Does anyone offer a direct fit replacement for a K55...

Schu

Thanks for the clarification.  So $1200 of that $1800 is 2" compression driver cost, and $600 for the horns.  That sounds a lot more reasonable.

7 hours ago, muel said:

The difference from stock is about 1800 bucks. :)

The Fastrac La Scala with the K-55 driver sounds restricted in comparison to the Eliptrac with the BMS driver.  The drop in Fastrac is an improvement over the k-400 but the Eliptrac is a bigger jump.  As life like as stock La Scalas sound it is a new level with the Eliptracs.  

A new level? Meaning a more clearer sound more detailed sound.

I suppose its hard to explain unless one is exposed to the sound.

On 1/5/2017 at 11:09 PM, Sid K said:

A new level? Meaning a more clearer sound more detailed sound.

I suppose its hard to explain unless one is exposed to the sound.

Sorry I missed this earlier.  

Here are some more... open, clear, accurate but still live, natural, smooth but still revealing...

Pretty subjective stuff I know but those are the words that come to my mind.

Yes, the A-55g driver from Crites is a nice option. I recently replaced a pair of old push-pin style, single phase plug k-55v drivers in my HIP's with the A-55g's and the difference was quite noticeable, much more open, natural and clear sounding.

"We are happy to announce the availability of a new product.  This is a new driver to replace the Klipsch K-55X, K-55V, K-55M, K-51V or any others with 1 3/8 thread.  These are a product of John Allen of High Performance Stereo.  He has invested 10 years and $150,000 in development of this driver which he is convinced is the best midrange driver ever made.  I think he is right."

The A-55G Midrange Driver

http://www.critesspeakers.com/k-55-replacement-the-new-a.html

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

For the costs you guys are talking about, the Klipsch K-510 horn and driver are in the same ballpark (even with the necessary DSP crossover).

The real difference is that the K-510 will sound very, very good.

I believe you and am intrigued by such a nice looking horn, that is why the KI-396 has really peaked my interest. It uses the 510 horn along with the Chorus style, 15" pro woofer, I'd love to see a nicely veneered, home version in a more traditional sized / shaped cabinet like a new, 2-way Chorus I?