Klipsch RP-280Fs, receiver suggestions

jbezak0502

Hey everyone, new to the forum..

I recently purchased a pair of RP-280F's and anxiously awaiting their arrival.  I am very green to higher end speakers in general and would love to hear some suggestions on receivers.  I've heard good things about the Denon S900W and it falls into my budget range (looking to spend around $500).  I've read that Klipsch speakers don't require a lot of power to get the most out of the speakers..

Like to know if anyone has had experience with this receiver or if there are any other suggestions out there.  Is this too cheap/underpowered?  If necessary I'd spend more money if people think that's the best way to go...  

One last question, what's the importance of the gauge of wiring?  Recommendations?

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated!  

Thanks

Does it need to be a receiver?  If you're just looking for 2 channel, the NAD D 3020 integrated amp works great and is in your budget. 

Denon I feel is a bit bright, whereas NAD has a warmer and beefier sound.

FWIW - I have the 280F, a Denon 2808ci and NAD D 3020.  The NAD wins hands down.

Edited by Grizzog
  • Like 1

The wire size has more to do with how long of a run you have.  Generally speaking for something like this with a short'ish run, 14 would be fine.  Running massive amounts of power over a long run is a different story.  If you do the math on my sub amp, I'd lose about 400 watts on a 35' run with 14 gauge wire.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

jbezak, i am new to Klipsch and do not have the experience as the other members on this site.I can tell you i just bought the lesser version of your speakers and a using disgustingly cheapo electronics and the Klipsch sound incredible to me.I should be embarrassed buy the current electronics but i am getting some kind of sick enjoyment out of the fact that i have 500 into the entire system and it is killing it.

Grab what you can currently afford and upgrade later.Enjoy!

Here's a link on speaker wire gauge guidelines.  This wiki recommends keeping wire resistance to <5% of rated speaker impedance and includes a table by gauge, by length, by rated speaker impedance.  Yours are 8 ohm, so 14 AWG would be good for a run of up to 80 ft, using this guideline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire

Does it need to be a receiver?  If you're just looking for 2 channel, the NAD D 3020 integrated amp works great and is in your budget. 

Denon I feel is a bit bright, whereas NAD has a warmer and beefier sound.

FWIW - I have the 280F, a Denon 2808ci and NAD D 3020.  The NAD wins hands down.

I have heard really good things about the NAD D3020.  Good to know it does well with tower speakers.

WDF-NAD-D3020.jpgvs     file-2a6bdcb75bfda63e44095ddd6df1e2ec.jp

I heard/read that little NAD can thump.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

Don't worry about the amount of power.  You want good, clean power.  I have powered my Quartets, RP-280F, Heresies, and Altec 19 with the 30wpc NAD I mentioned all with great results.  For music, you can turn it louder than you could probably stand with the NAD/280 combo, without strain from the amp.

Thanks again for all the help.

adam..  I plan on staying 2-channel for now.  May add on later, but not anytime soon.  Just don't need the full package just yet.

My sources are mainly digital. 

If you plan to go surround down the road, you will need to go with an AVR, unless you are willing to repurchase and start all over at that time.

IMO, your best bang for the buck it to go with a refurb from accessories4less.com.  You can typically get a more powerful and heavier (beefier power supply) AVR for the money, if you go this route.

A couple examples:

$500: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6009/marantz-sr6009-7.2-receiver-wi-fi/bt/airplay/1.html#!more

$600: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr838/onkyo-tx-nr838-7.2-atmos-network-a/v-receiver-hdmi-2.0-wi-fi/bluetooth/1.html#!specifications

If you are 100% sure that you will never expand to surround sound, you open up options for new or used integrated amps or separates.

For example, if you can stretch your budget to $700:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas801bl/yamaha-a-s801-stereo-integrated-amplifier-w/built-in-dac-black/1.html#!more

Edited by adam2434

For example, if you can stretch your budget to $700:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas801bl/yamaha-a-s801-stereo-integrated-amplifier-w/built-in-dac-black/1.html#!more

I just bought the same amp. For $899. Couldn't be happier with it. Driving a pair of Heresys. Super clean power. Bass, treble, and variable loudness, That's it. Cleaner and more powerful than the Rotel RSP=1068 and RB-170 I was using before,  I'm running the Yamaha RBA-11 bluetooth receiver. Another excellent product. Streaming amazon music through it. Sounds pretty good. Next I'm setting up an old Mac Mini for high res. 

The A-S801 is an excellent choice at 100 watt. Not sure its needed as my next addition will be the A-S501 at 85. Don't feel 15 watt is worth $250.00

This A-S301 at 60 watt pushes my old JBL I bought in 1992 which are not as efficient as today's speaker much cleaner than I ever imagined.

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Edited by dncdesign

• 1 month later...

Hello I'm new to this forum bit I would like to add my experience and hopefully help anyone who might need it. I'd say for the RP280F you really want to give it a minimum of 10 true wpc. I've heard them hooed up to 80 watts 110 watts and 200watts. Many ppl say that they are efficient and thus you don't need alot of power. In theory this is true however 100 is the minimum anything less an you will start to miss out on what this tower can really do. At 100 and above you will be able to get the cabinet to fill up with air and allow the cabinet to really do what it can which is to replicate beautiful lows that have an impressive resonance to them. It addsa sophisticated level of dynamic depth. Midrange will also sound much fuller and responsive. At 80wpc you don't really get these nice details. I'm using a Yamaha RX-A1050 and got it for 880 shipped brand new. I heard them hooked up to a xpa5 and the sound was complete. On myYamaha it's as solid as you can get for 110wpc but the midrange doesn't have as strong presence and articulation as it did when I heard them at my father's with the XPA5. I specifically chose theYamaha due to its preouts so in the near future I'll be bumping up the POWER :) hope this helps

Edited by Speakerklipschman