Shake It Up

oldtimer

The little 3.0 mag quakes around here are barely a nuisance.  Although frequent, as long as they don't get stronger I don't think there will be much general outcry against the oil and gas industry here.  Too many people, cities, and businesses have done well with mineral lease signing bonuses and royalties over the past ten or 15 years for a little shaking to change attitudes against drilling.

• Moderators

Old news. Texas Railroad Commission ruled last year that the SMU study was inadequate.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/smu-researchers-who-found-earthquake-drilling-link-sit-out-key-regulatory-hearing-7557687

Collin County passed local law banning fracking. Then that was overturned by legislature last session. A local community cannot ban fracking in Texas was the result.

Earthquakes have been around since the dawn of time.

How on earth would a bunch of scientists know better than our elected officials as to what is safe or not?

Next thing you know those scientists will be saying that your water supply is tainted up there.

• Like 1

Imagine the class actions!

Hey Jeff,

Are you interested in starting a multi Billion dollar class action law suit?

and I'm not talking about the link, but something much bigger?

Roger

Multi-Billion isn't enough.  Sorry.   :(

Kidding aside, I had a brief stint in a firm which brought me just outside the tier of Big Plaintiff's Cases.  It was then when I understood 2 things much better:  (1) in the big arena, law is a business, and (2) when big bucks are involved, you need a bottomless pit of money, and it is pretty cut-throat and nasty.  

• Like 2

Hey Jeff,

Roger

Multi-Billion isn't enough.  Sorry.   :(

Kidding aside, I had a brief stint in a firm which brought me just outside the tier of Big Plaintiff's Cases.  It was then when I understood 2 things much better:  (1) in the big arena, law is a business, and (2) when big bucks are involved, you need a bottomless pit of money, and it is pretty cut-throat and nasty.  

This would be in the hundreds of Billions if not trillions :)

Big enough for ya yet?

Rog

• Moderators

Hey Jeff,

Roger

Multi-Billion isn't enough. Sorry. :(

Kidding aside, I had a brief stint in a firm which brought me just outside the tier of Big Plaintiff's Cases. It was then when I understood 2 things much better: (1) in the big arena, law is a business, and (2) when big bucks are involved, you need a bottomless pit of money, and it is pretty cut-throat and nasty.

Where is John O'Quinn, Shirley Helm, George Pletcher . . . when you need 'em?

I think it is time for someone to file a class action law suit challenging the constitutionality of the disproportionate amount of tax the middle class pays over the wealthy AND the poor, and that disproportionate amount needs to be refunded by the government. How that for a big case to break the bank?

Roger

I think it is time for someone to file a class action law suit challenging the constitutionality of the disproportionate amount of tax the middle class pays over the wealthy AND the poor, and that disproportionate amount needs to be refunded by the government. How that for a big case to break the bank?

Roger

The ill you describe is part of the political law-making process.  Famous words in a case whose name I forget:  "The power to tax is the power to destroy."  

Congress' power is very, very broad.  A suit like that would not fly.

Roger

The ill you describe is part of the political law-making process.  Famous words in a case whose name I forget:  "The power to tax is the power to destroy."  

Congress' power is very, very broad.  A suit like that would not fly.

There is definitely enough money at stake that they should be challenged. :)

The only difference between the mafia and the government is the government makes it's own laws.

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

• Moderators

Roger

The ill you describe is part of the political law-making process. Famous words in a case whose name I forget: "The power to tax is the power to destroy."

Congress' power is very, very broad. A suit like that would not fly.

I think that was Daniel Webster's argument in McColluch v. Maryland and Marshal adopted that argument in the decision in overturning Maryland's attempt to tax the Second National Bank branch located in MD.

I seem to remember that the attempts to have a taxpayer class-action get blown out over "standing." Cohen comes to mind, but decades since i looked at it.

We have created the Congress and Legislatures ourselves. Not to say that votes are counted correctly (having run for office and served on election boards). However, we the People, retain the power to change our representatives. That we don't, is a reflection on ourselves, and our judgement. 

• Like 1

We have created the Congress and Legislatures ourselves. Not to say that votes are counted correctly (having run for office and served on election boards). However, we the People, retain the power to change our representatives. That we don't, is a reflection on ourselves, and our judgement. 

I wouldn't be so hard on the electorate.  The parties have rigged the game on every level.