R-28F=first Klipsch

flat4

Ok so I am getting back into the whole audio thing after many years and many dollars in high end equipment.Planning one of the mwm/402 builds once i am out of this temporary living arrangement.In the mean time was thinking maybe i would do a small system in the bedroom in a month or two.

I head over to bb yesterday for an HDMI cable.Figure i would poke around the audio equipment just for the heck of it.I see they have open box r26 for 261ea and r28 for 251ea..Cabinets were a little beat up and binding strap was missing off one.So long story short they give me the 28's for $150.00ea.Now i don't have anything to power them.So i see an open box 2 channel insignia receiver on the cheap.Lol I grab that and some 16ga rocket wire.Get home proceed to biwire them do to missing bridge strap.Hook up a 2003 vintage but barely used sony cd/dvd player that's sitting here.

Now i am thinking this isn't gonna sound all that good.Crappy electronics, do to space limitations they are back up to the wall, against the dresser on the insides.Left outside 6 inches from a desk.Right outside 3 feet from wall.Oh so slightly toed in.I am thinking that they would be real bright.Can't stand that!Well to my total amazement and considering the set up these things soundstage, image, are crystal clear, dynamic and oh so smooth!I just can not believe it!It doesn't matter what type of music or even the source.CD/Pandora from the laptop via bluetooth.Can crank them up with no brightness or changes in sound.Can play at really low night time going to sleep levels with no losses either.Really not sure how it can be this good all things considered.I look forward to a better front end down the road.Maybe a small Crown xls series with a small preamp and better cd player.Want to keep this as a low cost system so that is the only restraint but i know these pups will really come alive with better electronics.Any suggestions are welcomed.

I now realize back in the day lots of what Klipsch can do is what i was searching for.Ashame i threw away all that time and money.It really is amazing how great this low end system sounds!Klipsch owner for life!

Thanks for reading guys!

Edited by flat4
  • Like 1

I had the old Icon VF 36's from BB and love them.  I still have the Icon VF 35's in the family room.  Don't worry about the electronics and sit back and let the music play!  People are enjoying all of the various Klipsch series and lovin' it. :)

I have the 28Fs in one theater.  Although they are not the RP280s I'm honestly not sure the difference would be worth it unless you really want a great speaker...and then I might not even say the 280s.  The tweeter is aluminum instead of titanium, and the woofers are made of a different material.  BUT -- they do sound pretty good.  I'm sure at a very high volume level there's a big difference, but not one that matters to me.  

My 1st Klipsch speakers were the r28f and they are good speakers for the price(Black Friday discount). Compared to the rp280s or the rf7iis which I now own, there is a big difference when played at high volumes. I've only heard the rp280s in a store but was very impressed. I also have my rf7s hooked to a crown xls1502 and a Marantz receiver for a pre amp. I don't think you could go wrong with a crown amp and I would probably be careful using an insignia receiver as it may not have enough power for the r28s.

Edited by 50shadesofGreg

I have the 28Fs in one theater.  Although they are not the RP280s I'm honestly not sure the difference would be worth it unless you really want a great speaker...and then I might not even say the 280s.  The tweeter is aluminum instead of titanium, and the woofers are made of a different material.  BUT -- they do sound pretty good.  I'm sure at a very high volume level there's a big difference, but not one that matters to me.  

Even though the tweeter and woofer material are different, that is not a major concern.  Just looking at the Heritage speakers and use paper woofers.  Woofers and tweeter can be made of a lot of different material with great results.

Thank you guys!Yep they were open box.Actually they had no box.Lol Yeah they call the Insignia 100 watts per channel but who knows what it really is.I can honestly say even at my loudest play levels in my current room it is not straining at all.Vey amazing really.

• Like 1

open box 2 channel insignia receiver on the cheap.Lol

Hey congrats on doing it all on the cheap.   You got 90 percent of what you need,  going for that last 10 percent in sound going to cost you.   I have a few cheap receivers in the house and you know they don't sound that bad either.   Most people listen to music on built in TV speakers or factory car speakers.    What you have is miles ahead of that.

Welcome back to the audio game!

open box 2 channel insignia receiver on the cheap.Lol

Hey congrats on doing it all on the cheap.   You got 90 percent of what you need,  going for that last 10 percent in sound going to cost you.   I have a few cheap receivers in the house and you know they don't sound that bad either.   Most people listen to music on built in TV speakers or factory car speakers.    What you have is miles ahead of that.

Welcome back to the audio game!

Thank you BobK!Yeah i am gonna do what derrickdj1 said and just sit back and enjoy the music for now and amazing i can do that with so little money spent.I have spent thousands more and always had to change and tweak.These just don't seem picky.Of course i realize i could get them better but for now rather just enjoy!

I once read on the internet that horns are honky, therefore it must be true.  You must be reminded of that fact.

:o

Congrats on the good buy!

Yep they are extremely honky Richard!Lol They really just keep amazing me!I want to thank all the guys here for not lynching me do to my current electronics.Lol

Been a long day.Time to kick back for a bit and get my horn honk on! :D

Been looking at the Yamaha R-S700 as a future upgrade.Anyone have experience with it?Looks like i could use an external amp also if these wind up in a bigger room.

Edited by flat4

.Want to keep this as a low cost system so that is the only restraint but i know these pups will really come alive with better electronics.Any suggestions are welcomed.

Get yourself a nice cheap entry level Chinese Class A SET tube amp and watch them come even more alive. Get one wired from the factory in triode mode. You'll have a nice smile on your face with them.

Being they are front ported, it doesn't matter that much on placement backing to a wall,or out in the room.

I have them also (KF-28's) and when I use them with the cardas method, come even more alive, especially with the tube amp.

Get yourself a nice cheap entry level Chinese Class A SET tube amp
like what? 

I purchased the Aiqen Audio BL-02, which has different names like Nobsound, and now Old Chen BL-02. It pushes 4 watts per channel in triode mode and pushes my Forte II with no issues, and the KF-28's even better. $189.00 PLUS $90.00 shipping and it's already built. For the DIY it runs about $149-$160 plus shipping.

And I get the 3D imaging from it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.Was not generally a tube guy in the past.I did own an Audible Illusions preamp that i enjoyed for awhile.This is really just gonna be a secondary system so not gonna go real far with it.Next year once i am in a new home i have much bigger plans for a main listening room.Could be in a good sized finished basement or pole barn.We will see what i wind up with.

To the OP why not contact Maynard (one of our members who uses the name Tube Fanatic) and rather than supporting China support an American brother who will care about you and sell you what you need and support you?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/user/40520-tube-fanatic/

Moray,

Maynard typically doesn't sell his stuff, that is why I commented what I did. Otherwise I'd recommend him in a second.

• Like 1

Jim: understood. I did not intend to knock your recommendation, rather offer a domestic alternate. Maynard was simply the first builder here who came to mind at the time. I figured that it was an opportunity to remind members that we do have very competent builders and designers on the forum. You get what you pay for and shopping at home is always a good plan. Local support and one stop shopping/shipping can save you a lot.

• Like 2