still being used to this day.

Edit: The new Klipschorn pictures clearly shows the K-401.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 1

Last time i checked out some La Scala II's and Klipschorns at the local Simply Stereo they still used the K-401 horn.

Been 2 years at the most.

Looking at the pictures of the new models on the Klipsch websight i cannot tell with the backs enclosed but the length of the horn has not changed and that would lead me to believe that the K-401is still being used to this day.

Edit: The new Klipschorn pictures clearly shows the K-401.

If they altered the 401 even slightly, Im sure we would be getting the marketing end of the improvement. 

• Like 1

401's are still the same. It is possible that a new mold has been made, but otherwise, no change. The 401 eliminated most, if not all, of any subharmonic freq vibrations associated with the 400. I have three pairs of K's; two have the 701's; the other has the 700's with a hole drilled and a lead plug installed which killed any resonance issues.